Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quitting smoking

Anubis

I'm trying to quit smoking so I've given my wife my cigarettes and she doles them out as she sees fit.

So I ask her for a cigarette and she says no, but my 2 yr old daughter UNDERMINES her and takes my

smokes from her and gives me one :) :)

Hello. My name is Jim and I am an addict. I have not "used" nicotine in 3-1/2 years in any form because I choose not to. My addiction has remained stong. It is part of my personality, a trait. But with each day that I have not used I have gotten stronger. I hope you stop using too.

Quit in 1992. It's really tough thing to do. I found that it was easier to quit altogather than to wean myself off of nicotine.

Try the Carrot and Stick method.

Carrot-- Go buy something that you really want - i.e., a new gun, box of tuned S_I mags or something of high value that will severely dent your fun $$$ budget.

Stick -- Hand it over to your wife with a condition that you can only have it after you have stopped smoking for a specified duration. If you have a single cigarette during the agreed on time, she reserves the right to either make that purchase her own or sell it to get what she wants.

Whatever you do, hope you succeed.

Quit in 1992. It's really tough thing to do. I found that it was easier to quit altogather than to wean myself off of nicotine.

Try the Carrot and Stick method.

Carrot-- Go buy something that you really want - i.e., a new gun, box of tuned S_I mags or something of high value that will severely dent your fun $$$ budget.

Stick -- Hand it over to your wife with a condition that you can only have it after you have stopped smoking for a specified duration. If you have a single cigarette during the agreed on time, she reserves the right to either make that purchase her own or sell it to get what she wants.

Whatever you do, hope you succeed.

Or --- Stick: The clock resets to zero, if you smoke; the wait time starts over......

I quit in 1985 after smoking for over 17 years. I was up to nearly 2 packs a day and would frequently light a cig and find that there was one still burning in the ashtray.

Without going into details, let me just say that while it was not easy, it was not as hard as I expected. I essentially stubborned myself into quitting. I didn't tell anyone I was quitting, not even myself. I just made up my mind to put off having another cigarette for as long as possible, and every time I decided I wanted one, to put it off just a little longer. When I did smoke, it was just a couple puffs then put it out - but kept what was left for the next time - that got pretty nasty pretty quick and hastened the end.

The best advice I can give is to make sure that this is something YOU want to do for your own selfish reasons. Not because you should or for someone else. If you don't do this for yourself, it will be just that much harder.

Hi-from some who has been there and BACK-I quit smoking in 1985-10 months later I found out I had THROAT CANCER on my VOCAL CORDS-went thru the normal--DAMMM why me had two operations on cords-32 radation treatments 2 more(( by-opsy--dont know about spelling)) ALL CLEAR even now go to dr.every year still clear --it was not easy 1 1/2 pk a day just wanted to stop--SO YOU WANT TO STOP THEN JUST DO IT STOP PLAYING AROUND,,, GOOD LUCK --YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What do you smoke ? Marlboro's or Camel's I asume. Cutting down is not going to

do it, trust me. I can have two, since I already had one, etc..etc..

Cold Turkey !! If you have to ween then this is what you do, throw out all you smokes and

buy something nasty, Benson Hedges, Dorals, or even Pall Mall unfiltered. Then everytime

you just have to have one you can smoke this horrific crap and soon you'll be sick to your

stomach of it, literaly !! :cheers: Goodluck !!

Just quit!

I watched my parents smoke while I was growing up. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 15. When I quit twenty-four years later, I was up to a pack-pack and a half a day. I have not had one since April of last year. Just know it is killing you. Would you eat a teaspoon of rat poison every day? Of course not, why, because it will kill you.

Some days it is easy, on stressful days it is very hard. There are days when I can taste it. Just know it will be hard, but it is worth it. If you quit, you will be stronger for it. If you don’t you will likely die from it.

It sure is nice not having to clear my throat all of the time because of the crap in my lungs form smoking. Not to mention that if you quit, your family will have a new found respect for your strength. There is not a single time that I get in the car or sit at the computer without wanting a cigarette. I want one now just talking about it.

I will always be a smoker. I just don’t smoke anymore. You will always be a smoker, but you can choose not to smoke anymore. Please leave your little girl out of it.

