Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you guys think of this gun?

Plissken

Hmmm never heard of a STI....isn't that disease?

No seriously, your on the right forum to talk STI/SVI they make great guns and if there is a problem their customer service is top notch. Oh we don't shoot them, we wear them out.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

My experience with STI factory guns is they usually need a little massaging to make them work for the shooter. That is to say, they will most likely need to be customized to you in order to function 100%.

My suggestion is to buy one from Dawson Precision or Brazos Custom Gunworks. Have them tune it up first. you will be much happier. I was.

My experience with STI factory guns is they usually need a little massaging to make them work for the shooter. That is to say, they will most likely need to be customized to you in order to function 100%.

My suggestion is to buy one from Dawson Precision or Brazos Custom Gunworks. Have them tune it up first. you will be much happier. I was.

+1. most people in Limited and Open divisions use STI/SVI frame based guns. some are factory guns, some factory+ tuning guns and some full custom guns.

as far as 1911/2011s go STI/SVI are the best of the "straight from the factory" guns IMO. the next step up would be a semi custom and then full custom build.

i guess alot the answer to your question depends on what you are using it for. USPSA/IPSC? what division? Carry? home defense?

A buddy and myself order them in Jan / Feb and received them around June of 08. It's a great gun ..... you'll love it! (Whats not to love)

i guess alot the answer to your question depends on what you are using it for. USPSA/IPSC? what division? Carry? home defense?

Carry/HD

I'd have a de-horning job done to it, but I don't know of any other "tune ups." What would you guys recommend?

Also, I want to get the pictured pistol in .45ACP. Looks as though Dawson only carries it in .40S&W.

Carry/HD

I'd have a de-horning job done to it, but I don't know of any other "tune ups." What would you guys recommend?

Also, I want to get the pictured pistol in .45ACP. Looks as though Dawson only carries it in .40S&W.

I dont think there's much to do to it at all, not for carry. Dawson has them in .40 because thats what is popular with the

Limited division of USPSA/IPSC for capacity reasons. I dont think you need a 2lbs. trigger job, a fiber optic front sight, or

tuned mags with oversized basepads for carry. For what you are looking for I think your good to go from the

factory. Just put a "couple" hundred rounds throught it to break everything in. From then on, if it does'nt work,

it's probobly the ammo !! :cheers:

Great gun. I just bought one from a local dealer because I wanted to trade in a gun. My Edge came right from the box with a bright polished feed ramp, clean, light target trigger, and stone reliable! And while I love .45, the capacity of this gun in 40 is awesome and 40 feels like a warm 9mm when fired from this smooth luxo-boat. Buy from Dawson or Brazos for the extra measure of assuredness, but remember that box-stock Edges can certainly be flawless and reliable without any tuning at all.

I'm not using mine for competition, but for home defense, so I installed a Dawson front tritium sight.... makes all the difference in the world. Rear sight is fine as is, or can be replaced by a gorgeous & rugged fixed sight from John Harrison.

if reliability is a must (i.e. a carry gun), then get the gun and mags tuned!

I need you to elaborate on that. I can't just take it to a smith and say "please tune this" or else I'll get "tune what?"

Brazos and Dawson Precision web sites have a brief explaination of the tuning package. If you tell them the gun is for carry they may do a slightly different tune, like the trigger. I'm not sure about that just me thinking.

The tuning is worth the wait.

Edited by dstroyed

You guys agree with the sentiments here?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&...3499&page=1

Wow, it looks like you sure opened a can of worms over there! :roflol:

I own and shoot several STIs, Glocks, Paras, and several single stacks (Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Wilson, Colt). What you decide to shoot/carry should be what YOU like best. It has to fit your hand properly, and all brands CAN run 100%, or, give you grief. Regardless if your choice is for competition, or self defense, you should run at least 200 rounds of the ammo you are going to use through it to make sure it is going to run properly for you and practice, practice, practice....

I have two STI's, a EDGE and a TACTICAL compact both in 40cal, neither gun needed tuning they ran right out of the box.

I shoot the Edge for competition and carry the tactical, both guns have been shot very dirty, with dirty mags and function just

fine, I'm a trim carpenter so the pistol gets full of MDF dust, this stuff is almost like baby powder, it will find every nook

cranny in the pistol and never had a problem. I trust my Life with that pistol.

My Edge was so slick and the trigger (3.5#) so sweet box-stock that I would imagine Brazos or Dawson may really have little to do, tuning-wise, other than just look things over, which is never a bad idea, though. I do think that for the price, one should get tool steel thumb safety, slide stop, and ejector, but STI sees fit to have those parts made with MIM, unfortunately.

