Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 10 vs. Production

saibot

During my 2nd match this weekend where I signed up as Production, I was informed that I was in the wrong class with my M&P9 with 17rd mags and I should be in Limited class. If production only allows 10 rd mags, why even have it since it's really no different from the Limited 10.

I'm sure I'm just missing something. What's the difference?

Thanks!

in production:

no mag well

minor power factor only

holster and mag pouches behind hip bone

no external modifications

L10:

anything you can use in limited is legal for L10

IIRC L10 was created so the states with restrictive gun laws (capacity limit of 10 rds) could play using what they have.

So if I use a unmodified M&P9 in Limited doesn't that put me at a competitive disadvantage?

Thanks for the great info!

yes as you would be scored minor....just load your mags to 10 and one in the gun when allowed and run that gun in production. We sometimes suggest to the newer shooters to shoot in Limited and load up their mags so they don't have to do but maybe one reload per stage. Cuts down on the DQ factor and less for them to think about.

Edited by steel1212

During my 2nd match this weekend where I signed up as Production, I was informed that I was in the wrong class with my M&P9 with 17rd mags and I should be in Limited class. If production only allows 10 rd mags, why even have it since it's really no different from the Limited 10.

I'm sure I'm just missing something. What's the difference?

Thanks!

perhaps the person who told you this thought you were shooting .40,...which would then make sense of his advice. SHooting 9mm in production and only loading 10rds in your mags is a good platform for production division. Even if you were shooting .40,...in L10,..you would still only load 10rds in your mags....(+1 rd in the chamber).

did you wear you holster and mag pouches behind the hip bones?? If not,..you would be shooting in L10 regardless of calibre.

It is advantageous to shoot .40 in L10 due to the scoring structure. .40 scores major,...and 9mm scores minor.

Sounds like they were saying that if you wanted to load the mags all the way up, you'd need to run in Limited class because production only allows 10 rounds in the mag.

Limited and Limited 10 are the same as far as pistol mods go, but you only load 10 in the mag for Limited 10. Both allow for more modifications than in the production class.

So, what you should be doing is only loading 10 rounds in your stock mags and then shoot production.

There were some guys at a recent match shooting Production that filled their mags up beyond the 10 round capacity limit for Production division. Since they already shot a couple stages I had to change their score sheet to reflect the division change and explained to them why. They were cool with it and started loading to 10 just so they could get the proper practice for the division they would be shooting in in the future.

Thanks all for the great information!

I was told by my friend that I was wearing my mag pouch and holster a little too far forward. I didn't realize that was a production only thing.

Knowing the rules now I'm curious what class you all suggest I (with my 9mm) compete in and why?

TIA

Production

Load 10 rounds and go. Make sure you have your gear in the correct place and everything is legal for Production Division. There is an appendix in the rule book where it goes into detail and the rule book is available online if you don't have a copy.

It comes down to a choice based on the equipment you have and the field you want to play with. My wife has an M&P 9mm and a DOH Bladetech. She's a new shooter. the 9 is at a disadvantage in any other division than production because of PF. ALL shooters are scored minor in production regardless of caliber so at least you are on a level playing field. BUT because it was capped at 10 rounds and I didn't want her to have to worry about doing too many reloads, we loaded her to capacity and had her in Limited Minor. At some point when she's more comfortable shooting (and more competitive) she'll probably move to production. BUT it means she'll have to drop the DOH too.

A lot of the divisions represent changes to technology and political climate. I.e. the single stack guys wanting to shoot a stock .45 (mostly) and not feel outgunned by the guys with 20 rnd magazines... L10 for the guys in NJ and CA etc.. To me I see each division as a challenge and opportunity to play with different rules. Pick yer posion and have fun with it. Who knows there may be a L-ONE in our future.

At some point when she's more comfortable shooting (and more competitive) she'll probably move to production. BUT it means she'll have to drop the DOH too.

Lee,

she can keep the DOH in production.....

SS would be a different story....

Nik's right. Due to the anatomical difference between a man and a woman, women are allowed to use the DOH in Production.

Not limited just to wimmin in Production:

From Appendix D4 - Production Division:

20 Holster restrictions

•Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type holster prohibited.

•May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

•Revolver holsters open no lower than halfway down the cylinder.

(That rulebook is a pesky, and apparently elusive little thing, ain't it? :lol: )

There were some guys at a recent match shooting Production that filled their mags up beyond the 10 round capacity limit for Production division. Since they already shot a couple stages I had to change their score sheet to reflect the division change and explained to them why. They were cool with it and started loading to 10 just so they could get the proper practice for the division they would be shooting in in the future.

I assume that you bumped them into Open Division.

Jim

Jim

Your assumption would be correct Sir. Mark Ramsey is a good teacher. ;) I have been studying the rule book a little in order to learn, but most everything I know thus far has come from paying attention and listening to him.

Jim

Your assumption would be correct Sir. Mark Ramsey is a good teacher. ;) I have been studying the rule book a little in order to learn, but most everything I know thus far has come from paying attention and listening to him.

Aw, shucks.

:blush:

You're ahead of a lot of people, Bobby. At least you're making an attempt to improve your understanding of the sport (which will ultimately benefit you most of all).

Rock Production. It sounds like you have all the right gear, and your pistol and caliber will not put you at a disadvantage.

Trust me...you can shoot your ass off in a major match shooting minor and do well...but when your competition is being scored major, you are at a significant disadvantage.