Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You have probably seen on tv or herd of someone like tom knapp or some extraordinary shooter, but has anyone ever tried the shoot a card in half? Well I want to know your opinion. I was playin out in the back and set up a card on an edge. I walked back 15 yards and I shot it with my .22 rifle , useing iron sights. I fired 3-4 shots and boom I cut a card in half. After a few cards, I was able to do it in 1 shot. So my question to you is : Is this an easy shot or am I that good ? I wonder if maybe I should be further back or am I not doing it the same as the pros.

You've gotta be pretty good, but the area you have to hit is a little tricky-- its a little easier than it looks since anywhere within a bullet diameter either side of the card works, and you get an inch or more vertical room to play in.

If ya just plain wanna waste some ammo, take an IPSC target to the indoor range and hang it by its head. Find out how few shots it'll take you to decapitate it!

You guys understand I'm talking about 1 shot on edge cutting the card in two pieces.

Yes and it's been done before. Munden did it on tv with a handgun. It's still a good shot though.

Edited by jasmap

You guys understand I'm talking about 1 shot on edge cutting the card in two pieces.

Yeah. Even a grazing hit can cut the card, and anything closer will. Thus almost one bullet diameter on either side of the card edge is 'acceptable' as is an inch or two vertically. It's not an easy shot, especially with a .22, but you're looking at an effective 'A-zone' that's about 1/2" wide x 2" tall. With a .45, almost a 1"x2" area.

I did it about 25 years ago with a 10/22. I don't remember how many shots it took. Distance was ~10 yards I think. Of course I cheated and used a scope.

Another time a buddy had gotten a new pellet pistol, 177 cal Crosman pump, factory iron sights. Another buddy, Arnie, and I had gone over to visit and told him he really should be able to split an index card with it. He tried and tried but could not hit it. Arnie and I both cut a card within 5 or so shots from about 10-15' away. When we left Rob was still trying to hit a card.

Good fun, I need to do some of that stuff again with my kids.

John

Edited by iainmcphersn

When I was a teenager, I used to shoot 50 ft .22 target rifle with micrometer sights. The bullseye was about .20 in diameter. So, while I never tried to shoot a card in half, if I could hit that bull, I could probably cut a card.

Having said that, I was shooting a target rifle prone supported. If I were shooting a plain old .22 offhand, I'm pretty sure I would not have done as well.

Does anyone know how far away he was when he made that shot ????

In Mundons case, he has made the shot with a pistol both SA and DA from about 5-7 yards. There is another gentleman I saw shoot a card in half with a lever action rifle from about 15 yards.

Think in terms of bullet diameter. Take for instance a .22. If the card is .015 thick, that means the bullet can be .210 to the right or left of it and still split the card. So in essance, you have a total 'target' size of .420 of an inch to mess with. For a .45acp, that increases to about .9 of an inch.

To the person who doesn't grasp this, the shot seems very impressive. To the average person who shoots a lot, it shouldn't be that difficult.

post-14421-1236092243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom S.

If it's anymore impressive, I'll try cutting a card horizotal with a .22 and then I'll try with my 1000 fps pelletgun. I'll let u know. One last question what was the name of the book by the old guy who did a trick shots , you know the one that came out like 50 years ago.

Back in my younger days when the eyes were sharp & the hand steady, I picked up a bit of change doing that with my NM .45 at 7 paces or so. Did it a few times with a .22 pistol. Much more difficult. Even did it a few years ago on 'good' day with a Glock 22. The best was splitting the bullet on an axe & bursting two ballons. ALWAYS good for a few bucks. At least I can still remember doing it.

You guys give me ideas about trick shot challenges. Please no ideas about shooting bullets in the air as it's too insafe where I live.

El presidente < 3 seconds, all alphas.

Everybody knows that can't be done, I mean geeesh... :rolleyes:

Yes I'm being sarcastic.

Cutting a playing card is fairly common. Of course cutting it with a 22 is harder. If the card is verticle all one has to do is worry about windage if it is verticle then it is considerably harder.

We used to cut cards at 7 yards and with the larger calibers it was easy. Not all could do it but a considerable few could. It just takes practice. Cut one with a 22? Now that is good. Never done it with a 22. Smallest caliber I have done it with was the 38. Need to try it so you can say you did it. :cheers:

If it's anymore impressive, I'll try cutting a card horizotal with a .22 and then I'll try with my 1000 fps pelletgun. I'll let u know. One last question what was the name of the book by the old guy who did a trick shots , you know the one that came out like 50 years ago.

Was that " Fast and fancy shooting" by Ed Magivern (sp) ? Just a guess later rdd