Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other uses for the tumbler

Hi guys,

I just bought the small tumbler and media separator in anticipation of getting the whole 550 pkg. Still looking for a place to set up and I have two 5 gallon buckets of 9mm to clean. Any guess on how many that is?http://www.brianenos.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

In any event, I was wondering if there are any "off label" uses for this machine. It seems that it might also be useful for jewelry, small parts, small tools, etc.

Thanks for any input,

Jay

Hi guys,

I just bought the small tumbler and media separator in anticipation of getting the whole 550 pkg. Still looking for a place to set up and I have two 5 gallon buckets of 9mm to clean. Any guess on how many that is?http://www.brianenos.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

In any event, I was wondering if there are any "off label" uses for this machine. It seems that it might also be useful for jewelry, small parts, small tools, etc.

Thanks for any input,

Jay

I have heard a couple of guys at a match say that they have tumbled their mag tubes.

Edited by sslav

Works good for cats.

One time only :devil:

The only other thing I've ever used my tumbler for is moly coating bullets. That was actually done on a small scale in a peanut butter jar placed in the tumbler with the same media I used for my brass.

dj

Hi guys,

Thanks for any input,

Jay

I believe a 5 gallon bucket full to the top holds about 8-9k 9mm cases.

jj

mag tubes here as well.

As an aside, how long do you tumble your tubes? I tumbled mine for about 4 hours and didn't seem to phase them. But they're stainless so...

You can tumble them til the cows come home. I have done them for several 6 hour stints, mainly to remove sharp edges. I then buff them to a nice pretty shine.

mag tubes here as well.

As an aside, how long do you tumble your tubes? I tumbled mine for about 4 hours and didn't seem to phase them. But they're stainless so...

You can tumble them til the cows come home. I have done them for several 6 hour stints, mainly to remove sharp edges. I then buff them to a nice pretty shine.

What kind of media do you use? I use corncob for brass and just threw the mags in that. Would walnut be better? They didn't look any different at all after I got them out. Compared to a new set from brazos they look like they have almost a red hue to them even after 4+ hours in the tumbler.

Hi guys,

I just bought the small tumbler and media separator in anticipation of getting the whole 550 pkg. Still looking for a place to set up and I have two 5 gallon buckets of 9mm to clean. Any guess on how many that is? snip... Jay

Jay,

I am pretty sure that I measured about 14 oz. per 100 9x19 cases. That is from memory. Caveat Emptor...

Weight the full bucket, weigh the empty bucket, do the math...

Later,

Chuck

I've used mine to clean other little trinkets like a couple old silver rings that were tarnished "down in" where I couldn't get to it, a rusty die somebody gave me, powder measure inserts, etc.

I've used mine to clean other little trinkets like a couple old silver rings that were tarnished "down in" where I couldn't get to it, a rusty die somebody gave me, powder measure inserts, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Gotta love this forum. Must be 10,000 years of experience in everything gun here!

J

If you use a tumbler for moly coating your bullets you can NEVER use that tumbler for anything else again. The moly coating sinks down into the pores of the plastic bowl.

It does no good to tumble your tubes. I've tumbled a couple SV tubes for DAYS on end with no obvious changes.

Works great for cats though.

I once tumbled an entire Keltec overnight and it took the blueing right off. Looked stainless after that. And never saw one spot of rust on it for almost a year after that.

But then I spray-painted it "Krylon Blue" and sold it to Phraoh Bender for $200. :rolleyes:(no Merlin you can't have it)

mag tubes here as well.

What kind of media do you use? I use corncob for brass and just threw the mags in that. Would walnut be better? They didn't look any different at all after I got them out. Compared to a new set from brazos they look like they have almost a red hue to them even after 4+ hours in the tumbler.

When I first started tumbling, mine were only slightly better looking as well, but then I added polish to the CC media and now they look almost new. I tumble about 5 hours with CC media, Lymans Turbo Bright and the secret ingredient (used dryer sheets cut into small squares, 1 sheet per tumble). The dryer sheet thing was told to me by a buddy and they seem to pick up a lot of the bad stuff. Try this and see if you like it.

• 3 weeks later...
If you use a tumbler for moly coating your bullets you can NEVER use that tumbler for anything else again. The moly coating sinks down into the pores of the plastic bowl.

It does no good to tumble your tubes. I've tumbled a couple SV tubes for DAYS on end with no obvious changes.

Works great for cats though.

I once tumbled an entire Keltec overnight and it took the blueing right off. Looked stainless after that. And never saw one spot of rust on it for almost a year after that.

But then I spray-painted it "Krylon Blue" and sold it to Phraoh Bender for $200. :rolleyes:(no Merlin you can't have it)

You tumbled an entire Kel-Tec over night... They say KelTecs need a good Fluff-n-Buff... Never heard of tumbling one.

Hi guys,

Thanks for any input,

Jay

A three gallon bucket of 9mm is 7000 rounds. A 5 gallon bucket full should be appx. 11K rounds