Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bagging your gun between stages

Just say no.

It's stage management. Point the competitor at the nearest safe table, and get the next one going.

If I'm the next competitor you're likely to get a "Not Ready" from me......

You'll be moving down the line for a while. Bottom line --- running a stage successfully requires a certain level of cooperation between ROs and the squad of shooters. Don't want shooters bagging/unbagging on the line? Probably best to request that at the beginning, when you're reading the walkthrough. Most (hopefully all) will cheerfully comply. Get someone with brainfade --- deal with it. Is having that person step down really the best way to move the process along, given that the next competitor may not be ready?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if push comes to shove, I'll send the shooter to the safety area and my crew will take a break until he/she comes back. That way we prevent the "not ready" situation.

Bill I know you did that shot deliberately. I had eye strain for about 4 hours over that. :devil:

Edited by Gary Stevens

Coming from someone with a chronic back problem, that normally feels fine but flairs up after unexplained stress, I can't believe how anal you guys are being about it. It takes about 5 seconds, at most, to bag or unbag the gun. I've seen some shooters take longer than that just checking and rechecking their dot and doing their little pre-stage ritual. You all seem to put up with that without complaint.

Safety aside, do we really want to be so anal and inflexible that we make people feel unwelcome and take all the fun out of it? Safety first, then fun! Otherwise, what's the point?

I bag between every stage. It helps keep my back out of pain, keeps my belt around my waste instead of ankles, and gives me more time to paste and set targets, load magazines, and generally participate in a positive manner. If I was asked to go to the safety area to re-bag, or kicked out of the lineup because my gun was in a bag, I wouldn't make a big thing of it. However, I would then also add that RO to the list of people that I prefer to avoid, instead of people I want to spend time with. Plain and simple.

Edited by Jeff686

I have had zero problems carry a gun rag in one hand and a timer in the other.

Same here. I've done it many times.

The transfer is another story. I had a shooter that I went to give the gun rug back to...he thought I was gonna hold it for him while he put his gun in it. We didn't almost drop the gun, but it did light up our radar real quick.

THAT's scary. I'll have that in mind next time.

The transfer is another story. I had a shooter that I went to give the gun rug back to...he thought I was gonna hold it for him while he put his gun in it. We didn't almost drop the gun, but it did light up our radar real quick.

Well Kyle and Mark, I guess you guys know more than me... I've had to stop a shooter from sweeping me and the gallery a couple of time and was glad that I had a free hand to do it. Once I even had to grasp a wrist... I would have had a hard time doing that with a timer in one hand and a rug in the other. ;)

I don't have a problem with it, but there can be a good bit of time lost at majors. Think of this... 10s x 200(shooters)/60 = 33mins

That assumes that every single competitor is bagging on the line.

I've never seen more than a small sample of shooters ask to do so.

Well Kyle and Mark, I guess you guys know more than me... I've had to stop a shooter from sweeping me and the gallery a couple of time and was glad that I had a free hand to do it. Once I even had to grasp a wrist... I would have had a hard time doing that with a timer in one hand and a rug in the other. ;)

I hold it in my hand and can drop it if needed. It's not stapled to my palm.

;)

;)

I hear you Mark, but it's not for me... sometimes shit happens so fast that I feel better not having to deal with it.

;)

Stapled to my palm, must be a Georgia thing :roflol:

The 5 seconds at the line argument works both ways. If it takes 5 seconds while I'm clearing you, it would take about the same for you to walk over to the safe area and bag it yourself.

Again, in the Nationals, Area matches and Sectionals I've RO'ed/CRO'ed, I'll tell you that you're not bagging on the line because the crews I've been on, we want to move folks through quickly, so that they can get on with their day, and we can get a rest before the next squad comes on.

Rich

I'm with SA Friday. The Armageddon sandstorm on day two at HDC showed how quickly and safely a squad can bag and unbag. Almost every shooter on our squad either had a bud hold their gun rug while they shot or they went to the safe area while they were on deck to gun up and then directly there afterwards. It helped a lot that there were safe areas at every area of course.

I don't do it under normal circumstances but rain, terminal sandstorms, plagues of locusts.... I bag it.

The 5 seconds at the line argument works both ways. If it takes 5 seconds while I'm clearing you, it would take about the same for you to walk over to the safe area and bag it yourself.

Again, in the Nationals, Area matches and Sectionals I've RO'ed/CRO'ed, I'll tell you that you're not bagging on the line because the crews I've been on, we want to move folks through quickly, so that they can get on with their day, and we can get a rest before the next squad comes on.

Rich

Oh, I would gladly bag/unbag at the safety area IF it is in the bay. I never realized some places had one in every bay. I've never had that luxury. Everywhere I've been the safety areas are usually a few bays away.

I really hope they have one in each bay at the Nationals. That would be so convenient!!

In all the shooters I've run, it's a rare thing to see shooters that bag. Of those, there just isn't a time issue. That isn't even a blip on the radar.

If you want to regulate time...then regulate time.

Having a gun rag in my hand while RO'ing...not a safety issue. Again, not even a blip on the radar. Heck, I've run plenty of shooters with a timer in one hand and a clipboard/pen in the other...and still never needed to drop my cigar. ;)

If you don't like shooters bagging, that is fine. Just go with that. But, I don't think it's a call that gets made at the RO level, by preference.

Although I rarely shoot outdoors I have one of the Shooters Connection gun covers which will be going to the nats with me. If things get dusty enough I need to bag the gun between stages I will use the cover on the line then move to the safety area then bag right after my run and get my butt back in gear to paste and reset the stage. If things get bad enough the gun cover isn't cutting it I have shower caps in my range bag from all of my travels. Extras shower caps will on sale in the safety area, prices yet to be set. :roflol:

Joe W.

Having a gun rag in my hand while RO'ing...not a safety issue. Again, not even a blip on the radar. Heck, I've run plenty of shooters with a timer in one hand and a clipboard/pen in the other...and still never needed to drop my cigar. ;)

Kyle,

You are indeed a man after my own heart, and you clearly have your priorities straight. Safety, timer, clipboard, cigar, check . . . RO ready!

:cheers:

That 5 second idea is wonderful if its a shoot in the box stage. Move 20 yards down range and that 5 seconds turns into sixty by the time you show clear, holster, then walk back to the bag and then unholster and bag it (of course under direction of the RO)...now you're at several hours in the course of 200 shooters.

I have enough to worry about while running the timer...holding a gun rug certainly isn't one of them.

Ok. If I may... what if I come to the line with a stuff sack in my pocket and at HDH I drop the gun in the soft, thin bag, like a small nylon stuff sack? I can't see how it would take more than a moment to dig it out of my pocket and drop her in. Then I can transfer it to the bag for transport.

The RO isn't carrying my bag, its not affecting my performance, and the gun gets bagged and out of the elements.

Thoughts?