Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a New AR Trigger

usp45ss

I'm in the process of building up a dedicated 3 gun rifle. Now I'm at the point of picking a trigger to go with. I understand JP is very popular with the 3 gun crowd. Is there any benefit to going with the modular unit over the traditional style? I guess what I'm asking is what will the $279 modular unit do that the traditional style won't do? Will the traditional style be a little harder to set up initially? Anything else?

Also, anybody out there using the Gold trigger system? I see that Miculek is now using it.

The JP trigger is a good design and has a lot of adjustability to it. If you are fairly mechanically inclined, it's not hard to install. If you're not, like me, the modular allows you to get a trigger by mail and drop it in without messing with it. If you have to pay a gunsmith to install a JP trigger or ship it somewhere, the extra cost for the modular is a wash.

As far as the Gold I saw one at the Ft. Benning 3 Gun. Looked OK. There was a sharp edge on the trigger that was supposed to be fixed in later production models. It's a completely different trigger mechanism. It's kind of cool that they can change it that completely.

I've got several Jard adj. triggers and I like them a lot. I do have a C.M. modular straight trigger and it is simple and OK but not as light as my Jards. For the price, the Jard is hard to beat.

EG

Years ago somebody brought out a Gold Trigger system for Perazzi shotguns. Everybody was hyping the trigger as something unbelievable. I don't think it is made any longer.

The Chip McCormick and Timney modular triggers feel good and both have worked out the bugs from the original run. I am going to try one of the two on my next build.

I won one of the American Trigger Corp AR Gold triggers at Multigun Nats this year and it has been in my comp. rifle since then. It is the best drop in and trigger I have used to date. It is also full adjustable and totally reliable down to 1.25#. I like it alot. All except for the price tag of $279. I would not have paid that for it but now that I have one and used it for 2000 rounds I would. Very well made and reliable unit. Feels like a well tuned 1911 trigger. Very slight pretravel with a nice crisp creep free break and no overtravel with a super short reset.

I dropped the extra for a timney 3lb single stage, and couldn't be happier.

I also did it for the 15min of day it cost me to install.

Time is worth the money for me, as I don't have a lot of extra.

It feels good.

Feels like a well tuned 1911 trigger. Very slight pretravel with a nice crisp creep free break and no overtravel with a super short reset.

This is good to know. Do the other triggers feel like this, 1911-like? That price is a bit steep - but I figure none are going to be cheap...but ouch.

I have a RR 2stage but it doesn't feel like I expected it to feel being a "2 Stage". It is very light and clean but more like...light, light, light bang. Rather than the slight pre-travel then crisp bang.

I like my 1911, so why wouldn't I like it in a rifle?

I have a Jard in one rifle, a JP in another, and I got to play with the Gold trigger a little at FB. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with any of them as long as they are properly installed and working as they are supposed to. My Jard is lighter, but the JP is crisper, but you can only tell if you are comparing them side by side. If you shot one today, and the other a couple days later, you would probably have difficulty telling them apart. One thing I think is great, is how things are going modular to make them more "idiot proof". I installed my Jard, but I did it two or three times before I put the loctite to it. I wanted to make sure I had it down pat. Sure would have been nice to just drop her in, put the pins in and be done with it.

I got a new CM this summer to use on my M4 style rifle that I've been shooting in 3 gun. It was free to me (Safety bucks from work) and a HUGE improvement over stock, but very creepy. My stock Kimber trigger is better. I would spend a few extra $$$ to get a better one.

Edited by TLD

Accuracy Speaks is installing their single stage in mine. Based on local recommendations only. Rifle is still weeks away from completion so I have no first hand experience with it. Supposed to be nice.

Jim

I thought the Gold trigger was very nice, but at over 2X the cost of a J.P. I just can't justify the cost when in the end they both end up feeling the same. I have thousands and thousands of rounds on the J.P. triggers and have never had any problems so I guess I will stick with J.P. after all they really support 3-gun!!! Kurt Miller

Accuracy Speaks is installing their single stage in mine. Based on local recommendations only. Rifle is still weeks away from completion so I have no first hand experience with it. Supposed to be nice.

Jim

I have a couple Accuracy Speaks triggers that are some of the best I've ever used. Jake did them when he was there. They were light enough I wasn't allowed to tell Derek what he set them at.

So which of these provide that 1911 feel?

I don't think any of them will duplicate the feel of a 1911. 2 stage triggers will have a longer "takeup" and a single stage will have no real takeup. Any takeup you'd feel on a single stage is creep. Trust your finger, not your mind :)

Seeing as how the AR pivots on a pin about 3/4" above your finger and the 1911 is horizontal travel.

duh...I suppose you are right on there...wasn't really thinking about that.

I don't think any of them will duplicate the feel of a 1911. 2 stage triggers will have a longer "takeup" and a single stage will have no real takeup. Any takeup you'd feel on a single stage is creep. Trust your finger, not your mind :)

Thanks Dan. I guess that is what I was really asking. My 2 stage is like you describe- long takeup (it has a fairly short reset however). I just looked at JPE's page and they are back ordered for now on their site. I like the idea of the drop in trigger as opposed to doing it myself. The only real tool I have to do it myself is a dremel...and you know where that will get you. :mellow:

Have JP's (non-modular) in several rifles never had a problem with them. I tried a Jard and didn't like it. I picked up an AR Gold trigger off the prize table at Benning which I've installed but, haven't had a chance to really wring it out yet.

My .02 cents: Bottom line it's REAL hard to beat a JP trigger.