Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DS-10's

Barrettone

Sci just dropped off the speedloaders I ordered. He made the trip up to Clio to pick 'em up. We had lunch and were discussing just how ultra-cool this system is. Man, they are really built well. I can't wait to use them at the range this weekend!!! With the loading block, it is easy to reload them, and now I have a relatively cheap practice piece that I can use. Not to mention that steel challenge is now a cheap possibility as well. I will post back with a report after I try them out, but I gotta tell you, at first glance, these things are impressive!!!

http://www.msnusers.com/speedloader

Thanks again Sci!!!

Jeff

post-2912-1230748670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barrettone

Sci just dropped off the speedloaders I ordered. He made the trip up to Clio to pick 'em up. We had lunch and were discussing just how ultra-cool this system is. Man, they are really built well. I can't wait to use them at the range this weekend!!! With the loading block, it is easy to reload them, and now I have a relatively cheap practice piece that I can use. Not to mention that steel challenge is now a cheap possibility as well. I will post back with a report after I try them out, but I gotta tell you, at first glance, these things are impressive!!!

http://www.msnusers.com/speedloader

Thanks again Sci!!!

Jeff

Heres a video of those speedloaders in action. (dial up beware)....

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=...&CID=185955

I really like the speed loaders but the only time the rounds will drop all the way into the chambers is the 1st 10 rounds after cleaning the chambers. I use CCI Blazer and Mini-Mags. Anybody else? Do I need different ammo?

I got 4 of these for Christmas. I've been threatening to get some for months, but just never got around to it. I really like them.

However, in using them, I found that I had to push the shells in with my thumb after the first cylinder, as mentioned above.

On closer inspection I found that the pins that push the shells out didn't go all the way to the end of the speedloader, and the pins

stuck out all different lengths. So I made longer sleeves that go around the bolt and put in longer pins. I still need to get longer

bolts, but these work for now. Now all the pins are exactly the same length and they stick out past the bottom when compressed

so the cartridges can all be pushed all the way in with one motion. They are great now!

Hey guys, thanks for great comments on my loaders, I hope they do the trick for your steel matches.

You'll have to fill me in on these matches, I never shot steel, just pins (by the way Matt, glad you don't come to our pin shoots, that lets me take first in iron class) :D

Just kidding Matt, our winter league starts this Friday, it would be good to see ya there.

Also, Pat, thanks for the video, I wish my DSL was fast enough to see it play right though.

Edited by DS-10-SPEED

I got 4 of these for Christmas. I've been threatening to get some for months, but just never got around to it. I really like them.

However, in using them, I found that I had to push the shells in with my thumb after the first cylinder, as mentioned above.

On closer inspection I found that the pins that push the shells out didn't go all the way to the end of the speedloader, and the pins

stuck out all different lengths. So I made longer sleeves that go around the bolt and put in longer pins. I still need to get longer

bolts, but these work for now. Now all the pins are exactly the same length and they stick out past the bottom when compressed

so the cartridges can all be pushed all the way in with one motion. They are great now!

I sent him an e-mail about the pin heights. Was told they're different height to reduce the effort required to push the rounds free of the speedloaders. It does reduce the effort. Got a lot harder with the pins equal height, took a real push. The pins seem to need to be longer, even with the heights staggered. Some people seem to have no problem, I was wondering how?

Edited by Tom E

I sent him an e-mail about the pin heights. Was told they're different height to reduce the effort required to push the rounds free of the speedloaders. It does reduce the effort. Got a lot harder with the pins equal height, took a real push. The pins seem to need to be longer, even with the heights staggered. Some people seem to have no problem, I was wondering how?

Tom,

These loaders are still evolving, they started with the pins the same length, but many said they were too hard to push that's why the pins are staggered 0.05" now. This reduces the force to load by half, by loading 5 then another 5 a split second later. I could put in a weaker garter spring but then they will fall out if dropped. The reason for not pushing all the way in was done as a safety thing, that way there is no hard force applied to the primer area while loading. Also the space between the cylinder and the grip also dictates how long the speed loader can be to fit at all. I am currently working on an injection mold process that will offer other options for building these things, (mainly eliminate all the drilling!) also be able to make them shorter by molding the pins in the top and make the top smaller. I was a circuit board designer in my real job, making speed loaders has been a learning experience. You guys are my field testers!!!!!, keep up the feedback.

I've got 7 (lost 1) & 4 blocks and since I don't have any speedloader holders I use an Allen shotshell holder I bought at WalMart with 2 compartments. I'm getting ready to send off an order for more so I can do 100 rounds at a time like I do with my 22 autos.

I got them so i could practice on the cheap. (Haven't made it out yet). .22 is a lot cheaper than .38 or .45 and no reloading.

I could have made some myself, but don't have time for that either. Thanks for making a good quality product.

Best Wishes for the New Year.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I forgot to bring mags to the local pinheads match, and S&WIowegan was kind enough to let me shoot his open 617. It was sweet, but I was even more impressed with the DS-10s! Those thing work great, and the only time I had any problem was when I dropped one on the concrete floor and sent 10 .22 rounds skittering across the floor. A 617 and DS-10s have now jumped right to the top of my short list.

• 4 months later...

Hopefully others will have better ideas, but I took the guts out of a CCW moonclip holder and then bent the front metal back until it was tight enough to hold the DS-10's in. I don't think it would hold them in if I wanted to run through a USPSA stage, but it works if you're just walking around or standing.

I just carry them to the line in a small tupperware container, that way after each run I can empty the contents of the cylinder into the tupperware. Then later on I can sort out the live rounds from the empty brass.

I have a simple shotgun shell bag that clips on my belt. I go to the line with my loaded DS-10s in the bag. After each run, I dump the contents of the cylinder in the bag too. After all the runs, it's a simple matter to sort the unfired rounds into the DS-10 loading blocks. The bag is a cheapie from Wally world.

Bob.

A16841

I got a 617 for my birthday present today. (birthday is friday) Man that thing is sweet! Now to get a couple of DS-10s and loading block.

The link for his web page didn't work on the post above. Anyone have a working link? Final things I need for the 3 days of Revo.