Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've started to ignore the front sight

Pittbug

On very close targets I've noticed that I now focus on the target and see my slide in my peripheral vision. I'm not doing this consciously, but so far it seems to be working for me. I "think" that I can transition faster because my eye focus is already "out there". I guess I need to go re-read Brian's book which talks about the different types of sight focus.

I started doing this a while ago and thought I was doing something wrong. At first I didn't think I was suppose to do it until I started noticing that I was getting my hits on those close targets. First you learn to call your shots by knowing where your sights are on the target. Then you learn which targets you can "Know" where your going to hit the target by your visual referance to your pistol. Stick with it. I think you are on the right track.

I "think" that I can transition faster because my eye focus is already "out there".

That may well be the case for you right now.

When I am shooting well, my vision is right there with me.

Even on a quick and easy transition...from the body to the head of a target inside of 8-10y...my vision can go from the front sight, to the head of the target, then back to the front sight in the time it takes me to get the gun up there (that is in dry-fire...no recoil assist/hinderence). I know from live fire that I do that transition in 0.15 seconds for score.

Brian is always talking about learning to get your vision moving...keeping it moving. I think that is key distinction.

Something to explore...

Thanks for the responses. When I replay a portion of a stage I just shot last weekend in my mind, I also remember another thing. The targets were perhaps 4 or 5 feet away and perhaps a foot apart, slightly lower than my own body level. On the buzzer, I was looking at the A zone of the left target, drew and broke the first shot before I had fully extended my arms to my usual position. I saw the slide recoil, come back and broke the second shot, then transitioned to the target on the right. At this point my arms were now outstretched to their normal position, but my eyes were still focussed on the A zone.

I'm not at the level where I'm counting or worry about tenths of a second, that's not my intent behind this. I'm also aware that what I think or feel a certain method may be faster, is not always the case. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have the presence of mind to ask to RO to display the splits on the timer. I did do a reshoot, so I could have tried using the sights and see if there was any noticeable difference. I guess I need some range time to figure it out and experiment... explore.. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive been shooting lately on the pro-timer and noticed out to about 10yds and in. I can get away with it and for me its two-10ths faster then on my sights, especially for el-pres. but anything beyond that, or with head shots I cannot afford to do it. For tactically minded individuals (IDPA) where rarely is there anything to far out, I would try to see how target focus works out.

I got into this habit a little when I was being coached through a bunch of drills on 5 and 7yd shots. I found that while I am not to the point of seeing sights lift, I do get better hits(higher and more centralized "groups") when I am focusing on my front sight with the target in the periphery.

Lowly unclassified shooter,

Isaac

• 4 weeks later...
See what you need to see.

... to know where the shot went at the moment it fired.

be

Recently I shot an IDPA match with a new gun that I was not used to. I noticed that shots made, (when not paying attention to the sight) gave me a psychological uneasiness, because I did not know if the shot hit the 0 zone on the target. When reviewing the video my split times were very slow and there was a lot of hesitation in transitions. In matches since, still using the new gun, I have been focusing intently on the front sight and doing great.

One thing I learned from this was: I was so used to my old gun, I knew the NPOA very well and was doing a lot of shooting without paying attention to the sights. By switching weapons, I have had to break this habit, and am now shooting much better than before. I am both quicker and smoother, because I know if the sight was on target when the shot broke, the bullet hit. I don't have to second guess (i.e. hesitate).

Edited by kaiserb

• 1 month later...
Recently I shot an IDPA match with a new gun that I was not used to. I noticed that shots made, (when not paying attention to the sight) gave me a psychological uneasiness, because I did not know if the shot hit the 0 zone on the target. When reviewing the video my split times were very slow and there was a lot of hesitation in transitions. In matches since, still using the new gun, I have been focusing intently on the front sight and doing great.

One thing I learned from this was: I was so used to my old gun, I knew the NPOA very well and was doing a lot of shooting without paying attention to the sights. By switching weapons, I have had to break this habit, and am now shooting much better than before. I am both quicker and smoother, because I know if the sight was on target when the shot broke, the bullet hit. I don't have to second guess (i.e. hesitate).

Good stuff. Now you just have to figure out to stay friends with your front sight, no how friendly you get with your new gun. ;)

See what you need to see.

... to know where the shot went at the moment it fired.

be

That's what it all comes down to.

be

I do not use the sights for 95% of the shots in IDPA. For IPSC targets past 10 yds I use the sights. On good days I can point shoot effectively to 15 yds. The sights are there I am just focused on them. Might be why I have been stuck B class so long.

Mike

• 1 year later...

My entire gun is my sight picture on close targets. :lol:

*Is my gun there? In my hands in front of the target? Yes - shoot*

That's exactly how I shot the first four 18x24" steel rectangles in the Steel Challenge stage Smoke and Hope. Until I realized that I had to just see my gun on the target for each shot, I'd occasionally miss one.

be

I defensive shooting, it's called a "metal over meat" sight picture. If I'm running AND shooting the close stuff, I'm metal over meat. If I'm transitioning close in, stationary, I'm front-sight-focused. With an A-Zone as big as ours, the whole slide is still smaller than the target... Head-shots are different.

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard