Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you are currently using a shok buff

RangerTrace

Another vote for CP shok buffs. I have run them in all of my guns for years without a single problem. It would be interesting to know if the problems people are reporting are limited to a particular types of buffs (ex. soft vs. hard).

I only had mine in for a few trips....it was a wilson (which I understand is not a fantastic design)....it did show some "wear", but I didn't have it in long enough...or didn't have any problems....

would you mind maybe telling me how often you replace yours? what kind (color/durometer)?

have you ever had one cause any kind of malfunction or "short-stroke" the slide?

thanks.....I am curious to maybe try one again....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Wilson's for several years in several different 5" 1911s. I have not had an issue with them yet. In my match pistol, I change the shok buff every year when I clean it (I average firing 6k rounds per year). So far, so good.

Hurley

• 2 weeks later...

I use a hard nylon one plus a brass washer between it and the spring ... the gun feel good, the SB have a very long life with the brass on it, I like it, never a problem ... I accurately clean up my gun at every use

standard/limited gun with lightened slide, bull barrel, full guide rod and reverse plug ... 12,5# spring for major loads with 180 grain bullets

Edited by lucasb67

I keep one in my singlestack .45 and I recall this year putting alot of rounds through it before cleaning and when I did take it apart for cleaning, the buff was in a number of pieces when it came out. The gun was still working, and I still had no malfunctions. I am not going to say I will stop using them, but I will pay more attention to them for wear when I do use them.

• 1 month later...

I always used Buffs in my Limited Guns. I could tell a noticiably softer "hit" when the slide hit the buff instead of the frame.

But since they do remove 0.1" of the slide's stroke, they can cause feeding and ejection malfunctions - in some guns.

For me, if putting in a Buff caused malfunctions, that told me some tuning work was in order. I tuned all my Limited guns so they'd run 100% with 2 Buffs. And I even had one gun that was 100% with 3! That was a soft shooter.

be

• 2 weeks later...

I have used them on and off in single stacks for over 20 years. I've never had a problem, never had one "come apart" either. I know how to maintain my guns :)

There was one in used open gun I recently purchased, so I left it alone. The gun runs great

I used the blonde-looking Ed Brown buffs for many years & didn't have any problems with them. When they showed a groove or measured wider than the guide rod I tossed them but it took 1000s of rounds for that to happen. Wilson were okay but more fragile and more "bouncy".

As many local matches as I've been to, I don't remember that many times a buff went bad on a club shooter. Maybe a dozen? What I remember are the GM-shooter/well-known-gunsmiths [2 of them] whose guns took a dump at a major match, due to their fancy buff.

Seems like most shredded buffs I've seen were some bright-red or neon-blue-looking thing. Or a home-made sheet-rubber cutout.

Someone on here pointed me to Dawson aluminum buffs & I like them by FAR the best. Turn them around once in while, file them flat when both sides are a little dinged, measure the OD [always good] and just keep using them. A pack of 3 should last you forever.

Recoil is very predictable to the point where I started to shoot faster at long range, knowing I could call the rare 2nd-shot boo-boo.

after reading this thread, i did a range test with my STI Eagle and SVI Limited guns. ran with and without shockbuff and didn't have any noticeable recoil differences. therefore, they are staying out of my guns as any extra parts that can degrade are a bad thing.