Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Mag Pouches

Sarge

First let me say that if I am boring anybody, sorry. I am just trying to do the impossible and get this right the first time.

Who would think it could be so hard to choose a little piece of Kydex/plastic? Some of my thoughts are, Ability to tilt (rake)since I may eventually want to move on from production, stability on my CR speed belt, and durability.

M&P9 PRO CR Speed Belt Blade Tech DOH

The choices seem to be:

CR SPEED - I think they are expensive. I see too many posts talking about trimming, shimming and going to ACE hardware to make them right.

BLADE TECH - OK but kind of long in my opinion. I guess they are trying to make them work for IDPA as well. I have a blade tech double if I want to play in IDPA. No rake.

BLACKHAWK - Too long and look cheap. No rake.

READY TACTICAL - Very simple. Appear well made. Can pack them in tight on the belt.(but how tight will be too tight?). No rake.

COMPTAC- Again, very simple, well made. Looks like the tab will be ideal for spacing. (Am I wrong there?) No rake. (Looks like the jury is still out on the beltfeed.)

SAFARILAND - Seem well made but not sure. Maybe too much "one size fits all mentality". 773 (83) fits several different mags. Can get them from Brian for a good price.

I am stuck between Comptac, Ready Tactical, Safariland and maybe,maybe, CR Speed.

Thoughts once more please. I will order by the weekend so this horse will finally be put to rest for me.

Thanks

Kevin

Safariland 771's. Used them in 2001 for L-10 and continued up until 2 weeks ago at the WSSSC in SS. Durability? Yup.

ETA: I use CR pouches for open/limited and they are great but I have yet to see any reason to replace the 771s I use for the skinny mags.

Edited by ChuckS

i had some safariland 773's that were for double stack 9mm and for me they were too "fat". hard to get my finger indexed deep on the pouch without them being spread apart. went to cr speed and am able to index and they aren't too far behind me.

use 771's for L-10/single stack and like them a lot.

Edited by dr2e

I pack the Ready Tactical pouches on very close to each other and have no problem grabbing the correct mag. Its actually hard to grab anything other than the first one in line. I really like their self tension ability. It makes them impossible to bind up and no need for a rake to draw smoothly. They are very simple and effective in design. Also very lightweight on the belt. One thing I do not like about the CR Speed and Safariland pouches is the excess weight they add to the rig. I'm a KISS kinda guy and the Ready Tac pouches fit my bill perfectly. There have been a many of times when I drew mags from Comp-Tac pouches and they bind up and mess up the grab on that mag. I have yet to have that happen with the Ready Tac pouches.

I even prefer the Ready Tac pouches for Limited and LIM 10. If I'm not mistaken......they are also some of the cheapest on the market as well.

If your going to be using the same pouches for mulitple divisions I would use CR Speed. Eventually if you bounce around in divisions you'll probably end up with a couple belts setup for the different division say production and Limited.

Another vote for CR Speed. To make them work with the M&P, I used the large spacer (Tanfoglio & ?), but had to shim it with a large washer that is about .100" thick. IT sounds ghetto, but it works MUCH better than using any of the other shims they come with. The larger spacer gives you more surface area touching the mag, which will limit how much it can cant in the pouch and will make tension adjustments more consistent.

Some folks call them the jack of all trades, master of none - but I can't see how they can slow anybody down. I love mine and I'll stick with them. They already were the perfect solution when I went from an M&P to a Tanfoglio - I didn't have to buy new pouches, and I won't if I switch it up again...

I bought my 771's in 1997 when I got my first STI. Maybe not the perfect fit but I've used them with Glock, M&P and Tanfo mags. I prefer them over the 773's.

I've never owned CR's so can't comment.

Are the Safariland 771s legal for IDPA?

I don't think so. I think they are considered race euipment... :unsure:

I agree. BE's safariland store page even states nothing on this page is IDPA legal. I trust BE.

Don't forget about the Double alpha holders. I got them for my M&P9L and I love them. They are adjustable without any shims. There is a bolt with a roller that you move into another hole for the different size mags. These are also adjustable away from your body. They move left and right but also closer or farther away from your body. I have a comp-tac holster that is awesome and I use the comp-tac singles for IDPA.

Tom

You want pouches that will be usable between Production/SS rules and Lim/Open rules, then either CR speed or Safarilands.

You going to set up different belts for different divisions, go with what works best for that peticular division. Production, cant doesn't mean a thing, but how slick the inside of the kydex does. I like the bladetech pouches, but the ready tacticals are sweet too.

Ultimately, you can pull a sub 1 second reload with cheap ass Uncle Mikes pouches, molded or nylon... It really about the dry firing practice with the same gear consistantly.

The 771's are just fine for IDPA. They meet all the requirements that I read in the rule book. It's the location that matters most any-hoo. I was using 771's for both SS and CDP until I found a double mag pouch from Comptac on ebay for $5.

I like the open front on them. You can literally RIP the mag out.