Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load for my 625

colbyjack

Hmmm. I use 4.1gr Clays, 230gr Berrys, 1.265", Fed Primers with my 4" 625. If I recall (don't have numbers from my chrono runs) and I think I was just over major. I shoot it in IDPA so I didn't do the "tilt the muzzle up" before shooting it though- not sure if that makes a huge difference in a 45.

I may bump it up to 4.2gr for the Indoor Nats... not sure. I don't seem to recall much difference with Clays and N320 with a Berry 230gr. Did anyone else notice anything? I shot this load indoors last week and didn't notice much flash at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run 3.8 Clays with lead 230 and 4.2 Clays with Zero 230.

That's funny. Every barrel is different.

My 5" 625 needs 4.0 of Clays using a 230 LRN @1.240 to make major. Then it's only a 168 PF.

At A6 a few years back, I used all 8 bullets to get a 165.6

It is surprising how much variation there is from gun to gun. I'm sure crimp and some other things have a minor impact as well. I'll test this again and also 4.2gr and see where I end up.

I do know I have two G34s that are different. The one that I used a LOT was over 25 slower if I recall. I guess barrels can vary.....

My 5" 625 needs 4.0 of Clays using a 230 LRN @1.240 to make major. Then it's only a 168 PF.

It sure is funny. I get 170-175pf from those loads. My gun is only three years old. Have you guys noticed a change in power factor as your round count increases?

It sure is funny. I get 170-175pf from those loads. My gun is only three years old. Have you guys noticed a change in power factor as your round count increases?

none significant (if at all) decrease of PF at my guns in the tens of thousands rounds

3,5 BA10 or 4,2 N310, 225LRNBB (saeco molds)1,145 OAL

more funny differences are betveen chrony :rolleyes:

Edited by 4mike

Seating depth will effect velocity.

I have gotten 177 PF with only 3.7 grains of Clays using a home cast LEE 228 bullet. Its a strange 1 radius round nose that I was having a hard time to feed in a 1911. I kept pushing them deeper in the cases. Somewhere between bulged and too long is a sweet spot.

The EDM rifling has worked well for me with slightly oversize bullets.

Talking with Olhasso at the Memphis Charity Challenge and he said he was using 3.1 (yes, three point one) Clays under Bayou Bullets 230s. Loaded short, like 1.20", minimum cylinder gap and tight, Douglas 6 inch barel but still makes Major.

That thing had almost no muzzle blast BTW.

Talking with Olhasso at the Memphis Charity Challenge and he said he was using 3.1 (yes, three point one) Clays under Bayou Bullets 230s. Loaded short, like 1.20", minimum cylinder gap and tight, Douglas 6 inch barel but still makes Major.

Only 3.1 of Clays and still make major? That's a little hard to imagine. Is he using cut-down or GAP brass, by any chance?

And did they actually chrono everybody's ammo at the Memphis match? ;)

Edited by Carmoney

Only 3.1 of Clays and still make major? That's a little hard to imagine. Is he using cut-down or GAP brass, by any chance?

No they did not chrono at the MCC?

Yeah, I don't care what kind of 230gr bullets he as using- there's no way that load would make major. Maybe he was messing with you.

He was using Federal .45 ACP brass. Maybe it's the green coating on Donnie's bullets that makes em go faster?

Yep, 3.8gr for me too.... 230gr LRN@1.22= 172PF

• 5 months later...