Plisskin... here's the response I gave to your thread over on AR-15:

I happen to own and shoot a lot of different guns, lots of 1911's from Colt, Springfield, Kimber (originals, no Ser II), Ed Brown, Dan Wesson. And six Glocks (26, 19, 23, 29, 30, 21SF). Several Browning Hi-Powers, a whole bunch of S&W revos, some Ruger revos, and some other stuff. In addition, I recently bought an STI Edge, which is a 5" variant of the Tactical you are interested in. So from my perspective with all of these guns, I like 'em all for various reasons and they all hold respectable positions in the handgun world. 1911's are great, Glocks are great, HP's are great, S&W and Ruger revos are great, and there are plenty of other great guns out there. That behind us... let's talk about the Edge!

The STI Edge and Tactical are nearly the same gun except for barrel length & dustcover... they're really, really slick, well engineered variant on the 1911, as you know, called the 2011. Fit and finish is absolutely gorgeous. Some MIM parts in there which I'm not real happy about, but overall, the gun is really, really nice. Great capacity (especially with rebuilt mags using Grams & Bolen parts). Reliability is awesome. STI service is also excellent should you need it. And to repeat what others have said, there are a heck of a lot of high level competition shooters who choose STI and shoot massive quantities of ammo through them with complete trust and faith in the quality and reliability. (Visit Brianenos.com and you'll find out quickly how popular the STI Edge is with competitive shooters who shoot a lot!)

You can carry the Edge or Tactical (carry is easier with the magwell removed), and I do on occasion. Some would find the size and weight of the Edge a little much for extensive carry us, and the Tactical would be a little better in that regard. The Tactical would make a nice high-cap carry gun. For a home defense pistol (what I bought my Edge for) I think the Edge is superb. With either, for defense use all you need to do is swap out the plain black front sight for a Dawson tritium front sight and the gun is great for HD. Grip size is easier and more comfortable for me (feels a little smaller) than the Glock 21SF grip. Of course as a competition gun, they are right there in the cream of the crop.

I bought my Edge in .40 caliber because I wanted the higher capacity (19 rounds with standard 126mm mag, after switching to Grams follower & spring and Bolen pad!) and .40 is the most popular caliber choice for an Edge.... so it's very common and easy to find in .40! I've found that with the Edge, the typically snappy feeling .40 caliber feels a lot like you're shooting 9mm. Yes, the Edge feels like a luxo-boat 1911... weighty, smooth, competent. Surprisingly, the polymer grip has a high quality feel as well and the checkering grips the hand very well with a nice little bite. The Edge really makes shooting .40 very enjoyable indeed. I'd love to have one in .45 as well, but I prefer the extra capacity of the 40 and .40 caliber Federal 180gr. HST's are a very highly effective defense load... especially from the 5" Edge barrel!

Of course the Edge or Tactical won't be the best gun for ALL people and ALL purposes, so you'll no doubt want other guns in your personal armory to round things out a bit. But have no fear in buying an Edge or Tactical.... they're incredible high capacity guns!!! To handle and shoot an Edge is to understand. Don't pay any attention to people who have no experience with them. These are impressive guns for sure. .45 would be great in this gun, but .40 gives even more capacity and CAPACITY is one of the biggest reasons why you would choose a 2011 gun. Couple such high capacity as 19 rounds of potent .40 caliber in a gun that is a very high quality 1911 at it's roots and you've got something very special that not a lot of people know about, much less really understand.

Edited by DHart

First off...... WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I started with a glock and really did love it. But if I had the means to get a hold of my S_I sooner I would have. Looking back now, I would have found a way to get into this platform from the start! IMO it is the best platform made.... "for me anyway" B) If you do go that route you would NOT be sorry!!

Good shooting to you and a great Holiday season

:cheers:

Todd

I bought a Trojan at the first of the year and had some problems with it out of the box.

The mag release had a chip missing that would cause the mags to hang up and not be allowed to be seated easily, added to that the trigger bow was warped and partially blocked the mags from seating.

STI sent me new parts over the phone and I've been shooting it since with no problems. I bought it brand new from a local dealer, If I had to do it again I would have bought from dawson or brazos and have them tune it.

Would have saved me the frustration.

Competition is a crucible, what works sticks around, what doesnt is quickly cast aside.

In a sport that requires 100% reliability, good accuracy, and the durability to fire thousands of rounds without a hiccup and last years and years look at the single platform that dominates Limited and Open division. Like any gun they may need some tweakiing. I personally refuse to pay for "tuning" of mags or the gun if I intend to run SAMMI Spec ammo in factory capacity magazines. I have every bit of confidence an STI will run or STI will make it right without third party tuning. Most of the "tuning" you hear about is many of us dont run SAMMI spec ammo or want to squeeze one or two more rounds into the magazines. Personally I have no use for light rails and would look at a basic commander style. I would also choose a .40.

if reliability is a must (i.e. a carry gun), then get the gun and mags tuned!

If you're looking for a carry gun, why in the world would you consider any gun that requires tuning to be reliable????? Buy a Glock, M&P, XD, or even best of all, a revolver. You could nearly buy one of each for what it'd cost you to buy this gun and have it tuned. And you'd never have to worry about reliability.

If competition is your interest, S_I's can't be beat! Takes a little playing to get 'em right, but once they are, sit back and enjoy.