Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi Point firearms?

Steve Moneypenny

My favorite hi-point line was a guy was in the gun shop and had some pos raven, jennings etc that was broke and couldnt be fixed. His quote, "I wish I would have saved up and bought a hi-point". Still get a good laugh to this day. Also had a guy drive in to the shop in about a 75k bmw and then buy a hi-point to protect himself

Overall, I was a lot more impressed with this gun than I thought I would be. For the price, and loaded with hardball, I have to say there are lot of guns out there you could be armed with that are less reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot than this one.

Of course, I know that if I ever wrote an article saying that I would lose all credibility with people who just "know" Hi-Points are utter pieces of crap. :roflol:

Even the blind hog find an acorn every now and then. :blink:

I had an interesting case involving a High Point in .45 ACP. One of our local oil field trash hit a co-worker upside the head with a High Point. The vic's head was apparently tougher than the High Point as it went skidding down the highway absent some of its parts. Wishing all my armed oppenents choose the High Point, from the Big Empty, ELN.

We had a man show up and shoot two of our club IPSC matches with a High Point 9mm. Since it was compensated (sort of) he shot open. I was suprised, through both matches (about 300 total rounds) the gun never malfunctioned. He was using CCI Blazer ammo. We thought that he may have used up at least half of the service life of his gun. I would definitely spend a little more for a better pistol, or if home protection was the only reason for purchasing, spend the same money for a used shotgun.

Hurley

Friends dont let friends run Hi-Points!!!!

:roflol: This has been a fun read.

Chris C.

+1 on the good read.

I think in summary here we must ask ourselves. Is a Hi-point pistol better than a sharp stick?

Of course the answer I think would be that the sharp stick is probably more reliable. :blink:

FWIW, I've got a copy of Hornady's most recent reloading manual, and they use a High Point for their 9x19 data. Go figure.

Steve - Try to talk your cheapa$$ buddy into a police trade-in revolver. He should be able to find one for about $200-$250. Tell him it's a Blues Brothers gun - it's got cop ammo and a cop holster. :)

My sentiments exactly. If I had only $160 to spend on a defensive weapon, I'd save up another $40 and get an ugly, holster-worn Model 10. The problem for some people is, if you don't know much about guns, there's definitely a fear of getting hosed on a beat-up looking cop gun, even though it probably runs great. Having said that, even a Taurus or Rossi revolver seems like a better choice for defensive purposes.

My one experience with a Hi-Point was with a random stranger who had a 9mm one at the range. After an incident near his home, his father-in-law had bought it for him and his wife to keep themselves safe. He had ammo that it ran with, and he and his wife could keep a magfull on a paper plate at 7 yards. They definitely had the right defensive mindset and at least a rudimentary skillset. He liked my Glock a lot better though!

Ok Flex, first hand experiences. We have taken hundreds of these things out of the hands of our local thugs. Several have been taken off of homicide VICTIMS (YA, right). If your going to spend your hard earned money buy a real pistol. My.02.

I helped a buddy sell a bunch of guns his father left him when he passed. One was a hi-point 9mm. My dad wanted to buy it for a beater gun. I told him for $100 you cant go wrong, plus it has a lifetime warranty. 6 months later he had returned it twice to the factory. Needless to say, he doesnt have it anymore.