Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our dishwasher is da-done for. Anyone recommend one of the Stainless Steel type? We had a Bosch 5 years ago and the seals leaked but have heard some good things lately.

Your input is appreciated.

I won't recommend any brand as I don't know enough. But I will say that a front load washer with a stainless steel interior is significantly better. Uses less water, less detergent, is gentler on garments while things just come out cleaner and without the soap residue that is nearly endemic with top loaders.

I have had 2 Bosch's and will not buy another, The last 1 I purchased was a new generation whirlpool and it has outperformed the Bosch on every level. It was less expensive also. All the newer dishwashers with the stainless tubs are great machines.

I won't recommend any brand as I don't know enough. But I will say that a front load washer with a stainless steel interior is significantly better. Uses less water, less detergent, is gentler on garments while things just come out cleaner and without the soap residue that is nearly endemic with top loaders.

Garments?

Fisher & Paykel is what I'm getting next. Our BOSCH served us for a very long time though.

Fisher Paykel makes dishwashers? Oh yes now I see them except they are dish drawers, kinda small. We have the FP for clothes.

Edited by Putty

You wash garments in your dishwasher????

Consumer Reports gives this as their highest rated and also a Best Buy:

Kenmore (Sears) 1374[2] $650

CR's Take

Overall, this is an excellent dishwasher that provides excellent wash performance and very good energy efficiency. This dishwasher is a CR Best Buy.

Highs

This model offers excellent wash performance and very good energy efficiency and is quiet. It uses less water than most.

Lows

This model has no discernible lows.

Fisher & Paykel is what I'm getting next. Our BOSCH served us for a very long time though.

That is the one my wife wants. The Dishdrawer I think it is called.

Based on brand reliability from Consumer Reports...not worth touching. Major dog.

Fisher & Paykel has been the most repair-prone brand [25%], while Maytag and Asko have also been repair prone[15%].

Installed some cool Kenmore units in a new house a few years ago. (built the kitchen, didn't want the plumber scratching the custom cabinets I had just installed) they were really cool drawer types that were each half size units. That way you never had to bend down low to load them and could do half loads very efficiently. They were stainless fronts. Don't know the model number but when I redo my kitchen, I will get this type.

From personal experience:

A Miele dishwasher is ultra quiet and seems to work well. Big $$

I personally have a GE Profile Stainless dishwasher. Works well, not as quiet as the Miele, but half the price. Get them at the local H.D. (I even installed it myself)

Edited by Chris