Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Practice Dummys

Hello All - new board member here - any suggestions on what to use for 12 ga dummys to practice reloading at home? It seems some of the snap caps and such are pretty fragile. Right now I am leaning toward the A-Zoom metal snap caps, but am interested in your opinions. Thank you.

Sorry, when I saw the 'Shotgun Practice Dummys' I had this guy in mind, but I see you were talking about dummy rounds. :D

I saw some that someone loaded. Sand instead of powder and normal shot, no primer. They felt just like a real shell. He painted them bright orange just to be safe.

I loaded up some with filler ( air soft BB's) in bottom and shot on to match the weight.

I used Rem STS hulls as I do not shoot that brand so I can ID them easily.

I can make some more if you do not have access to a shotgun reloading press.

How long do those Rem dummy rounds last?

I had someone make me some dummy rounds but the rims didn't last long. I guess I practice too much.

It will eventually put dings around the rim and make it a little hard to load. But it will make you notice how smooth loading new undinged shells :)

+1 on the Remmies from Brownells.

If you use it on an M1/M2 they should last awhile.

If you use them on a Remmy you need to intercept/slow down the round before it hits that latch that is right after the tube. That part is relatively small (the m1/m2 equivalent is several times bigger) and f's up the rim pretty quick.

Fiocchi makes dummy rounds took. I got a box of 25 for about $15 from Able ammo. (I didn't know Brownell's had them). They look exactly like what's in the picture posted earlier.

Good luck,

Seiichi

My Dad and I just took some fired hulls and loaded them like normal. Didn't de-prime them though. Works like a charm.

Rich

+1.. this is the way to go.. they get dinged up practicing.. making them yourself costs about $4 for 25..

Find someone that has a loader..

• 2 weeks later...

I made some myself. I played around with various materials. In the end the I got the best results with plain supermarket plastic bags. Tear the bag in half, pack it tight into the hull using a screwdriver then seal them with the press. The weight is a little bit off but it does not make all that much of a difference. It is dirt cheap and they seem to last forever.

Slav

Anyone with access to a shotgun reloader can make a batch in just a few minutes.

All you need to do is use a hull color that you never shoot. Put tumbling media into the powder system, spent primers in the primer system and load the shells as you would normally do. When you're done, take a permenant marker and mark the hull and/or bottom of the shell so you can ID them as dummy rounds.

Make extra (25) so that when the rims get really dinged up, just throw them away.

This method will leave you with practice rounds that load, feel, and weigh the same as your normal load. and cheap too!!

Edited by BPiatt

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I guess i live dangerously, I practice with live rounds! Train like u fight.

I tried that but I got too nervous. All it takes is one brain fart (like it never happens on a stage :wacko: ) and boom! Hello neighbor. I do think dummys are the way to go.

Fiocchi and Remington both make dummy rounds. I got my Fiocchi online. Can't remember where I saw the Remington. I think it was about $15 for a box of 25. + shipping and handling. Came out to about $25 total.

Speaking of oops. One of my coworkers went to Frontsight (Nevada) this weekend. Apparently one of the students put a pistol round through the 2nd floor of the hotel. Everyone that booked under the group rate was asked to leave the hotel. Unfortunate guilt by association. Bummer.

Seiichi

Fiocchi and Remington both make dummy rounds. I got my Fiocchi online. Can't remember where I saw the Remington. I think it was about $15 for a box of 25. + shipping and handling. Came out to about $25 total.

Speaking of oops. One of my coworkers went to Frontsight (Nevada) this weekend. Apparently one of the students put a pistol round through the 2nd floor of the hotel. Everyone that booked under the group rate was asked to leave the hotel. Unfortunate guilt by association. Bummer.

Seiichi

That's a good outcome. They might have called the cops.

I hate to say it, but they SHOULD have called to police...and left everyone else in their rooms.

How can you evict everyone for "guilt by association"?

If someone stabs someone in the hotel, do you clear out all the knife-weilding chefs from the kitchen?!!

I would definitely like to see what the evicted people had to say, especially knowing that the hotel KNEW what the guests were there for.

Buuuuuuut...if the hotel did not know what the group was there for, and it clashes with a "weapons policy" that they have in place...well...that's a different story.

This gives all shooters a bad name! :(

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Anyone with access to a shotgun reloader can make a batch in just a few minutes.

All you need to do is use a hull color that you never shoot. Put tumbling media into the powder system, spent primers in the primer system and load the shells as you would normally do. When you're done, take a permenant marker and mark the hull and/or bottom of the shell so you can ID them as dummy rounds.

Make extra (25) so that when the rims get really dinged up, just throw them away.

This method will leave you with practice rounds that load, feel, and weigh the same as your normal load. and cheap too!!

this is what i do but i just fill the shell with spent primers and crimp it

• 5 weeks later...
I guess i live dangerously, I practice with live rounds! Train like u fight.

I agree with training like you fight but even the most experienced shooter can have screw up. I know a really good firearms instructor once who had a ND. he was dry firing and then reloaded to go out. He got a cell phone call. Talked for 10 minutes or so and then the last thing he remembered was dry firing. (older guy) He went back to dry practice except it wasn't. Luckily he was using an old vest in the corner of the room as his back stop. I just ordered some dummy shotgun rounds so I can practice loading this long winter. I don't want any holes in my house.

Pat

• 2 months later...