Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Releasing the slide

dbagwell

I always thought that it was bad to release the slide and allow it to slam shut on an empty chamber. I have always eased mine closed with my opposite hand. It appears to me that most guys on the range just let it slam shut, pull the trigger, and holster it. What do you think? How do you do it?

It has been said that dropping the slide on a 1911 with a light trigger might hurt it eventually. A lot of Bullseye shooters hold the hammer and drop the slide and then snap the trigger (some people don't even drop the hammer they hold it and ease the hammer forward). I'm not a gunsmith so I don't know if either is bad. I can't speak for any other types so others will have to chime in.

Richard

For USPSA "hammer down", you need to let it drop as normal (ie, pull the trigger and do not interfere w/ the hammer movement).

All semi-autos out there are made to close the slide while stripping up a round. Dropping the slide on an empty chamber ends up slamming the slide closed with more force than is intended in the design. That can cause issues with some types of light trigger jobs on a 1911 (hammer bounces onto the nose of the sear). I don't know that it'll really hurt anything else - but I just smoothly let the slide forward on any gun I'm shooting, if I'm not dropping it on a loaded magazine. I don't do that for a specific reason on a non-race 1911, just something I do.

I wouldn't drop the slide on an empty chamber...no need to do so.

Besides, I don't often lock the slide back anyway. When I unload to show clear...I drop the mag, rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber (I probably rack it twice...that would catch a mistake of leaving the mag in the gun)...then I hold the slide back with my off hand while I present the gun to the RO so that he/she can see it is clear...then I'll rack the slide a couple more times...and I'll look in there again myself (since it's my responsibility) to make sure it's empty...before pointing down range into the backstop and going "hammer down".

It has been said that dropping the slide on a 1911 with a light trigger might hurt it eventually. A lot of Bullseye shooters hold the hammer and drop the slide and then snap the trigger (some people don't even drop the hammer they hold it and ease the hammer forward). I'm not a gunsmith so I don't know if either is bad. I can't speak for any other types so others will have to chime in.

Richard

FYI - I'm referring to releasing the slide in the context of a USPSA setting. The sequence is stated as follows: 8.3.7.1 Self-loaders – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or decocker, if any).

Besides, I don't often lock the slide back anyway. When I unload to show clear...I drop the mag, rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber (I probably rack it twice...that would catch a mistake of leaving the mag in the gun)...then I hold the slide back with my off hand while I present the gun to the RO so that he/she can see it is clear...then I'll rack the slide a couple more times...and I'll look in there again myself (since it's my responsibility) to make sure it's empty...before pointing down range into the backstop and going "hammer down".

Read the above---twice. :cheers:

Every couple matches I will pull the slide back on my 2011 type and let it fly like I borrowed it from someone I really don't like. I do it on ALL of my 1911 type guns every thousand rounds or so. If the hammer follows I know that I will have problems in normal shooting before long, if the hammer doesn't follow I am good to go as far as the trigger group goes for a good long while. My current trigger jobs in my Open gun and Limited gun have well over 30K each on them, but for my peace of mind I like to know things are still the way they should be. Sparingly done it won't hurt anything.

I don't normally do it at ULASC, I let the slide down sort of gently and drop the hammer. I don't lock the slide back intentionally and if it is locked back for some reason I don't use the slide stop, I put two hands on the gun and pull the slide back to drop the slide stop. Just a personal habit.

I have no problem slamming the slide shut on my beat-to-hell Glock. Do it anytime the gun's locked-open at ULASC while pocketing the mag with the other hand.

I won't do it to a 1911, though. Especially since every 1911 I've ever shot has been borrowed. ;)

Wanna watch someone cringe? Look over a high-end 1911 at the local gun shop. Drop the slide with the lever, unretarded. Seen that twice, hard to keep from laughing at the look on the salesguy's face.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Wanna watch someone cringe? Look over a high-end 1911 at the local gun shop. Drop the slide with the lever, unretarded. Seen that twice, hard to keep from laughing at the look on the salesguy's face.

Your local gun shops have knowlegeable sales staff? Wow... :roflol:

I ease the slide forward because I am already holding it open to show clear. So I guess it's a matter of habit rather than concern for the gun. I mean really, we are pounding about 150 rounds through the gun in a typical match. Is dropping the slide after each stage really going to damage the gun? I doubt it.

I ease the slide forward because I am already holding it open to show clear. So I guess it's a matter of habit rather than concern for the gun. I mean really, we are pounding about 150 rounds through the gun in a typical match. Is dropping the slide after each stage really going to damage the gun? I doubt it.

Do it enough and watch your fined tuned 1911 trigger job go full auto. Back before I knew better, 20+years ago, I had know clue about damaging the sear engagement by slamming the slide. I had dropped the slide many times as described above on a 1911 Clark Custom Combat in 9mm. Gun did a full auto burst on me in an indoor range and I launched one through the roof. :surprise:

After a trip back to Clark Custom for a new trigger job and a good lesson on the phone by Jim Clark Sr. I never did it again.

Edited for grammar and spelling.

Edited by baerburtchell

I do basically the same thing, I'll rack the slide a couple of times (one of my good habits ;) ), show clear while holding the slide open in my weak hand, let the slide go forward slowly, hammer down and holster.

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause more problems than what it's worth, and most manufactures don't recommend it.

It's plain not worth taking the chance.

Would you beat on your gun with a hammer?? :surprise: basically the same thing.

I am a Production Glock shooter and was never concerned with letting the slide fly, that is until one very important match when the RO (after giving the unload and show clear command) did not put the timer behind his back and the sound of my slide slamming shut made the timer count one more shot. I didn't know what happened until I reviewed my video. To make a long story short I ride the slide forward now.

Edited by danscrapbags

hahaha!!! I read this thread and then visited a local gunshop. While looking around, I hear a loud and careless slide drop, "Ching!!!!". I turn around and it is the employee behind the counter holding a Bersa handgun and pointing the muzzle in my direction about 20' away while holding it sideways for a customer to see. I moved out of the line of sight of the muzzle and just laughed out loud.

Thanks for making my day.

Well everyone, thanks for your replies...you pretty much confirmed what I had learned long ago. It's just that I started to second guess it when I started to witness so many people slamming their slides shut when empty.

Interesting factoid... Now I know none of us runs the gun dry right? I do it all the time in practice... guess what.. yup, you are doing the same thing. Those of us that don't lock open on the last round at least. :surprise:

I'm not going to sweat it...

Edited by JThompson

The trigger is held to the rear during the cycle and the sear is disconnected from the hammer when you shoot the gun dry.....

EDIT: This ^^^^ is wrong, the hammer and sear are disconnected from the trigger bow by the disconnector. Sorry.

Edited by HSMITH