Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can .45 Auto Rim be loaded on a Dillon 1050

I'm trying to figure out how to load .45 Auto Rim (for shooting in S&W 625 revolvers) on a Dillon 1050... I can't find any listing for which shellplate to use and I'm almost afraid of the answer - is there a shellplate for the 1050 that will handle the Auto Rim case? If not, is there a Dillon machine that can handle the Auto Rim?

I'm trying to figure out how to load .45 Auto Rim (for shooting in S&W 625 revolvers) on a Dillon 1050... I can't find any listing for which shellplate to use and I'm almost afraid of the answer - is there a shellplate for the 1050 that will handle the Auto Rim case? If not, is there a Dillon machine that can handle the Auto Rim?

IIRC, I had a .45 AR shellplate for my first 550. I can't answer about the other models.

I dont know, and dont have the right ones, but if you have access to a .44 mag shellplate, try that with the .45 autorim case and different locator buttons....that might work........

DougC

Have you never seen an Autorim case?

Rim is waaaaay thicker than any other brass. It won't fit.

45bullets.jpg

The 3 on the right are Autorim.

Edited by wide45

I dont know, and dont have the right ones, but if you have access to a .44 mag shellplate, try that with the .45 autorim case and different locator buttons....that might work........

DougC

Have you never seen an Autorim case?

Rim is waaaaay thicker than any other brass. It won't fit.

45bullets.jpg

The 3 on the right are Autorim.

Most people have never even heard of the AR let alone seen one. I see all the time where people think it is just shortened .45 Colt and ask if they can fire the AR in a .45 Colt revo.

I have been loading for it for 20 years and whiel I tend to shoot more autoACP cases in my revos, I do like the AR cases for the heavy bullets like Wide45 does. I use those with some old Speer load book data and my 625 is a decent thumper.

Neal in AZ

Actually, we have seven 1050 shellplates in stock for the 45AR cartridge. Stock# 11557.

Some of our commercial users request non-standard shellplates, so when they do, we try to run

a few more, in case their needs increase or they break a plate. :cheers:

I understand that there is a lot of good advise set forth on this forum...what I can't understand is when a question comes up about __________ (fill in the blank) why people don't call the mfg? Most cos. have great tech support - especially Dillon!

FWIW

Richard

PS: I have to admit most cos. are a bit slow answering e-mails but...

• 11 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Ordered my shellplate "H", they said they only have 4 in stock today.  I have other reloading projects, but I am sick and tired of struggling with the Hornady LNL AP, so I may as well get that shell plate while the getting is good.  The guy on the phone said Yellow adapter, large plunger, and #4 locator buttons, which I see come in the 44 magnum conversion.

I like that the question was asked here. It's nice to know Dillon makes some non standard items and are willing to sell them to those who need it.  now I know.  We all don't think to call and ask because if it's not online we are all usually told if it's not listed as don't have it. When I had a 475 Wildey, Wil Moore told me to call Dillon and they would fix me up as they out together kits for Wildey to load the factory ammo on a 550 and 650. Sure enough they did   but it was all from parts they already made.   I wasn't aware they had some custom templates lurking around

On 8/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, Intel6 said:

I was able to do that on my 550, worked good.

Wow, I am hoping that works for me as well on the 1050, great to hear!

I am starting my load all my 40S&W brass first, but then changing to 45 and the large primer is my next project, so happy it should work with just a quick shellplate change.  I will report back once I do so...

• 2 weeks later...