Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Burris Mount

warpspeed

Well I decided to not cancel and I finally received my Burris P.E.P.R. mount on Friday. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to get my XTR mounted in it and start shooting. Anyone else receive their's?

I got mine. Some good, some not-so-good.

It seems to be a very strong, solid mount. It's very good on a tactical rifle to mount over a BUIS.

Mine is a 30 mm. I mounted a Millet DMR (NOT my favorite scope) and it works on a Bushy 16" I have. It sets the scope substantially higher than an Armalite mount does. I prefer the Armalite, because they set the center of the scope at the standard Iron sight level, so getting a good cheek weld is easy. The Burris is higher. It clears my BUIS with room to spare. The Armalite 1" with a Weaver 1-3x just barely clears the BUIS. However, the Armalite with this scope would not begin to fit over the Troy flip up. The occular housing is just too large to clear it.

It's also a bit on the heavy side. Which is also one reason it's tough. But it's weight, combined with the weight of a 30mm scope brings my little carbine to near 10 lb. (at least that is what my bathroom scales show), which is a bit heavier than I want in a carbone. OTOH, this combination seems to work pretty well. I didn't like the Millett, but now I'm warming up to it in this mount. Especially since I just put an R&R Racing power ring throw lever on it! ;)

Got mine from Burris last week. Havent had a chance to try it out yet. Seems good to go at first glance......

ABN-RGR admitted to me earlier he was sold on it based on the name alone "PEPER" cause it makes him feel "sassy"

Got mine from Burris last week. Havent had a chance to try it out yet. Seems good to go at first glance......

ABN-RGR admitted to me earlier he was sold on it based on the name alone "PEPER" cause it makes him feel "sassy"

For the economy minded multi-gunner with a 1x4 you can't beat it.

Ordered mine from SWFA in mid-February and I'm still waiting. I've got a Millett DMS-1 just waiting to be mounted. Oh well...I guess this Saturday's 3-gun match will be shot with my POS Bushnell again...

• 2 months later...

The mount is actually pretty damn good for $70. It took over 3mos as well for me to get mine in but after two months of shooting, its working out great. The thing is build like a tank. The only issue I have so far is the weight. At 8.7oz, its 1/2 pound by itself. Something to be aware of if you are shooting a heavy barrel gun to begin with and trying to control weight.

post-17688-1248389085_thumb.jpg

Edited by jn-boston

I ordered and recieved one of these, used it to mount a Burris Euro Diamond with the .556 reticle on my 16 in. With the mt all the way fwd on the rail and the scope mounted with the turrets 1/2 in behind the front ring it puts the scope up and fwd where I want it. When you get the nuts tight and those 12 screws pulled down this thing is rock solid, I think it would take a hammer to move it. Zeroed in without issues, I didnt remove and reinstall it to see if it would return to zero but I bet it would be close. Its a bit bigger and heavyer than the pics look but lighter than the riser and rings I was useing. Good mt. for the money, as good or better than some that cost a lot more.----------------Larry

I ordered and recieved one of these, used it to mount a Burris Euro Diamond with the .556 reticle on my 16 in. With the mt all the way fwd on the rail and the scope mounted with the turrets 1/2 in behind the front ring it puts the scope up and fwd where I want it. When you get the nuts tight and those 12 screws pulled down this thing is rock solid, I think it would take a hammer to move it. Zeroed in without issues, I didnt remove and reinstall it to see if it would return to zero but I bet it would be close. Its a bit bigger and heavyer than the pics look but lighter than the riser and rings I was useing. Good mt. for the money, as good or better than some that cost a lot more.----------------Larry

Good choice of scopes Larry. :cheers:

I have the same mount sitting in the safe along with my Burris just waiting on my rifle to be finished.

• 3 months later...

Interesting to hear that. I'm building a "budget" flattop AR from scratch - good but not expensive stuff. Since I am mostly going to be shooting at 100+ yds for now, I have no need for a close up lens like a 1-4 so I found a nice Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x 40mm. Now comes the problem of the mount.

First off, I know a lot of people in this forum will say buy a LaRue. Well, as nice as that is, it's a budget buster and I really don't need a quick detach system anyway, so that ain't gonna happen this year.

The American Defense looks good and is about 20% less, but I'd still be paying for a quick detach that I don't need and would still be stretching the budget.

The JP looks very good and, while the price is stretching the budget, I can cut back on something else if need be.

Then I ran across the Burris PERP. I've read some good reviews and it's only $80 and it's not like I'm building a 1000yd rifle with a $1200 scope. Looks like a good deal to me and gives me a bit extra back into the budget.

Has anyone tried this with a scope that's longer than a 1-4 ? The Leupold 3.5-10 is 12.6" long as compared to a typical 9" or 10" 1-4

I just don't care for the Burris mount. It's heavier than is needed, and it mounts the scope too high for me. For $20 more you can get the Armalite, which mounts the scope low enough to get a good cheek weld.

And then there is the SWFA SS tactical mount. It's nearly identical to the Burris, but it seems a little slimmer and lighter, and it's even less expensive. I just checked their site, though, and couldn't get a link to the one piece mount, so they may be backordered.

Will this work with a Millet DMS1, or is it too "short"/not enough forward?

I have this exact mount, with a Millett DMS 1-4X24.

The eye relief is perfect. The mount is very well made.

I attached the mount, then dropped on my new Millett, onto my DPMS flat-top upper. The scope was off by 1/2" at 50 yards from the factory center!!

The mount DOES "lean" a bit when mounted up. The mini-rails on top are not dead-level with the upper rails. I tried to level the crosshairs off the top of the rings, and it was tilted. I leveled the crosshairs off the upper's rail, and they looked right.

I got the Millett and the mount for $265 from SWFA.

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx

Jeff

For $20 more you can get the Armalite, which mounts the scope low enough to get a good cheek weld.

I just checked their web site and they are selling for $69. Might be worth it.

Wow! They use to be $89. At this price I may pick up a couple more!

Seen a few comments about the weight of this mount so far. If one were so inclined, had access to a drill press, and a bit of skill, I see a fair chunk of weight that could be removed from that mount. Since it's under $100, there wouldn't be any hangups about experimenting.

Just thinking out loud.

I really haven't ever thought the Burris mount is heavy. Maybe a total combination of a rifle and all it's parts could be heavy but I don't really see the mount as being the heavy piece that does not allow me to move the rifle.

We customize and lighten everything else up, why not the mount? I got a burris mount in my hands and I'm waiting for a piece of glass to put it on a gun. But if someone thinks it's heavy, why not spruce it up a little? There is a little extra material on it. I say fire up the milling machine and have a ball. Personally the only thing I wish were different is the top part of the rings. I don't care for the rails. No biggy I'm going to look for rings without rails and swap them out. Maybe Burris will offer this as an option soon.

I just weighed my Burris mount this morning. It's only 1.6 oz. heavier than an Armalite, so I suppose it's not as overly heavy as I thought. I had it on a tac rifle with a Millett DMS for a while, but didn't like the combination. The DMS is rather heavy, and the slightly heavier mount just was a bit too much on that gun. Today I put the Burris mount on a very lightweight carbine I have and slapped a Weaver 1-3 in it (with adapters, since the Weaver is a 1" tube). I think I like the combination and may be warming up to the Burris.

My major complaint about the Burris mount is that it is too high. It works well on a gun that has the front sight tower, though, like my lightweight. Puts the reticle above the front sight. For competition I want a better cheek weld than I can get with the Burris.