Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size front sight for a 6" STI?

Resjudicata

I searched to see if I could find this but didn't come up with specifics.

What size, width and height, front sight are you guys running on your 6" guns? What brand/model?

I have been running a .090" front sight width on my 5" gun because I like a narrower front sight.

Chris

I ran a .110 on my 6" after finding the .090 sight seemed to be swimming around in the rear notch. That extra 1" of sight radius does make a difference. YRMV

Others seem to like as thin as they can go, but my accuracy suffered on 20 yards or longer.....

Actually I think I put a shaved down .110 on one of my guns and it works great for the ranges we usually shoot at. The FO can be a little too bright when you have a new one in and the sun is really beaming down....but it sure is easy to pick up and align quickly...

I am moving away from the really thin ones.

My JPL 6" (Avatar) has a .100 wide .180 high Brazos Microdot.

This is what I have coming. I started to get worried that I might need a taller front sight for the 6" or wider than .100".

I wanted to try and have a similar sight picture to my 5" with a .090" front sight.

Chris

I have a .185 height on my 6" STI and I find I need a bit taller front sight to get a tad more adjustment. My sight is cranked all the way down to give me POA to POI at 18 yards. It may be my load, me, the gun, or a combination...I don't know. I just know I just ordered a new sight from Brownells to make the adjustment (.200). I like the narrow sights, too. I use the .100.

My 5" Dawson came with a .185 also.

Buddy

hey hey.....just because you guys call my fat free a carbine doesn't mean it doesn't need any sights. LOL. Where were you at Yesterday?

I injured my back and wasn't up to it. It also made my mind up about the Fl Open. Oh well, I'll try to get ready for A6.

I started out with a .090 x .180 on my 6 inch. I too found that the front sight was swimming around. I was using a .110 on my 5 but wanted to try a .090. I didn't like it at all. My hits were terrible. I switched to a .110 and immediately improved my hits, scores and results. Still use the .180 height. and Bomar clone rear. The rear is one and a half turns from bottomed out.

I shot it from a rest last weekend to see what I could print with it at 25y. The FO was really distracting. I wouldn't shoot USPSA without it but if I was to shoot bullseye or something like that I would install a black insert.