Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP loads for 625

scottyinAZ

Just shot my 625 tonight for the first time!!! Going from my Randy gun to a stock PC gun was a shock. i found out that my thrown together load was leaving a lot of unburnt powder in the cylinders and under the star, causing the cylinder to lock up. so i was wondering what everyone else is using for a major and minor 45 load.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Scott

Just shot my 625 tonight for the first time!!! Going from my Randy gun to a stock PC gun was a shock. i found out that my thrown together load was leaving a lot of unburnt powder in the cylinders and under the star, causing the cylinder to lock up. so i was wondering what everyone else is using for a major and minor 45 load.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Scott

I use a 230 LRN, 4.0 clays, Winchester brass, Federal primer, 1.245 OAL and the crimp I think is 0.468ish. This is out of a 4" 625.

Precision Bullets RNF, Federal brass, Federal 150 primer. 1.200"oa.

Major: 230gr, 4.7 gr WST. 200 gr, 5.0 gr WST

Minor: 200 gr, 4.3gr Solo 1000

These are for a 5" 625.

Edited by Tom E

I use cast lead RN for practice and Zero 230-gr. RN for matches. 4.3 grains of Clays. And plenty of crimp.

You use cast RN for WHAT??? This must be an imposter.....

Skip :cheers:

What I really meant to say was that I shoot lead for practice matches (local stuff) and jacketed for real matches (major events). Practicing is unethical.

Hmmm,

I have to chrono this, but I run 4.0 of clays behind a 230 Precision Delta RN and use Federal Match primers (all I could get) Clean and no problems so far. Same load as for my SS, except the primers. I switch over to Win LP for that. cheaper, I mean we are talking real money here, must be at least 0.003 per primer cheaper! Heck that will move up my retirement date by as much as 30-40 seconds!

Jim

Precision 230 RN, 3.9 Clays @ 1.260 - 171 PF

Shot from a STI Trojan W/ 5" tube.

Recommendations for a bottom feeder are useless for a revolver. Only good for running up your post count.

I use the same load in my 5" 625. I shoot Revo in USPSA and ICORE.

Edit to add pic.

625.jpg

Edited by 71Commander

Recommendations for a bottom feeder are useless for a revolver. Only good for running up your post count.

Edit to add pic.

Chronographed them in your revolver?

Edit to add pic.

Chronographed them in your revolver?

Yes. Most recently at this years Michigan Sectional.

Billy Bullet 230gr RN, 4.4gr Solo 1000, 1.300"

Pretty sure it is well into major, I'll look up my chrono data and tell you Sunday.

Approx 280 rounds (with no cleaning) at the Monster Match two weeks ago with no problems.

Brad

WOW!!! thanks for all the info so far guys. i am going to try to use the solo as thats what i use in the super as well. hope to just swap the powder measure from auto load to revo load and keep all else the same. works for my supers so far. i tried titegroup and it was a mess, maybe too light crimp, maybe too light bullet, who knows. i will keep at it.

Thank you

Scott

Pretty sure it is well into major, I'll look up my chrono data and tell you Sunday.

Approx 280 rounds (with no cleaning) at the Monster Match two weeks ago with no problems.

Brad

Brad - FWIW, 4.7 grains of S1000 under a 230 grain RNL loaded to 1.26" OAL went somewhere in the low 160s for PF from my 4" M22.

How about a "mousefart" load for the 625 no power factor consideration. Have a 3 inch 625 with a small boot grip that needs something light recoiling. Plan to shoot it in our clubs upcoming BUG match. So far backing off on charges makes for dirty chambers.

Boats

Brad

Brad - FWIW, 4.7 grains of S1000 under a 230 grain RNL loaded to 1.26" OAL went somewhere in the low 160s for PF from my 4" M22.

I found my notes and from my 5in 625 I'm getting a 183pf (799fps) with 4.4gr of S1000 and the 230gr Billy Bullets. Previous test loads were 4.6gr at 188pf, and 4.8gr at 192pf (at a little shorter OAL). I need to find time to check them again and also see what the Titegroup/230gr JHPs for my 1911 do through the 625.

I settled on the 1.300 OAL as it puts the max diameter of the RN Billy Bullet just at the case mouth. My theory is that a smooth transition from bullet to case will help guide the rounds into the cylinder for quick reloads???

How about a "mousefart" load for the 625 no power factor consideration. Have a 3 inch 625 with a small boot grip that needs something light recoiling. Plan to shoot it in our clubs upcoming BUG match. So far backing off on charges makes for dirty chambers.

Boats

Take any of the loads for the 230 gr bullet, just substitute a 200 gr bullet, not changing the powder charge. You can't reverse this process though. You can not take the load data for a 200 gr bullet and replace it with a 230 gr bullet without changing the powder charge.

Brad

I found my notes and from my 5in 625 I'm getting a 183pf (799fps) with 4.4gr of S1000 and the 230gr Billy Bullets. Previous test loads were 4.6gr at 188pf, and 4.8gr at 192pf (at a little shorter OAL). I need to find time to check them again and also see what the Titegroup/230gr JHPs for my 1911 do through the 625.

I settled on the 1.300 OAL as it puts the max diameter of the RN Billy Bullet just at the case mouth. My theory is that a smooth transition from bullet to case will help guide the rounds into the cylinder for quick reloads???

I thought max OAL for a .45 acp was 1.285.

I thought max OAL for a .45 acp was 1.285.

My books show 1.275" max but I've run 1500 or so at 1.300" through my 625 with no problems. 1.300" is too long to fit in my 1911 magazines so I haven't checked to see if they'll chamber in a 1911 barrel.