Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duane Thomas

Before I load up a bunch of rounds at 1.130" OAL, does anyone out there have any experience running this OAL in Glock 17/34 mags, and have you experienced any problems? Heretofore I've been running 1.120" with no problems at all, BTW, but adjusting the dies on my new 650, things came out to 1.130" and I've wondering if it's even worth dinking with it from there.

Duane, I load my 9mm at 1.155-1.160 and have had people give me the "Damn that's long" comments.

I would say that it is worth working out on your press to get your load specs to where you want them.

[edit]

The longest I ever loaded is 1.165" using MG 124 JHPs. For reliability, I try to stay no longer than 1.145". I have tried my 9 major loads at 1.175" and you can get a couple of rounds in the mag but then the nose starts to rub and they get stuck while loading.

Using Zero's 125 JHP, I found the best in my Glock 34 is 1.125. Glock mags like the rounds short - compared to other mags.

My Glocks don't care. I started loading at 1.11", I think. I've loaded 1.145-1.15" for a few thousand rounds, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I was shocked when I measured some WWB at 1.16".

Edited by Duane Thomas

Ahh the joys of the Hornady pistol seating die. It's one thing they definitely got right. And much cheaper than some of the other adjustable alternatives like the Redding competition dies. :mellow:

Edited by ninefan

THEY ARE FINE. ROCK ON.

(and yes, I know I am shouting). :):)

As mentioned WWB is 1.160 (pointy bullet profile though).

I think my Zero 125 JHP's are at 1.135-1.140

Anything under 1.150 ought to be butter. From 1.150-1.160...that is where I'd start looking close (especially in a hi-cap).

I got a PM asking were a post went. Turns out a few posts are missing. The common theme seems to be that they were in response to a typo of OAL.

I'm gonna give my moderator an earful on pulling them and not leaving a note as to what happened. ;)

Anyway...that seems to be were they went and with the typo fixed, they don't make sense being here now. So, we are good to go, I think.

- Admin

He did. Sorry about that, guys. In general I always do send folks a PM if I remove one of their posts. I actually did that to the first guy whose post I whacked. But when I saw the number of posts saying, basically, "Hey, guy, you made a typo," I just kept deleting and got lazy about the PMing. Sorry about that. It won't happen again. BTW, as you may have noted, I have changed this topic title and my first post to relfect "1.130" instead of "1.230". Thanks to all who pointed out my error.

I used to load to 1.130 --- until Todd pointed out during a class how much of the brass colored jacket from the Montana Golds was rubbing off in places on my feed ramp. He suggested shortening OAL; I cut it back to 1.100. My occasional feeding problems went away, and I've seen no reason to tinker with it since....

If your gun runs with 1.130 rounds --- obviously you're golden.....

Duane,

I have a 650 and have used 1.13 OAL on at least 8,000 rounds of 9mm. It will work fine in any glock mag. I am using 147 gr. JHP Zero's. Mine will come out to 1.125 - 1.135 if you can get them to come out exactly 1.13 let me know your secret. The .40 I load come out much more precise.

Mine will come out to 1.125 - 1.135 if you can get them to come out exactly 1.13 let me know your secret.

Thanks, De. I've noted the small fluctuations, longer and shorter, from round-to-round in the past. I figure that could cause some problems if you were running close to max OAL, but it looks like at 1.130" I don't need to worry about it.

I load Zero 125 JHP's to 1.130 gor my G17 and G34. I have put thousands of rounds through my G17 at that length with no problems. I have both old and new magazines. No problems with the magazines at all. Load them up and enjoy.

I load MG 124 CMJs to 1.130 and they run flawless. I didn't come to this number due to the magazine though. I actually started at 1.160 and dropped a round in the barrel of each 9mm pistol I might shoot the load through. I kept having drag until I got to 1.150 so I dropped it another .020 just for safety and variations in seating depth. I'd recommend trying the same thing out, you'll find some guns have very short chambers (not necessarily Glocks)

Duane,

I have a 650 and have used 1.13 OAL on at least 8,000 rounds of 9mm. It will work fine in any glock mag. I am using 147 gr. JHP Zero's. Mine will come out to 1.125 - 1.135 if you can get them to come out exactly 1.13 let me know your secret. The .40 I load come out much more precise.

I was having the same problem? I was getting about the same difference in Oal's then I started running same head stamp stuff again, and that solved my problem.

• 2 weeks later...