Hi, my name is Chad and I am an addict. I gave up nicotine (smokeless tobacco) 202 days ago. I think about it everyday, but I will never quit quitting.

You just need to tell yourself that today is your first day as an ex-smoker. If you can get through the first 72 hours, it's all in your head from there on out. It feels awesome to quit. You can do it. :cheers:

It is extremely tough. I smoked like a switch engine for 19 years and have been smoke and nicotine free for 32 years. I had tried several times previously but failed. The longest was for six months but got involved in a stressful situation, bummed one off a friend, and bought a pack within the hour and was off and puffing again.

I went to bed one night and had trouble dropping off to sleep and after a while I heard this light wheezing sound of someone breathing. It wasn't the wife so I thought one of the kids was coming down with a cold. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, it was me wheezing just breathing normally. Our doctor had been warning me for sometime. Scared the hell out of me and I never smoked another one from that day to now. It was the toughest thing I have ever done. I was a US Army paratrooper, and full time law enforcement for 44 years eight months and I would choose any one of the two gunfights over smoking another cig.

That next day I would get the urge so bad that I would convince myself to hold out five more minutes and if I just can't stand it I'll smoke one. I would keep checking my watch and when the first five minutes was up I remember thinking well I did five minutes so I'll do five more minutes. I lived five minutes at the time for about two months. I then noticed I could do ten minutes. Once I was able to stop watching the watch closely I could go weeks and not think about smoking and out of the blue it would hit like a ton of bricks but would pass in a minute or more.

You can't quit forever at first. You have to set goals you can attain. All day would not have done it for me. You have to be able to make the first goal no matter how stupidly easy it sounds but it will build your confidence.

I'm trying to quit smoking so I've given my wife my cigarettes and she doles them out as she sees fit.

So I ask her for a cigarette and she says no, but my 2 yr old daughter UNDERMINES her and takes my

SO WITH ALL THIS HOW ARE YOU DOING NOW --UPDATE PLEASE :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

Needless to say with other things happening I totally forgot about this thread :mellow:

My goal of quitting hasn't gone as well as I planned but at least I'm down to

about half of what I was smoking a month ago :)

THis is a tough topic.

For some, quitting their tobacco habit was the toughest thing they've ever done. I dipped for 14 years or so, was at a point when if I wasn't sleeping or eating I had a dip in. Decided that was way below me so I quit. I loaded up on sunflowers and hard candies, and just quit. I didn't even believe in the gum and or the patch, I wanted to end my relationship with nicotine.

One thing that drove the decision was about a month or two before I quit my wife and I were leaving on a trip and I plopped a dip in (of course). But my can was low, and as we were driving down the highway I all the sudden realized I didn't bring another can from the fridge. It drove me crazy!!! What was I going to do if I ran out? How long to a convenience store? How long would this quarter can last me??? I could barely relax until a pee break came and a new can was in my pocket.

That's no way to live. I go everywhere I want without that can anymore - and it never bothers me a damn bit. I'm glad to be rid of it.

For me, I couldn't "quit" chewing though. Quitting is a process. I couldn't afford that. One day I chewed. The next day I didn't. If you will it to happen, it will!

This journey was not nearly, and I mean not even close, to being as difficult as I thought it would be. I just made a decision and stuck with it. Simple as that.

Make that call. I won't even wish you luck. Make that decision, stick with it. Your life will be better as a result!

Jack

I smoked for 15 years, 2 packs of camel filters a day. I quit 5 years ago. I'd postponed smoking several times, but this time I went to the lake for a week and took 1 pack of camels. I didn't tell anyone I was quitting, but when I ran out on Tuesday, I didn't go get any more.

Sunflower seeds were my crutch during this time. I ate a bag a day for 2 months.

I just had to do it. There was no cutting down, no weaning off, I just had to put myself in the right position and quit. No more.

I hope you can do the same.

Sean

Thats cute. :wub:

I am really seeing that I need to quit also! I was out of breath today- especially on stage 3! :(

I quit 10 years ago this month. I looked at it money wise. 2 packs a day at 4.00 = 8.00/day x 30 days = 240.00/ month or a new limited gun in a year. Took me one week and I was done with them for ever. Have a goal and stick to it. Oh and by the way I smoked for 26 years. SO IT CAN BE DONE