Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Green Egg - BBQ grills

Got tired of cheap grills that lasted a couple of years---bought a Weber Genesis Gold

about 4 years ago. Use it year round, and it still runs like new. Would buy another

if I live long enough to wear this one out.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have spent the last few days following up on your recommendations and have narrowed it down to Holland or Weber. I want all stainless - grill, burners, etc. Holland is at the upper end of my price range. The Weber Genesis might be the ticket. I am going to look at Holland Grills tomorrow. Weber and Holland seem to have the best warranties for the $$. Gotta have something in place by the weekend or find some place for a good steak.. good thing we have a Ruth Chris here...

Thanks again, everyone.

I am in the same boat as you Jack. I tired of buying a new grill every 3-4 years. I use mine 3-4 times a week (any meat get cooked on this). It is going to be Holland or a Weber for me. The only thing I do not like about the Holland is that the burner is either on or off. No adjustments from what I have told, but I may not have recieved the correct information.

If I may (moderators, Jack?), let me just hi-jack this thread a little.

I invented and patented a BBQ system that can be viewed here:

The system can be adapted on many existing bbqs, used a camping grill or included as oem in a complete bbq.

What do you guy think of it ? All comments will be appreciated.

I'm in the process of launching it in Europe and am looking for some US distributors.

BTW, Jack, Weber grills are of very good quality.

Jack, one of my brothers is a certified judge for the So. Carolina BBQ Association (awesome hobby, huh?). He sees a LOT of hard-use hardware, and has worn out many grills himself due to high use. I asked basically the same question regarding burners once. I mean, if they're made of stainless, they should last longer, right? He gave some of the same explanations for them corroding as has been mentioned here. He then said if you want the high-end stuff that really lasts, get a grill with ceramic burners. They aren't cheap, though.

I can see if he has any recommendations for brand and locations to buy in your area, if you'd like.

… The only thing I do not like about the Holland is that the burner is either on or off. No adjustments from what I have told, but I may not have recieved the correct information.

That is correct. I was skeptical of this at first but I’ve done burgers, steaks, loins, Boston butts, etc. It works great for all them. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t let this keep me from buying one.

The stainless burner on my weber silver has been going strong for 10 years. I use the grill 3-4 times a week or more year round. It is still looking and working great. Based on that, I wonder jut how much better (ceramic) is really needed for anything but commercial use. Anyone used an IR grill? Let us know what you buy.

My stainless burners have been lasting pretty well, also. I don't see me investing in teh ceramic variety.

My brother does do a LOT of grilling so maybe he can justify that additional expense to himself one day (hasn't done it yet).

Jack, one of my brothers is a certified judge for the So. Carolina BBQ Association (awesome hobby, huh?). He sees a LOT of hard-use hardware, and has worn out many grills himself due to high use. I asked basically the same question regarding burners once. I mean, if they're made of stainless, they should last longer, right? He gave some of the same explanations for them corroding as has been mentioned here. He then said if you want the high-end stuff that really lasts, get a grill with ceramic burners. They aren't cheap, though.

I can see if he has any recommendations for brand and locations to buy in your area, if you'd like.

Mark, what is your brother's first name and where does he live? The reason I ask is that one of the judges (Bill Barksdale) ask me to be a judge, too. I had to decline for fear of over-indulging. :surprise::surprise:

Search Update:

Today I went to a Holland dealer. I was VERY impressed with the Holland grill. Well made. I loved that fact that you can steam, smoke, slow cook, etc. on this grill. I loved the stainless mesh cooking surface (that would make it easy to cook fish and vegetables). I was looking at the Apex and was about to "pull the trigger." The salesman said, "Before I sell you this grill, I want to ask what you expect from it - What do you like to cook?" He asked if I liked to cook steaks and sear them on the outside? I told him yes and then he said that "this is NOT the grill for me." He explained that because there is no direct heat to the meat being cooked, it will not sear a steak like other grills. I could live with that, but what really got me was his warning about cold weather. He said that in 30 degree weather or below, because the heat is not adjustable, it takes forever took cook steaks and large pieces of meat. :angry2: Damned. I really liked that grill but I cook out year round. If outside temp affects cooking, then that coul be a problem. Then do offer a "searing attachment" as an extra, but that is $300!! So, back to the drawing board. I am going to look at Napolean grills tomorrow. Napoleans are made in Canada and are all stainless. Their warranty seems to be decent.

Consumer reports rated the Weber Genesis, the Napolean Mirage, and the "Modern Home Products as the top 3 grills in the $900 range. Unless Napolean or another brand impress me, it looks like I will go with the all stainless Weber Genesis. The Genesis grill was $899, which is the same price as the Holland Apex. We'll see.

Mark, what is your brother's first name and where does he live? The reason I ask is that one of the judges (Bill Barksdale) ask me to be a judge, too. I had to decline for fear of over-indulging. :surprise::surprise:

His name is Hugh. You can't miss him.

Just short of 6' 8" and ugly as me.

