Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our National Anthem

tpcdvc

Just watched one of the american idols sing our national anthem. I really hate it when they use it as a platform to demonstrate their tasteless vocal gymnastics. I mean it is like they decided to see how many licks they can throw in between and during phrases. The melody is actually beautiful as it was written. And moreover, such idiocy detracts from lyrics which certainly in this particular case is the most important part of the song. SING IT WITH HUMILITY AND REVERENCE!!!!!! IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tpcdvc

+1

I don't mind if a singer makes very slight adjustments for their own voice or a tiny bit of flair added, but I like it best when sung as intended.

Honestly, I think the singers with truly powerful voices don't have to embellish it at all and those with somewhat weaker voices have to make changes. R,

It is difficult to sing our national anthem properly. Perhaps some people compensate for their inability to do so with improvisation. I can carry a tune pretty well, but I would not want to sing the anthem in front of people all by my lonesome.

Just watched one of the american idols sing our national anthem. I really hate it when they use it as a platform to demonstrate their tasteless vocal gymnastics. I mean it is like they decided to see how many licks they can throw in between and during phrases. The melody is actually beautiful as it was written. And moreover, such idiocy detracts from lyrics which certainly in this particular case is the most important part of the song. SING IT WITH HUMILITY AND REVERENCE!!!!!! IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said. I concur.

Martina McBride just sang it pretty much note for note at the Pitt/Bal game.

Yeah, she nailed it. But of course, she nails whatever she chooses to sing.

:wub:

I wish she would sing me. :wub:

Ooops...did I say that out loud... :devil:

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you guyz would've LOVED the National Anthem I witnessed last night: We had our 18th Annual Lane County Sheriff's Office Awards Event last night and it's always opened with some manner of live vocalist 'doing' the National Anthem. So we witnessed a quartet of male voices singing it a capella with heart-rendering harmonies appropriate to the occasion. You would've LOVED it. B)

Oh, and I got my 5-year service pin, too (actually it's been 6 years).

post-1852-1233533896_thumb.jpg