Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match with a revolver

JFlowers

Well, I finally broke down and did it. I shot the Palmetto Gun Club Match on Sta with my revolver. Changing from an Open Gun with Bolen/Higdon tuned big sticks to only having 6 rounds regardless was an eye-opening change. How you approached a stage was so completely different!

I shot three stages well, one stage okay, and one stage .... well when the plan went to hades, you can't just seat another mag od 20+ home, take a breath, and finish the stage with ease when you are shooting a revolver!

But the major thing was ... I had a blast! This coming Saturday is a Classifier Match at Mid-Carolina and I think I am going to shoot the Revolver and get my classification at least started out well!

It's a ton of fun! It feels like I say this every year, but it really does seem like there is a big surge of interest in shooting revolver in competition right now. I think we're going to see a lot of new (and converted) wheelgunners out there at the big matches this year.

One of the "complaints" about USPSA shooting has always been the expense. Never figured out why Revolver is not more popular as an inexpensive way to shoot this game we all love. I mean I paid $300 for a used .357 S&W, less than $100 for speedloaders, and maybe $150 total in Safariland 002 and CD2 holders for the rig. Production isn't going to be any cheaper. And I have dropped more than that on a single trip to the gunsmith for the Open gun.

And thanks to everyone who told me to look for the old Dade Machine Company speedloaders. They are definately faster than the HKS since there are no COMP I-II-III speedloaders for my gun.

It's a ton of fun! It feels like I say this every year, but it really does seem like there is a big surge of interest in shooting revolver in competition right now. I think we're going to see a lot of new (and converted) wheelgunners out there at the big matches this year.

+1 Tell a friend

I shot three stages well, one stage okay, and one stage .... well when the plan went to hades, you can't just seat another mag od 20+ home, take a breath, and finish the stage with ease when you are shooting a revolver!

But the major thing was ... I had a blast!

When I changed from shooting production to revolver, it was like I was in a different sport alltogether. Once I got used to using a revolver (especially in an all auto squad most of the time) things became tremendously fun.

I get friendly ribbing from alot of auto shooters in squads that I shoot with, but I have never had a steel knockdown remain standing after I have hit it. :P Maybe that is becasue I am using .45 Colt with 250gr LRNFP and they hang around 180-185PF. :roflol: I am working on loading down to 170PF, but I have hundreds of rounds to use with the higher power factor still.

Anyhow welcome to revolver shooting and I hope that you keep having fun. :D

One of the "complaints" about USPSA shooting has always been the expense. Never figured out why Revolver is not more popular as an inexpensive way to shoot this game we all love. I mean I paid $300 for a used .357 S&W, less than $100 for speedloaders, and maybe $150 total in Safariland 002 and CD2 holders for the rig. Production isn't going to be any cheaper. And I have dropped more than that on a single trip to the gunsmith for the Open gun.

And thanks to everyone who told me to look for the old Dade Machine Company speedloaders. They are definately faster than the HKS since there are no COMP I-II-III speedloaders for my gun.

$550 to be fully equipped to shoot a match is tough to beat. Most of the popular production guns in used condition + 5 mags will consume the same amount of money and you will still be looking for decent holster and pouches.

Perhaps this is a beginning of a Front Sight Article... USPSA on a budget, with equipment legal in all 50 States.

I just shot my first USPSA match with a revolver this past Saturday also. It felt like I had to flip my brain upside down and spin it 90 degrees. It was so weird not knowing how long reloads were going to take in relation to distance. When shooting limited I always knew during the walk through that after two steps I would have the gun up. With the revolver everything was a new experience. Stage 1 of the match had four shooting positions with boxes. It felt like it took me ten minutes to find the first plate I needed to shoot. What a challenge! It was very cool.

Congratulations on the new experiences. I shot my first revolver match a few weeks ago and it was also my first time shooting USPSA. Luckily I had some help from a more experienced revolver shooter and he helped me map out my strategy. (My basic strategey was to be safe and have fun. I was able to do both) I plan to keep shooting revolver and also take a stab at Production with my Glock 34. This is a great game!!

Hehe... I shot L-10 yesterday for the first time in 10 months. When I did my first mag change my brain kinda froze.. "What else am I supposed to be doing? That's it?" :D

Enjoy yourself, the revolver is a lot more fun.

Edited by cas

I noticed one thing I was doing and that was thumb cocking the hammer on the draw. Too many years of SASS I guess. That and I found myself starting to stage the trigger as the day went on, especially when shooting steel.

Also, first speedloader centered like first magazine means 7th speedloader is too far over.... note - move speedloaders further to right. And seven speedloaders on the belt is close to not enough for big non-revolver friendly stages where you make a lot of standing reloads and dump live ammo.

I wish I had a seasoned revolver competitor to work with. Is there any good material like Matt Burkett's videos, but for the revolver? If Jerry's video helpful for the revolver basics?

I noticed one thing I was doing and that was thumb cocking the hammer on the draw. Too many years of SASS I guess. That and I found myself starting to stage the trigger as the day went on, especially when shooting steel.

Also, first speedloader centered like first magazine means 7th speedloader is too far over.... note - move speedloaders further to right. And seven speedloaders on the belt is close to not enough for big non-revolver friendly stages where you make a lot of standing reloads and dump live ammo.

I wish I had a seasoned revolver competitor to work with. Is there any good material like Matt Burkett's videos, but for the revolver? If Jerry's video helpful for the revolver basics?

Hey James, Devon here. I have shot at Statesville and I think rowan with you. I am glad you decided to go revo. Next time we are at a match, let's get on a squad together and slow the whole thing down :devil: I have a North Mtn moonclip holder that you can try, I think you'll dig it! As far as videos go you can't go wrong with Jerry's, I have watched it for 2 years and still pick up on the the little things that he does( at least in that year it was taped) and try to see tidbits of clips on youtube. Hope to see you soon, neighbor!

Well, I finally broke down and did it. I shot the Palmetto Gun Club Match on Sta with my revolver. Changing from an Open Gun with Bolen/Higdon tuned big sticks to only having 6 rounds regardless was an eye-opening change. How you approached a stage was so completely different!

But the major thing was ... I had a blast! This coming Saturday is a Classifier Match at Mid-Carolina and I think I am going to shoot the Revolver and get my classification at least started out well!

I think you and I were the only two shooting revolver--and we were not even on the same squad -- good match --haven't seen any scores though--CYA :rolleyes: