Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's up with the ARGold trigger?

noxcuse73

Follow-up...I just got back from the range. This trigger is a winner!

like HSMITH said...it is like a nice 1911 trigger. It is very cool having the same trigger feel on my pistol as my rifle.

The reset is short and crisp...I was able to feel like I could really ride the trigger until ready to release the shot - not sure that makes sense

Great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered mine November 09. Received it last week. Installed it yesterday. Took it to the range today.

1.) Yes the finish is as bad as everybody else here has said. (They should really change the pictures on their website if they don't intend on making that way, it's pretty deceptive.

2.) The trigger is very narrow, and has some rough edges (Again not like the nicely finished and radiused trigger pictured on their website.)..>

3.) Trigger was a breeze to install in my DPMS lower.

4.) Trigger was not compatible with my DPMS high ride upper - Nothing an end mill could clear up (Had to clearance the upper a bit

5.) First pull of the trigger and all I could say was WOW - Sweet. (coming from a stock trigger)

Shot about 200 rounds at the range and had 4 occurrences where The trigger wouldn't reset - Moving the fire selector from FIRE to SAFE to FIRE again seemed to reset it. I don't know what's going on but it really put a damper on my enthusiasm for this trigger especially with the amount of money spent on the unit, There's not enough of these out there to see if anyone else has seen this.

I just hope there customer service is faster than their delivery!!

I got the Mystery Mountain match next month - think I'd be better off throwing the stock unit back in until after the match.

Still patiently waiting on mine. If I can't get it in the next week or so to have time with it in our local 3-gun and a little more time before the Larue match, I'll just leave the Jewell in till after the Larue match. The reset issue seems strange, but probable. The one that Jerry Miculek had in his gun that I felt seemed a little soft on the reset, but any sub 2lb trigger on a 1911 is also. This does still concern me a bit. Is the reset weight adjustable? Maybe it's not enough sear engagement/overlap to reset correctly? Is this also adjustable? I'm already assuming the overtravel is adjustable. Wish more people had theirs for more input on these things. Talked to a pretty "dry" sounding guy at pact 2 weeks ago and he said that parts were at heat treating and were supposed to be back any time and that it would be 2-3 more weeks which would be some time next week or so. From the sound of it, this is just wishful thinking/hoping. We'll see. Any more input from anybody else with hands on experience with one?

JV :wacko:

Edited by noxcuse73

Good news guys. Talked to the "dry" guy at PACT today and he said it would still be a couple of weeks. But he did say that the gold plating issue was from a plater that they were using that didn't deliver what they promised so they got a new plater which was part of the delay. He did tell me that he just got a batch of triggers in yesterday from the new plater and that they look "goooooood" he says. Supposedly all the new triggers being shipped will have better looking plating. He did say the first ones looked like "gold camo". He told me that now that the plating and heat treating delays were fixed they could hopefully get caught back up. I guess we'll see. (Fingers crossed)

JV

Good news guys. Talked to the "dry" guy at PACT today and he said it would still be a couple of weeks. But he did say that the gold plating issue was from a plater that they were using that didn't deliver what they promised so they got a new plater which was part of the delay. He did tell me that he just got a batch of triggers in yesterday from the new plater and that they look "goooooood" he says. Supposedly all the new triggers being shipped will have better looking plating. He did say the first ones looked like "gold camo". He told me that now that the plating and heat treating delays were fixed they could hopefully get caught back up. I guess we'll see. (Fingers crossed)

JV

I wonder if they are willing to do something about us that got the gold camo look? Although to tell the truth, I'm starting to kinda like the camo look myself. It's starting to grow on me and to be honest it's just a tool to get a job done. BUT, the less than smooth edges and finish work on it were disappointing at this price level I have to admit.

Didn't know anything about rough edges. Where is the roughness? on the trigger shoe? If so it also may be tied to the plater's prep work before plating. Hopefully mine will be here next week, but as I said before "we'll see". (fingers crossed)

JV

Well talked to PACT today. He said they were doing final assembly on a batch of them and testing them and they were going to start shipping some by Friday, but mine wouldn't be shipped til probably the end of next week. Well crap, guess I'll be shooting the Jewell for the Larue Multi-gun, but it's probably for the best. I learned years ago not to change something big on or about your equipment just before a big match, because of the lack of time to proof it. Hope this is a glimmer of hope for others that have had them on order for longer then I have.

JV

Hello folks,

Interesting thread/trigger. I just might need one of these.

My question would be how do I know if it will work in my rifle?

I have a post ban ArmaLite, serial # 45xxx, model M15A4.

Trigger pin seems to be about .150".

Anything else I should check? Sear block??

Thanks for your help.

Just an outside observation....

Why deal with all the BS surrounding this "new" Super trigger when JP has a well established system that most agree is as good as it gets?

Seems to me the makers of the ARGold put more into the hype and initial advertising then they did working through the design and keeping tabs on outside vendors (bad plating, etc)

my .02..........

My AR Gold trigger is WAY better for me than my JP trigger. My JP is a really nice single stage 3# trigger, don't get me wrong, it is exactly what it was advertised to be but it doesn't even compare in shootability to the AR Gold.

