Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow and Older...

Mikej

I am 52 and not as spry (see, that is an old person word) as I used to be. Add to that the fact that I plan to shoot a 625 and I am starting to wonder if I will slow down the process too much at a match. I think with some time that I could do OK, but I am worried about the first matches. I do not want to be a problem to the established shooters. Is this a real concern or should I just go shoot and have fun?

I am 52 and not as spry (see, that is an old person word) as I used to be. Add to that the fact that I plan to shoot a 625 and I am starting to wonder if I will slow down the process too much at a match. I think with some time that I could do OK, but I am worried about the first matches. I do not want to be a problem to the established shooters. Is this a real concern or should I just go shoot and have fun?

Shoot and have fun. I don't limp very fast either. Everyone has always been quite accomodating.

I have RO'd a gentlemen with an oxygen tank on his back. Not to worry, shoot and have fun.

Mike,

Go for it! As far as slowing down the other guys; if most of the people are running a particular stage in, say, 20 seconds and you take TWICE as long, not a single person will complain. After all, you've only slowed them down a mere 20 seconds and if you did that for 6 stages it's still ONLY 2 minutes for the day.

I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much help and encouragement you'll receive.

Ed

Yeah, call us!!

What the hell am I saying! I'm 60 and turtle slow. I've been known to take a short nap in the middle of a stage. RO's clear my gun and take it . Shooters after me just jump over or go around. My squad mates wake me up when the stage is torn down and put away at the end of the day.

Don't worry about being slow. Go shoot and enjoy yourself. You will probably find that most folks will offer you good advice regarding the stages.

CYa,

Pat

It's a common misconception that you have to be young and already a super fast shooter to come out and play. We promise that you will be welcomed. EVERYONE was new and slow once. Shooting safe is all that matters when you are new. Take all the time you need, really!

Besides, the biggest thing that slows up a match is not the shooting but is reseting and pasting a stage after each shooter. So do your part to help paste between shooters and you'll actually be contributing to making things run fast!

Since you'll be new to it, let the guy running the timer know you're new. He'll be able to make sure you're comfortable with what is going on before the buzzer. It can be a lot to take in until you get it figured out.

-rvb

If you are consistent and conscientous in helping Tape and Set Steel, maybe even learn to run the Timer and Clipboard, and NOBODY will complain of your shooting. No matter what it is!

And if they do you can bet they're standing in the Peanut Gallery and not Helping anyway. So most won't care much what they say.

Welcome! :cheers:

Hey Mike, you're still younger than several of the top revolver shooters, including the one true grandmaster of the revo, Jerry Miculek! If you're a little slower on your feet than you used to be, start looking for efficiencies in movement and ways to increase smoothness--they mean more than raw blistering speed anyway.

Funny thing--everybody thinks that revolver shooters are "slower" on a stage--but every time we have a revover squad get together at a major match, we wind up waiting around for the squad of bottomfeeders in front of us to finish. Why? For starters, we have a whole bag of loaded moonclips along, enough to get through the day, and so we're not dinking around constantly with hi-cap mags and all that crap, and the stage gets re-set faster for the next shooter. Second, we tend not to spend 30-45 seconds per stage going through some elaborate ritualistic rehearsal, like some of those Limited and Open prima donnas insist upon doing. We simply load, holster, and take the starting position--that's it.

You might get a little teasing from the guys at the local matches at first. That will go away when you start beating them on a stage here and there--then the teasing turns into respect. This past year I shot one of our local USPSA matches and managed to win the whole match outright, even beating those using Limited and Open guns, with my good ol' 625. That was a good day..... :)

we had a gentleman in his mid 80s. He walked very slowly, carrying his oxygen generator. We never had him pick brass, set steel or patch targets. He was too frail. He was also one of our most popular shooters. We all want to be shooting in our 80s and he was an inspiration!

I am old enough to remember when Ken Tapp, at 55 Y.O., was one of the fastest in the world at the Steel Challenge.

I have forgotten his name but back in the 1980s there was a USPSA Area director who had, I think, polio and walked with 2 of those fore arm crutches. At one Canadian IPSC Nationals they had a simulated barb wire fence. The 'wire' was string. Rather than take the time penalty for going around, He threw the crutches through the fence and crawled through, retrieved the crutches and continued the course of fire. Everyone cheered!!

About your speed worry not. Much to learn we all have. Fun to shoot pistols are. Fun you will have. (Yoda mode off)

I am old enough to shoot Senior division in USPSA and ICORE. I am disabled with a broken back. In the spring I think I will have recovered enough to start shooting again. I will not be fast.

Fun I will have.

Edited by SharonAnne9x23

I sure hope not Mike! I am 54 and just getting started in revo matches. I plan to have fun and enjoy myself as well as do my share of the chores.

Dave

I will be 58 in April. Still shooting and not real fast. I have a good time, don't get much crap but I will still RO a squad, tape, brass, set steel, and do what I need to do to keep the squad moving. If the day ever comes I am not having a good time, I will figure out what I am doing wrong and fix it to keep shooting.

It isn't how fast you go, it is all in the good time you have. Enjoy it.

My guess is you are about the average age for USPSA shooting, several of us have at least a decade on you.

SharonAnne, was that fellow's name John? I met an"old" guy at Rio in 1996 who made it clear that he was still having fun and that his fun lasted longer than the young guys. :lol:

Hey - I'm 71. I'm timed with a calendar. Had a great time at nationals. It just means I get to enjoy my shooting longer than the others. No one ever complains about age, speed ability as long as you are SAFE friendly and helpful. Come and join us.

Richard

I've been known to tell people that the reason I shoot Revolver division is so that I can spend twice as much time on the CoF as the bottom-feeders. And I always have a sun-dial available in my bag, in case the timer malfunctions.

More time at the range...that is a very good thing. :rolleyes:

Come out, have fun and welcome to the REVOlution!

I have forgotten his name but back in the 1980s there was a USPSA Area director who had, I think, polio and walked with 2 of those fore arm crutches. At one Canadian IPSC Nationals they had a simulated barb wire fence. The 'wire' was string. Rather than take the time penalty for going around, He threw the crutches through the fence and crawled through, retrieved the crutches and continued the course of fire. Everyone cheered!!

Sharon,

Was that Marc Halcon(sp)?

Edited by Alan Meek