Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drazy Metal Works Steel 500

Anyone else see that crazy rabbit on the steel stage? We are banging away with open guns and out of the grass comes this little rabbit. He comes out and starts feeding right in the frag zone. We yell at him and he just kept feeding. The next shooter was run and the damn rabbit still didn't move... We go up and paint and the little guy is still there. I walk over to get him to move out so he doesn't get fragged and he let me walk right up to him. I finally stomped my foot and and yelled thinking he would haul ass, but he just sauntered over to the tree line. Crazy frigg'n rabbit... I think his lead levels might be a little high. :o

Edited by JThompson

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else see that crazy rabbit on the steel stage? We are banging away with open guns and out of the grass comes this little rabbit. He comes out and starts feeding right in the frag zone. We yell at him and he just kept feeding. The next shooter was run and the damn rabbit still didn't move... We go up and paint and the little guy is still there. I walk over to get him to move out so he doesn't get fragged and he let me walk right up to him. I finally stomped my foot and and yelled thinking he would haul ass, but he just sauntered over to the tree line. Crazy frigg'n rabbit... I think his lead levels might be a little high. :o

I didn't see him/her wearing any hearing protection,

I think it must have been deaf or should have been

after the rounds put down range.

I learned something from this match:

Falling Steel = Major PF Load (No matter what others tell you)

I had 130 PF loads which required multiple shots (or well placed shots near the top) to knock some of the plates over. Those dang "head shots" were especially hard to knock over with the powder puff loads.

I heard a rumor that Tony had something to do with this. :devil:

Even though I totally blew chunks, I was happy to offer my squad a little entertainment on the Barricades stage by doing a "spray and pray" by the center barricade followed by a little "Hokie Pokie" dance (you know - put your right foot in, put your right foot out....) between the right and center boxes.

Thanks for a great match Tom/Ray/Tony, et al!

[edited for typos]

I wanted to move them out another 10 yards or so..... :devil:

I had 130 PF loads which required multiple shots (or well placed shots near the top) to knock some of the plates over. Those dang "head shots" were especially hard to knock over with the powder puff loads.

Even though I totally blew chunks, I was happy to offer my squad a little entertainment on the Barricades stage by doing a "spray and pray" by the center barricade followed by a little "Hokie Pokie" dance (you know - put your right foot in, put your right foot out....) between the right and center boxes.

[edited for typos]

You had your moments and then your not so moments.

Are you going to entertain in Indiana as well???

It was a very unique match that I hope turns into a classic.

I think with a little tweaking it will.

Thanks to all the guys for putting in on;

Ray, Tom, Tony, Deb, Stats, and everyone else.

We looked forward to Deb and the little guy on the

4-wheeler, esp. when they had water :~)

Jeff

It was a very unique match that I hope turns into a classic.

I think with a little tweaking it will.

Thanks to all the guys for putting in on;

Ray, Tom, Tony, Deb, Stats, and everyone else.

We looked forward to Deb and the little guy on the

4-wheeler, esp. when they had water :~)

Jeff

Did Tony tell you that you won a gun, or is he keeping that a secret? Also, what do you list as your home town? I'm doing a short article for the Friday edition of The Shooting Wire about the match. If you or Matt want to send me fantastic quotes, I'll try to work them in.

Scott

Are you going to entertain in Indiana as well???

Hopefully not in the same way as I did at the Drazy! :)

Congrats on your Open win Jeff!!

I would like to see it at Indiana! :devil:

Congrats Jeff.

BK

Great match, I really had fun. Just wondering how many thousands of pounds of steel targets were used? Just one of my useless thoughts to ponder. Thanks again for all the hard setup work. Ed Bowling

I am not sure about the total weight, but I brought down over 6000lbs! :blink:

[edited for typos]

Yea, me too. I came with 130 pf loads and had a lot of solid hits that didn't knock the steel down and I ended up eating several 5 second penalties. I hope they have the steel calibrated better next year, but if not, I'll be ready with some major loads for the knock down steel. I will still shoot minor for the steel challenge stages though.

I shoot 130 gr BBI bullets over N320 powder at 135 pf. I didn't have any steel that didn't go over with the first hit. You do have to hit the poppers in the calibration zone if you want them to go over reliably. Heavier bullets do help put more energy on the target.

The head shot targets blew over like I hit them with a 16 lb sledge. Put a little more powder in the ammo if you want steel to fall. YMMV of course.

This guy?

Matt & I saw him near the dark house. And yeah, he wasn't scared of us at all. We watched him for a bit then decided to shoot him(with the camera of course!)

post-11739-1243995447_thumb.jpg

Congrats to the winners, Pete, Matt, Jeff, and Dean. Pete won the overall by 24.68 over Jeff, who is a very good steel shooter!

Thanks to everyone who shot the match. I hope everyone had a good time! I want to thank Matt for cleaning up the spreadsheet for me. The overall results are attached, and will be up on the PASA web site soon.

We will be doing this again next year. When we finalise a date, I will post a date and link on the forum.

I want to thank Ray, Deb, Tony and (David) for their work setting up, Duane and Ken, for helping me pick up my steel so I could leave. We learnd a lot, and I hope that next year will be even better!

Steel_500_aggregate.xls.pdf

I shoot 130 gr BBI bullets over N320 powder at 135 pf. I didn't have any steel that didn't go over with the first hit. You do have to hit the poppers in the calibration zone if you want them to go over reliably. Heavier bullets do help put more energy on the target.

The head shot targets blew over like I hit them with a 16 lb sledge. Put a little more powder in the ammo if you want steel to fall. YMMV of course.

I had one not go down with a solid hit in the calibration zone with a 160pf 115. It was the same popper Nancy H had a problem with. I had dropped the mag to show clear and noticed it. I made a one handed shot on it with the chambered round... got a chuckle from the gallery. :)

This guy?

Matt & I saw him near the dark house. And yeah, he wasn't scared of us at all. We watched him for a bit then decided to shoot him(with the camera of course!)

That looks like the little critter... :)

I had one not go down with a solid hit in the calibration zone with a 160pf 115. It was the same popper Nancy H had a problem with. I had dropped the mag to show clear and noticed it. I made a one handed shot on it with the chambered round... got a chuckle from the gallery. :)

I'm running about the same load as Tony, with the same bullets and powder, around a 132-134 power factor. Did not have any good hits not go down. Had a popper I shot twice below the calibration zone not go down, but can't blame my ammo for that.

This guy?

That looks like the little critter... :)

We had as many as two rabbits at once on the last steel stage in the bottom range, under the targets. Had to stop shooters twice to get them out of the way. Of course, we weren't so worried when Pete was shooting, as we knew all his rounds were going to hit the target :rolleyes:

my point being that if you didn't paint between each shooter how could you tell where your bullets hit, in the "bulb" of the popper or not? :unsure:

We painted, usually after a few shooters. As it happens on my run the steel was painted before. It wasn't a big issue as I was already well down and that one popper made little difference in the scheme of things. The only reason I posted about it was because someone else did and Tony said he didn't have any. With that much steel you are going to have a few issues... as I said, no deal breakers just some hiccups.

We did paint all the SC stages after every shooter, just not the IPSC style ones.

JT

Edited by JThompson

my point being that if you didn't paint between each shooter how could you tell where your bullets hit, in the "bulb" of the popper or not? :unsure:

We painted after each shooter so it was easy to tell exactly where you hit.

Tony, I had enough powder in my bullets to make a 130 pf. I had at least 4 hits in the calibration zone on targets that did not go over. It is no big deal, and I really enjoyed the match, just next time I'll be ready with heavier loads.