My AR Gold trigger is WAY better for me than my JP trigger. My JP is a really nice single stage 3# trigger, don't get me wrong, it is exactly what it was advertised to be but it doesn't even compare in shootability to the AR Gold.

shhhhhhhh..... :ph34r:

I shoot mostly pistols and I look for that "slack" in the trigger before you pull through to break the shot. I AD'd on my friends rifle with the JP trigger :P

That's why I'm really interested in the AR Gold trigger because you guys say its like a really nice 1911 trigger, which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for :D Just can't decide on if I should get the AR Gold or the Geissele....

Interesting thread/trigger. I just might need one of these.

Anything else I should check? Sear block??

The Armalite will be a small pin reciever. Only Colt's have a sear block.

The sear block is easy to remove. It doesn't affect the functionality of the rifle. It was added back in the day when Colt was trying to be PC.

Well I got mine in Tuesday. It's pretty awesome. I dummied it up in a reciever to check it out and it seems fantastic. I called Pact and talked to a guy about the adjustment parameters because there is a total lack of literature explaining anything about how it works and he told me that it had some more adjustment but he recommended to shoot it as is first. Well I can't leave anything alone so I tightened up the overtravel a bit with enough in it to be reliable, lightened the plunger (pull weight spring behind the sear/interceptor/ or whatever they call it), and shortened the surface engagement a bit. It breaks at 2.00lb exactly with almost zero perceptible reset. Has anyone else adjusted there's? He did tell me to make sure I loctite the screws when I get it final adjusted and shoot it to make sure it's going to work reliably. I'm going to wait until after the Larue match to permanently install it because I don't feel 100% confident in it until I've had a chance to run a few hundred rounds through it and run it hard in a match environment. Learned a long time ago not to change something major on your equipment just before a big match, it never turns out good. The gold on the trigger is smooth and looks like a Tin coating. The guy at Pact said that Ionbond was applying it for them. It's eating me up wanting to go ahead and install it, but I just can't because I know better. I guess I waited a couple of months already so a couple more weeks won't hurt.

JV

Ps. He also told me the green anodize on Jerry's was a joke for the prototype by the plater and the big hunk cut out of the back was to make it work in his .308

How would these triggers compare to the Geissele? :) They're the same price, and from reading the forums, both are good triggers. Anybody with experience with both triggers care to comment? Thanks so much!

With 10 rounds fired with my AR Gold trigger (replacing a JP) I can now comment without being much help: they are the same but different. My Geissele is a true two stage with some resistance in the take up (first stage) then just a little added pressure releases the hammer. The AR Gold is more pistol-ish with free movement through a shorter take up, then the full pull weight breaks the shot. Pretty much "1911 like" as stated.

The Geissele feels slightly more crisp but I find it is sometimes hard to judge that last little bit of pressure and I'll fire as I'm settling in to press it through, before I'm really ready. 10 shots at an indoor range isn't a definitive test but I think I'll like the AR Gold better for the long precision shots because it is easier to judge the transition from no pressure to full pressure. The Geissele is great for the hoser stuff where I pull through without pausing, basically using it as a super crisp single stage trigger.

So I'd say rifle people will like the Geissele and pistol people will like the AR Gold, with the standard disclaimer that it comes down to personal preference and you should try both if you can. Overall I think I like the AR Gold a little better, but would take either one over the JP, as I'm just not a single stage guy.

Ordered mine in December, got it in March. The finish on it is flawless, I guess they fixed the plating issues. It was very easy to install. Dropped it in with a very crisp 3# pull. The first stage is extremely light. The reset is also short, but to me, I like a more positive feel when the trigger resets. Maybe I can adjust it. I will fire the gun for the first time tomorrow. So far, It seems very nice.

Follow up:

Got back from the range. Worked perfectly, although I didn't feel it gave me a real big advantage over my RRA NM trigger. All the shots were 20 Y or less. I think it would be a definite advantage for me at longer ranges when I want the trigger to break predictably, which is what the AR Gold does well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well took the rig out yesterday and put the new trigger through it's paces. I noticed within a day or so of getting mine they showed up in Brownells. Rather coincidental. Well it's different from the longer reset and finger travel of my Jewell, but it's awesome. I pulled mine out of the pack and immediately messed with it. It breaks at 2lb. exactly every time after readjusting the factory settings with NO perceptible creep. The reset is so ridiculously short, it will take a little more getting used to but with a little practice yesterday it had brass streaming out like a water hose. I think it is going to help me with the longer precise shots. I had a little trouble at Larue with my Jewell staging the trigger for the longer shots without pulling through the second stage and found myself just pulling through the trigger instead of staging it which hurt my long-range accuracy. I think this is where the ARgold will shine. Closeup hosing seem to be about just as fast and accurate but didn't put the timer on it. It ran perfectly yesterday through 300 rounds without a single failure of any kind, so after the beating I pulled it out today and degreased and loctited it as recommended so it don't conveniently doesn't come unadjusted at the wrong time in a match and reinstalled it for good. It's easy to adjust and seems to be extremely consistent and reliable so far even after adjusting it lighter and crisper than the factory presets. I would definitely recommend it.

JV