Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rescomp mag

Rocket35

Has anyone else experienced this? Looking for suggestions other than sending it off to get "tuned".

Most likely, fine sand or file the inside of the base of the grip and the mag will drop free.

It's not a real big concern as I have 5 other mags that will be used primarily and this mag is for the 23 round stage that I don't need to reload. But just would like to find out what's going on. I may have to look into the grip as I think some of the STI mags are on the "sticky" side as well.

In the Jerry "The Burner" Barnhart videos, he talks about tuning the equipment. One thing he does is check for squareness of mag and to see if they drag in the gun at all. IIRC, he paints the mags bodies up with drykem blue and then inserts them to see if they have any drag marks. He also stones the outside of the mag bodies to smooth them up.

Oh...and he showed doing that with 1911 mags. ;)

I'd remove the slide to help see what is going on. And, I'd also take the mag release out and remove it from the equation.

My two RHT mags work in my STI frames, even the new gray one I put on my open gun so I suspect it might be the grip like others have said.

I have a 140mm 9/38 SV mag that will not drop free in any of my frames so in that case it is the mag. In the case of that one I know it is the front to back dimension of the mag. When I put the other mags in the grips they will have some side to side and front to back slack. With this particular mag there is no front to back slack so it seems that is the problem.

Neal in AZ

It's not a real big concern as I have 5 other mags that will be used primarily and this mag is for the 23 round stage that I don't need to reload. But just would like to find out what's going on. I may have to look into the grip as I think some of the STI mags are on the "sticky" side as well.

That one stage is when Murphy's law will go into effect. The stage will be a loss already, but some pain is better than lots of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone else experienced this? Looking for suggestions other than sending it off to get "tuned".

Funny. I just got two Rescomp-mags for my STI (cal. 40, IPSC - 130 mm), and they drop like no other magazine I've ever had. I can hold my grip horizontal, and the mag still shoots out.

On the other hand, they hold two rounds less than advertised (should hold 18, holds 16), and the follower hooks up with the magazine catch notch upon loading the 5th round. Annoying...

my rescomp mags drop free as well and hold a very tight 22 rounds...but last Sunday i shot a local match and the lips opened up too much and caused the follower and some part of the spring to pop out , when i came home i set it back to its old feed lip dimensions :angry2: ....thank God i have more of Howard's Mags

There is a significant difference in the temper of the steel used in an STI Mag vs an SPS Mag, but I don't know about Rescomp Mags as I have none.

The STI Mags are quite a bit tougher and tighter in the body so they don't seem to get deformed as easily and all have fallen free in my STI.

The SPS is quite a bit softer and bends/deforms easliy. It wouldn't drop free and a bit of judicious clamping with a vise fixed it.

It was actually to long, front to back, so I clamped it at about the Mag Release Slot.

The SPS was also easier to get 21 into and has worked fine.

My guess is Rescomp may be closer to the SPS.

I have 1 year old STI and just got two rescomp tubes I have the same issue, All my STI tubes fall out the Rescomps stick a little, I wasnt that worried as I'll only use it for non reload stages anyway.

• 1 month later...

Actually yes I did! Use it.... :lol: It is working and dropping free now. It is also easier to load into the gun now too when topped off to 22 rounds. I guess it just needed a little bit of a breaking in period....

Actually yes I did! Use it.... :lol: It is working and dropping free now. It is also easier to load into the gun now too when topped off to 22 rounds. I guess it just needed a little bit of a breaking in period....

LMAO, good one Jay!!!

They had to make room for the extra round somehow, I figure if I need the mag to drop free the stage is probably allready FUBAR'ed. If the stage required a reload I would be using STI mags.