Search Update:

Today I went to a Holland dealer. I was VERY impressed with the Holland grill. Well made. I loved that fact that you can steam, smoke, slow cook, etc. on this grill. I loved the stainless mesh cooking surface (that would make it easy to cook fish and vegetables). I was looking at the Apex and was about to "pull the trigger." The salesman said, "Before I sell you this grill, I want to ask what you expect from it - What do you like to cook?" He asked if I liked to cook steaks and sear them on the outside? I told him yes and then he said that "this is NOT the grill for me." He explained that because there is no direct heat to the meat being cooked, it will not sear a steak like other grills. I could live with that, but what really got me was his warning about cold weather. He said that in 30 degree weather or below, because the heat is not adjustable, it takes forever took cook steaks and large pieces of meat. :angry2: Damned. I really liked that grill but I cook out year round. If outside temp affects cooking, then that coul be a problem. Then do offer a "searing attachment" as an extra, but that is $300!! So, back to the drawing board. I am going to look at Napolean grills tomorrow. Napoleans are made in Canada and are all stainless. Their warranty seems to be decent.

Consumer reports rated the Weber Genesis, the Napolean Mirage, and the "Modern Home Products as the top 3 grills in the $900 range. Unless Napolean or another brand impress me, it looks like I will go with the all stainless Weber Genesis. The Genesis grill was $899, which is the same price as the Holland Apex. We'll see.

Jack, I sear practically everything when I grill. The Holland sounds more like a smoker than a grill.

OK. I bit the bullet Friday. I ended up buying a Vermont Castings grill: http://www.myownbbq.com/content/products/p...ails.cfm?id=425

This is a solid and hefty grill. I picked this one because it had a good warranty and the place where I bought it will come and service it if anything goes wrong. It has good reviews on CR, etc. I wanted U.S. made but most U.S. were out of my price range. This one is made in Canada.

I was down to Napolean, Broilmaster, and Vermont Castings. The Napolean was nice but the housing was thin. It had a pretty good warranty and was made in Canada. The Broilmaster was a nice grill and had good reviews. The cabinate was sort of thin and was not stainless - painted aluminum. But the stainless components were very well made. It was pricey. I also looked at the Buck grill. It is a cross between the holland and a conventional grill. It had a decent price and seemed to be a nice grill. The warranty on it was not very good - probably one of the weakest warranties I saw.

Now, if money wasn't a problem, I would have gone with the Vidalia (made in Georgia). This has to be the most impressive grill I saw: http://www.vidaliagrill.com/products/vidal...-model-628.html

I pick up the grill tomorrow...can't wait... I'll have to go out for a steak tonight...but will be cooking tomorrow... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

*note: merged threads*

Big Green Egg

?? Do any of you guys own one of these grills,,cooked on one,,www.thebiggreenegg.com --let me know what you think ?? :unsure:

I wwant to buy one--

Edited by Flexmoney

I love mine. I have done a lot of different foods on it. For grilling, hotdogs, brats, steak, Spatchcock chicken. I have smoked pork sholders, ribs and Brisket. My favorite is the brisket.

For long smokes I use a BBQ guru, which regulates the temp. Kind of a set it and forget it options. www.thebbqguru.com, I am sure there are others but this is what I run.

I hit this place up from time to time for recipes. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm

Just find some good lump, a good rub and enjoy.

I like the Green Egg and use it for family dinners and such but my typical weekend requires the big offset getting fired up. The Egg is a lot easier on the charcoal than my offset or any other pit I have used outside of a pellet which I do not own (different topic).

SS

?? Do any of you guys own one of these grills,,cooked on one,,www.thebiggreenegg.com --let me know what you think ?? :unsure:

We got one for my Dad for Fathers' Day this year. Best gift we ever gave him. All I've eaten off of it is steaks, but they are amazing! He told me that it takes a little bit to relearn how to cook on them, but once you do it's fantastic.

One thing though, be sure to shop around. I talked to every dealer in the area before we bought ours, and they all gave us the same price. However, when we went with the dealer nearest us, they managed to give us a 20% discount in the store.

I'm on my second Kamado style smoker - after 8 years of New England winters the first one cracked - I replaced that one with

a GreenEgg which is now stored indoors for winter.

The GreenEgg does not get used too much since I bought the German Grill http://www.germangrill.com/

If your a fan of charcoal grilling this is a great unit - a little pricey but nice quality.

My wife discovered it, and once we looked at one, we bought a BGE. If you're thinking of going Big Green, get the next size up from what you might think you need.

The first thing we cooked as a standing rib roast that had been "lost" in the freezer for a year. It was delicious. I just did a whole chicken yesterday.

Steaks are a cinch: fire up the charcoal, and leave the airflow vents wide open. When the thermometer passes 600 degrees, throw the steaks on. Close the lid for two minutes but leave the vents open. Then flip them, and give it another two minutes. Then, close the vents and let the steaks heat-soak for two minutes more. Six minutes from steaks on to steaks off, medium rare, seared, juicy and tasty.

Or, if you want to smoke stuff, fire it up and adjust the vents (airflow) to any temp between 200 and 300. then throw on soaked woodchips, toss on your whatever, and let it run for a few hours. Or as long as you want.

As I said earlier, I don't do gas, and it is BGE or nothing for me. I'll even grill in the middle of winter.

OK -- I got to cook on TBGE this weekend with my son--he went and bought one while we were visting--Steak's I forgot how good they could be,we cooked corn on cobb,two big pork sholders,11 hours with just a small amount of charcoal,it was great,I am sold,I am going out today to a dealer,,after the air cond.man comes to fix my AC,,it's hot in here..just a note--any one want a gas grill that needs two burners and lighter ??