Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you identify this paw print?

My wife found these prints in fresh snow, in my driveway on the 15th. We live in town, but it's a wooded area with resident deer that feed at my neighbors house every morning. He pours a big pile of corn on his driveway every morning for the local critters to eat.

At first, I thought these were dog prints. Then I convinced myself they were too large to be a dog. We sent copies to the DNR, but they haven't been very helpful. A friend of my wife's is a forrest ranger, and she believes they could be from a mountain lion. Since there are no "claw" marks, we are pretty certain it's a big cat.

Since we have small kids, we're a little freaked out.

Thanks.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

The track with the penny next to it, is a double track. The one in front of it is a better size to compare with something. Tail drag no, foot drag yes. I would lean towards a canine, big cats bobcat and mtn lion need heavy cover.

We've had several people locally claim to have seen a mtn lion for over 4 years now, with no pictures. Anything is possible, a couple of years ago if somebody said they saw a wolf it would be dismissed as a large coyote. A wild strain wolf was shot, now wolves are protected in Illinois.

Rich

Chris

I'd bet on canine too. I checked all my "tracking" books and the tracks aren't really shaped right to be a big cat. Secondly...unless they are running.... cats will put their rear foot in the front track the majority of the time.... where as canines rarely do that.

Regarding the DNR releasing big cats..... That one is far less likely than the black "chopper" story.

The smaller print in the 1st photo is more canine. The gap between the toes forms an X with the sides of the big pad. The larger print looks like cat, but the double track makes sense.

I have coyotes and bobcats on my property, so I schooled myself on the tracks. Just saw some huge cat tracks by our back pond, about as wide as my hand. A neighbor saw a cougar cross a road about 1/2 mile away, so that is likely. At least the back pond is about 700 yards back from the house. We saw a coyote which is roughly wolf-sized; must be a coyote, not a wolf. TAMU says there are no wolves or natural crosses around here. If the Aggies say it, it must be true, right? :devil: I am thinking about getting a trail/game camera to watch over things.

Lee

Per Chris

I'll stay indoors for the next 99 days.

At 6' 6" and 292...... You can go out anytime you want. I think the only North American critters that would give you a tough time are polar and brown bears. :bow:

Your kids..... maybe not so much.

This morning we had fresh snow (again--- we've had 33" so far this year) and there was a single deer track (trail) across my yard less than 15 feet from my back door. I measured the individual tracks on the paved driveway....and they were well over 3".... which means there's about a 90% it was a lone buck.. I should have been hunting from my kitchen window this morning. :ph34r:

I'm guessing firing my black powder rifle in the kitchen might receive negative reviews from the spouse.