Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube - Is it a must?

Since I have not used case lube in the past with my 650. My reloading arm had a talk with me the last time we reloaded and the arm won. My only question is after the reload is completed do you have to wipe off the brass before firing the round?

Hi there,

Some folks wipe, some clean with a light solvent and rag, some tumble. I leave it on. It has never caused any problem that I can see other than a little grime on my fingers after loading a bunch of mags. Do a search of the reloading forums for "case lube" and you will find pages of stuff to enjoy.

Later,

Chuck

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have not used case lube in the past with my 650. My reloading arm had a talk with me the last time we reloaded and the arm won. My only question is after the reload is completed do you have to wipe off the brass before firing the round?
Sorry to have hijack this thread. I should of done my homework. I found my answer on a past thread

Sorry to have hijack this thread. I should of done my homework. I found my answer on a past thread

You will find it is pretty hard to come up with a question that has not been asked here! Welcome to the forums! Treat yourself to a brat, eh?

My only question is after the reload is completed do you have to wipe off the brass before firing the round?

One of the very nice things about Hornady One-Shot (and RCBS, for that matter) is that after it evaporates you can barely tell it was there. One thing that bugs me about the Dillon case lube is that, in my experience, it never evaporates. That might sound like a good feature, but I should be able to load my magazines during practices sessions or at matches without feeling like Slimer from Ghostbusters just had his way with my fingers. :(

Hi there,

Some folks wipe, some clean with a light solvent and rag, some tumble. I leave it on. It has never caused any problem that I can see other than a little grime on my fingers after loading a bunch of mags. Do a search of the reloading forums for "case lube" and you will find pages of stuff to enjoy.

Later,

Chuck

I used to leave it on, it didn't hurt functionality. However, I like to stripe my brass, and it really keeps the dye from sticking. It acts as a barrier and makes the marks come off during firing. If I clean them first, the stripe stays on until tumbling...

Case lube isn't necessary but I know my arm can tell the difference after long reloading sessions if I don't use One Shot.

I use Dillon's case lube, much easier. I talked to them about getting it off the cases. They said to tumble for a couple of minutes afterward.

I prefer straight unscented, pure lanolin (which is the actual lubricant in several commercial case lubes). Put a couple hundred cases in a box, dab a spot a third the size of a pencil eraser on your hand, work the lanolin around your hand/fingers and then run your hands through the cases in the box...don't have to get every case. The press will run easier and you don't have to tumble/clean the finished rounds. I tried One-Shot and wasn't very impressed with it at all. I've used other lubes, but many of them (Dillon) tend to be messy.

Just loaded about 500 rounds of 9mm. I used one shot case lube for the first time. I am hooked on the stuff. Much easier to operate the press.

Once you go lube, you cant go back !! :cheers: Now what are you going to do when you run out ?? :surprise:

Someone mentioned Oneshot was like $12.00 per can earlier in the thread ??? I just got some cans at

, of all places Cabelas, for $5.99ea...

• 5 weeks later...

Another rookie question:

when you guys use case. Start from the beginning...are you taking dirty brass, putting it in the tumbler for a few hours and clean it. Then lay it out in a box or whatever and spray it a few times. Shake it or wipe it, then throw it in your loader and go? Or are you spraying it before you tumble it? sorry for the stupid question? thks!

Another rookie question:

when you guys use case. Start from the beginning...are you taking dirty brass, putting it in the tumbler for a few hours and clean it. Then lay it out in a box or whatever and spray it a few times. Shake it or wipe it, then throw it in your loader and go? Or are you spraying it before you tumble it? sorry for the stupid question? thks!

Yes, you tumble it unti it's clean and then lube right before loading. R,

one shot = no

Before I drive all over the place....What type of store carries teflon powder? Automotive, Lowes?? I just want to try a small amount first.

thanks

I'm not sure about stores. I just wrote the guy on ebay that I got mine from. He says he's currently out. I did a google search for "teflon powder" and came up with this: http://www.spurlocktools.com/id39.htm.

There are several guys at my club that use the teflon powder. I have a little squirt bottle and just sprinkle a little into the case feeder. It doesn't take much. I have a 3 to 5 ounce bottle that has lasted for a couple years...and I still have a lot left.

D

After reading this thread I went ahead and sprayed some One Shot all over some brass before reloading. WOW it is easier. I guess that even after however many 100,000 rounds I've loaded- there is still stuff to learn.

one shot = no

I'd say my experience is a bit different (I use the aerosol, not the water based pump version).

Light application, especially on nickel plated brass, no problem. AAMOF, I like the slick feel to the round.

Moderate to heavy application, especially on regular brass, over time, the loaded case sometimes gets an unpleasant stickiness.

For me, the One Shot is a must, and I like using a fair amount because it makes cycling every case through the press as consistent as possible. I end up taking it off to avoid the stickiness (a spritz of rubbing alcohol onto an old towel, dump on the loaded rounds, another spritz on top, quick rub down, and it's done).