Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is a split from the thread about what vehicle do we use to take to matches.

I've been thinking, which new vehicle would be the best all-around IPSC bus?

Needs to have room for 4 mansize adults and all our gear.

Needs to have reasonable ground clearance for some of the access roads we encounter.

Needs to be somewhat fuel efficient in case 4.00/gallon fuel comes back, and it will.

Not required but it should be somewhat sporty (no minivans!)

Shouldn't cost 50K

My short list includes the Ford Edge, the Ford Flex, Chevy Suburban/Tahoe, Ford Expedition, and perhaps a good used BMW X-5

What other vehicles can you guys think of??

Crew cab diesel. My preference is the Dodge, but any of the big ones will do. You'll get a real 18-20mpg on the road, its got LOTS of room, and LOTS of power.

post-12328-1235305611_thumb.jpg

I drove all over the country with this Ford. Most of it was with a 7k# trailer behind it. It was great til the trans exploded at 65k miles.

Edited by Seth

Amen, crew cab diesel with a camper shell, or even some of the bed liner lock boxes that go in the bed, Because of the economy they are way less than $50,000 now, I looked at a 2006 F250 XLT powerstroke with under 20,000 miles for 19,900 last month.

I too have been "eyeing" the new Ford Edge, Boz. But I'm not sure they have as much room as some of the other vehicles you mentioned. They look cool though. Come with lots of driver amenities, and hover somewhere around $30,000. I only need something that will haul 2-3 people and gear.

Go with the Expedition! I have a 2007 Expedition EL and it's an amazing vehicle. Get's 21 mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 70, has plenty of room for 4 adults and 3 rugged gear carts, 1 wagon, 1 large cooler, 4 shooting bags, 4 duffle bags with luggage and a bunch of guns... And the DVD player is great for the folks in the back. It's also got front AND rear seats that recline :)

Local matches? My Suburban or my wifes Jeep Liberty is fine. Longer trips but still one day, the Suburban and if there are enough of us init, the utility trailer with our gear.

Overnights? The "Bus" sleeps 5 in comfort, stay on the range or nearby, tow the jeep for local excursions. All the gear fits underneath. No Hotel rooms, no worry about taking the gear into and out of the overnight stop on long trips, either don't stop or pull in to a rest area, but we are right there with the gear. Compared to flying or driving, the bus is actually economical. (If you already own it and if you don't count the time off from work that flying might save you).

I drove it to Tulsa last year and even though I traveled alone, it was still cheaper than flying, renting a car and eating every meal out! same went for Ft. Benning. And that included paying for campgrounds on both trips.

I have an excell spreadsheet, VERY Simple, that will show you the costs of travel based on your MPG, Fuel cost, Airfare, Campground, hotel average cost, daily food allowance and so on. You can insert of leave out most variables such as ammo cost and match fees, but the rest really should be input or you get a div/0 error.

I can't seem to upload the file. If you pm me I'll see if it can be transferred.

Jim

Toyota Tundra 4-door

Toyota Highlander (can get electric and get about 38mpg)

Toyota 4-Runner

All are in the ball park of 22mpg with gas engines, can fit the gear, 4 wheel drive, and fit 4 adult males after the gear. The tacoma 4 door is tight with 4 males, but doable. The Highlander is built on a car frame and rides a lot smoother than the others. All of the rest are built on truck frames.

I like the Tahoe for what you describe, suspect I'd like the Suburban as well, but the Tahoe simply drives and parks smaller than it is....

After spending a day last week riding around with paramedics in an Expedition, I'd put that on the list as well. Considering that it more than 160K on the odometer, it drove really well......

Forget the Suburban/Pickup/Expedition stuff - not even in the competition.

Get one of the Ford Econoline Vans. The real full size van.

Great visibility.

Carries lots of people AND/OR lots of gear in comfort.

All gear is easy to access.

If you need more people room or gear space you can adjust by removing or adding seats.

Not required but it should be somewhat sporty (no minivans!)

My short list includes the Ford Edge, the Ford Flex, Chevy Suburban/Tahoe, Ford Expedition, and perhaps a good used BMW X-5

No minivans, but a full size domestic truck is considered 'sporty' :roflol:

You could also consider a Forester or Legacy wagon. Not the biggest on the inside, but they do it all very well.

The wife and I are looking for something too.

I was thinking something along the line of a conversion van. (well, a box van that I build into a conversion van. I used to do cabinet work, should be pretty cool)

Something built on a minivan would fit behind the house better and get better gas mileage.

Still not sure though.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

I have a GMC Yukon 3/4 ton 4x4 with Quadsteer (4 wheel steering). With the 4 wheel steer it has the turning radius of a Honda Civic so getting into and out of tight parking areas is not a problem nor is making U-turns when your lost trying to find the match. It comfortably took 4 of us and all of our gear to the Ironman a few years ago and we came back with all the 12 gauge the local Wallmart had. The only down side is 16mpg on the highway but is does have a 37 gallon tank so your bladder will be a reason to stop.

I also have GMC 4 door pick-up with the Duramax which is a also a good option. Its gets just under 20 on the highway. It easily hauled 4 of us and gear for 5 to the SSM3Gun and Area 1 last year with no complaints.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Three of the 4 shooters that rode to a match yesterday were in the 6 foot 2-3 range and all over 260lbs. We used 45DV8's 4-runner but it's a tight squeeze.

The fullsize van doesn't really qualify as "sporty"

I'm glad to hear the Expedition gets over 20mpg.

The mega door Dodge does have room, but I already have a F-250 deisel.

I drove a Ford Edge and I like the room and the way it drives but the exhaust noise it makes is irritating.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Three of the 4 shooters that rode to a match yesterday were in the 6 foot 2-3 range and all over 260lbs. We used 45DV8's 4-runner but it's a tight squeeze.

Not if you're the one driving (though I must admit I miss my Suburban).

:rolleyes:

I just bought a Flex to haul my growing family around. I got the AWD and get about 20mpg driving it some city some highway, but mostly by myself.

The second row is really roomy. The second set of doors is about the same size as the front doors. The third row folds flat. It would move 4 big guys and gear pretty comfortably. It is the smoothest, nicest riding car I've had, but I haven't really had a lot of nice cars...

I really wasn't interested in it at first. I went to the dealership to look at the Edge because I liked it, even though I thought it was a little smaller than I wanted. Once I sat in the Flex and drove it I really liked it, the look is growing on me.

It tows 4500 lbs. For around 30K you can get it pretty loaded up, just skip the NAV and the refrigerator/freezer (I am not kidding).

Power-wise it is just OK. Around 250-260 horse. Four 260 lb guys and a bunch of gear it may be a little sluggish, I don't know.

Edited by bofe954

Joe, if the F250 had a 6 liter diesel in it, it is overpriced, and probably having problems....hence selling it with such low miles.......I have not seen many people having good luck with the 6liter dieselt Fords, and that is why I bought a older 7.3 truck and have never looked back!

Now, if I could afford it i would buy an Expedition with a 7.3 liter for a match vehicle and never look back...... :cheers:

DougC