Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex holsters

olp73

kydex is pretty rough on a gun's finish..after about 4-6 months of a good dryfire routine and matches it will begin to take the polycoat off on the leading edges where there is contact.

Edited by eerw

It's said that chicks dig scars.

Did you buy it to race it or show it? Don't race your show car and dont sweat the fenders on your race car.

-rvb

+1

Guns need character. Make it look like you actually use it.

Kydex wears faster but "stops" at a certain point when all the highspots have worn off. It's easier to keep clean and prevent further wear once you get to that point.

Leather will be slower to wear but it will continue to wear away at the finish for the life of the holster. Plus, even with regular cleaning, sand, hard grit or other abrasive material may get embedded in the leather and that will acelerate the wear. Depending on your environment, suede lined leather may even be worse as it traps more sand and dirt on its surface.

Regardless of what you select, if you are intending to use it as a competion gun, it will wear. Wear on a gun like that means you are using it to get better. If it really bugs you, you can get the gun refinished after you have the gun set up exactly the way you want it, with one of the harder coatings like hard chrome or ion bond.

Alternatively, shoot USPSA Limited/Limited 10 with your SP01 using a race holster that just covers the trigger guard (and deal with shooting minor with a 9mm/or lower mag capacity shooting .40 in limited).

****Quick edit****

Just saw that you are posting from Norway -- assume you will be shooting by IPSC rules where you can use a race holster in Production Division -- so you can ignore the USPSA reference

Edited by Wideload

Kydex wears faster but "stops" at a certain point when all the highspots have worn off.

Do you measure that in years or decades? I haven't found an end to it after a nearly a year. Kydex scatches and polishes hard chrome, good Tripp Research hard chrome.

If visible wear is an issue, get your gun IonBonded and be done with it!

Someone please post a picture of your IonBond slide after months of diligent dry fire practice out of a Kydex belt holster. Then and only then will I believe the IonBond hype. I want to believe. Truly I do. I'd love to have my slide redone in something akin to kryptonite.

Someone please post a picture of your IonBond slide after months of diligent dry fire practice out of a Kydex belt holster. Then and only then will I believe the IonBond hype. I want to believe. Truly I do. I'd love to have my slide redone in something akin to kryptonite.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...6597&st=250 Start at post #269, the Edge was mine. I've sold it and taken to tupperware, but when I sold it, the finish looked like I picked it up the day before...had it done in Greensboro, NC by Ryan. During that period, I was religous about my dry fire, minimum three times a week, using Steve Anderson's book and doing a minimum of 12 of the various drills. I wish I could find that kind of dedication and time these days! :P

Edited by CDRODA396

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...6597&st=250 Start at post #269, the Edge was mine. I've sold it and taken to tupperware, but when I sold it, the finish looked like I picked it up the day before...had it done in Greensboro, NC by Ryan. During that period, I was religous about my dry fire, minimum three times a week, using Steve Anderson's book and doing a minimum of 12 of the various drills. I wish I could find that kind of dedication and time these days! :P

Thanks that's pretty convincing out of a full coverage holster. Can they IonBond over chrome or will the chrome have to be removed first?

I have both kydex and premium leather for different platforms.... the finish on my P229 using a Kramer wore off very easily. My P225 in/out of a CompTac also wore quickly and then seemed to not get any worse. I have a XD in/out of a ComTac for two hard seasons of match and range play and it looks fantastic with only the slightest muzzle wear and no wear on the sides of the slide. I have a HK USP/kydex combo that has worn very little in one season of steady use ...... keeping a holster clean regardless of material type will prolong finish wear greatly. SIG's finish is very whimpy .... XD's wear very well ... It's all good character building traits ...... Harold H.

If you have a hard chrome finish or a Glock you needn't worry.

Unfortunately, even Tenifer will show holster wear. At least all my Glocks do, and I use Kydex.

When I shot Limited I had a bead blasted hard chrome job. It eventually showed wear at the contact points with my race rig (granted not much, but it was there).

I'd think that ANY finish will wear with the use it will get in action shooting, especially under the conditions we shoot (hot, dusty, dirty, gritty, etc.).

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately, even Tenifer will show holster wear. At least all my Glocks do, and I use Kydex.

The Tenifer doesn't wear off, it's the black oxide finish on top of the Tenifer that wears off. Tenifer is a process that hardens steel and is pretty much fused to the metal. Pretty darn close to diamond hard from what I've read. At any rate, I don't really care what my competition guns look like as long as they run.