Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Legal?

JT Johnson

I was reading the Book a little and the part Brian talked about the advantages of having a front sight that didn't cycle with the slide. The sight would only arc up and down and not front to back. I believe the gun was .38 super with a comp that a had a sight mounted on it.

Would it be legal to have a setup similar to this in limited, but have zero holes drilled in the comp? Looking at the Limited/Limited10 Division rules I really don't see this as being illegal.

Thanks,

Josh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my opinion on it, not that it's worth all that much:

While the sight may be moving back and forth on the slide, it's actually moving less up-and-down than if it were mounted on the barrel (ala a non-ported hybrid). The route is definitely more circuitous than if it were simply moving up-and-down due to recoil, but the perceptible movement (the up-and-down) is less. The back and forth is so fast and is more of a depth perception/focus movement that it is (my word of the day) inconsequential.

YMMV, but I'll stick with the slide-mounted FS.

Gorilla

Unless you have gone thru the IPSC Wars regarding the transition from box gun to comp gun, you have no idea how it helps. If you are shooting iron sights it is a big help to have the front sight not shifting back and forth during a string. Been there, done that , just like Brian. He knows what he's talking about .

I can't see how the 500-gun rule is enforced...just look at the guns on display this very morning at the Limited National's shoot-off (congrats, Todd!).

For example...just how many widebody longslide .40's does Springfield make? Heck, how many of them (beyond the one Robbie uses so well) have they EVER built?

If we are going to follow the rules, we need to...follow the rules or shut up about 'em.

Just my worthless opinion, of course ;)

Alex

• 8 months later...

Shot Taran's hybrid-barreled Limited gun this weekend... a few rounds anyway. Can honestly say I didn't notice how the sight tracked (black sight... mine's FO and I can track it fine). Might have been a bit tired... also not a good enough shooter for it to make that much of a difference. ;)

Asked him when it'd be legal for Limited and he said it already was. It was interesting to notice that his hybrid-barreled gun and his non-hybrid-barreled gun were set up EXACTLY the same aside from the barrel and necessary slide cuts.

Anyhoo, like Brian said, it might be the coolest thing ever, but I couldn't tell. I compared it to my 6-inch Limited gun and they balanced about the same (with the Taran-length DC). Throw a FO FS on the 5-inch hybrid-barreled gun and after a little while I'd probably shoot it just as well (or poorly, as it were) as my 6-inch gun.

After shooting Open for a while, if I decide to change anything on the Limited gun, I might give a 5-inch hybrid barrel/slide a try.

Not that it's currently legal, but the hybrid barrel moves some of the slide weight to the barrel. You get lighter reciprocating parts and more weight where you need it in the barrel. I called Infinity over the winter, they still have not met the minimum for production. Hopefully soon.

There'd better be a retraction on the Glock Plug being an 'external modification' included along with it. No way I'm telling the guys that 2 inches of barrel isn't external, but a quarter inch of plastic isn't.

The interesting thing is that Debbie Keehart-Ross has a Taylor Freelance plug on the Glock she shoots in competition. Check out the video here to see the plug: http://jvdynamics.com/nrg/multimedia.php

My main issue with Amidon declaring things illegal for Limited/L10 is that there's not a list published of what is and what isn't legal. If EVERYONE knew, fine... but somebody has to call and figure out if what they want to do/put on their gun will get them booted out of a match or into Open (whichever is the recourse for equipment violations). BTW, I don't think DKR was booted out of A2 last year or moved to Open... then again, she might not have had the plug on the gun.

I don't understand how these plugs are different from magwells (which appear to be legal). That leads to another question... has THE submitted for approval of its magwell? Is it legal for Limited/L10? What about JP's magwell? What about Dawson's ICE magwell? What about Grams' W magwell?

As for the "external modification" thing... AFAIK external mods aren't illegal in Limited/L10 (it's recoil-reducing accessories that are disallowed), but they are explicitly banned (with the exception of grip tape) in Production.

Dalmas,

fully IPSC legal for Standard Div.

With current Rulebook edition, Standard division is a no ports/no compensators/no optics/do whatever else you want/fit the box division... ;)

No more production figures or prototypes not allowed...

I shot the medcup with a spanish lady shooting the first SVI with front sight on unported barrel I've ever seen. She reported that (compared to the "classic" SVI she shot previously) it was way easier to track the FS. She offered me to test it at the end of the match, too bad I didn't do it due to lack of time.