Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1187 birdshot

fp45liberator

7 1/2 or 8, 1 1/8oz 3-drams will handle 99% of you bird shot needs.

Ed

I think I ran into the other 1% at Benning this past weekend. Wish I had some 3 1/4 , 1 1/4, 71/2 or 8's.

yuppp glad i had some fiochhi 7 1/2s for the star... worked nicely........

Hey Run n Gun, It will help to have a couple chokes in your bag at the match for different situations. There is not one perfect choke. Tighten it up for heavy steel, and the next stage will be all clays at 8yds. Take one medium choke and find out they are using 3/4" steel plates that high brass #6 won't knock down. So... Like the old Boy Scout Motto- Be Prepared!

Hmm, what choke? I run a Light-Modified and, to the best of my memory, never felt I needed a heavier shot charge. And around here they like to put the occasional BIG, HEAVY (non-regulation) steel targets for us to knock over...

Ed

Yes , choke can play a large part in taking steel and that is part of my problem. I was running a cylinder bore fixed choke gun. So, instead of changing chokes I change loads. And before you advise me to get chokes for my gun, I already have others set-up with choke tubes , but this was what I had at the time.

I mostly run 1 1/8 #9 3dr, IC choke. Haven't really had problems knocking down steel, even at Ironman. For the bigger matches I like to spend a few extra bucks and get Win. AA target loads, but the Estate works well, too. OTOH, the Wally World Federal #8 works good too. But stay away from the cheap Winchester. I've seen it jam up way to many guns, even pumps!

• 2 weeks later...
I mostly run 1 1/8 #9 3dr, IC choke. Haven't really had problems knocking down steel, even at Ironman. For the bigger matches I like to spend a few extra bucks and get Win. AA target loads, but the Estate works well, too. OTOH, the Wally World Federal #8 works good too. But stay away from the cheap Winchester. I've seen it jam up way to many guns, even pumps!

I also saw an 870 pump jam on the cheap, Winchester loads with the aluminum base. The guy borrowed some brass base shells and didn't have any more issues. But, after being at the BOTTOM of one stage, for score, he'd pretty much trashed the match.

I mainly shoot #8, 3 dram, either AA, or, Remington SPS at the larger matches, but, I usually have some heavy, #6s and some spreaders on my cart for the stages where they have mixed targets.

Winchester AA light target loads 2 3/4 dr., 1 1/8, #9 shot works great in my 1100. I use choke to suit my needs but have never had to use anything other than IC and Modified. Good thing since my slugs (cheap Wolf) shoot well in these chokes too!

RH45 wrote:

The guy borrowed some brass base shells and didn't have any more issues.

I might be wrong here, but I think what you're actually seeing is a brass plating.

The base of the shell is actually steel, I think, and then that has been brass plated.

I've got some Winchester AA hulls around the house. I'll have to take a magnet to them just to confirm.

I have also seen, I think it was an 870 pump gun jam up tighter than a drum. I don't know if it was because it was being fed cheap shells or what??? :unsure: .

As far as what size birdshot goes, I think I have read some other threads here where if guys are having problems with steel falling, like on a Texas star, some guys will have some #4's on their belts that they will stuff in their guns.

I haven't run into any problems using the # 7.5's .

Really, you should go out and pattern your shotgun to see how your particular shells and choke combinations will give you performance wise on paper.

I mean you do sight in your pistols and your rifles (AR's?), right?

Edited by Chills1994

RH45 wrote:
The guy borrowed some brass base shells and didn't have any more issues.

I might be wrong here, but I think what you're actually seeing is a brass plating.

The base of the shell is actually steel, I think, and then that has been brass plated.

I've got some Winchester AA hulls around the house. I'll have to take a magnet to them just to confirm.

I have also seen, I think it was an 870 pump gun jam up tighter than a drum. I don't know if it was because it was being fed cheap shells or what??? :unsure: .

As far as what size birdshot goes, I think I have read some other threads here where if guys are having problems with steel falling, like on a Texas star, some guys will have some #4's on their belts that they will stuff in their guns.

I haven't run into any problems using the # 7.5's .

Really, you should go out and pattern your shotgun to see how your particular shells and choke combinations will give you performance wise on paper.

I mean you do sight in your pistols and your rifles (AR's?), right?

O.K. I went downstairs with a magnet and checked the AAs and SPS and they are NON-magnetic, but, I also checked some Federal, field loads that appeared to be brass, and they DO stick to a magnet. :unsure:

Hmm! Must take a lot of rounds to do that. Looks like the shape of the rim has something to do with it. Since the Estate is a little more rounded (even though it's steel and made by Federal) you think it does less damage to the carrier? I shoot a fair amount of Estate, but if I need ammo fast and cheap I run to Wally and get the Federal. My carriers haven't been damaged like that, but then I try to limit my shotgun shooting! (I HATE shotguns!) Well, HATE may be too strong, but I much prefer guns that shoot a single projectile at a time. B)

Hmm! Must take a lot of rounds to do that. Looks like the shape of the rim has something to do with it. Since the Estate is a little more rounded (even though it's steel and made by Federal) you think it does less damage to the carrier? I shoot a fair amount of Estate, but if I need ammo fast and cheap I run to Wally and get the Federal. My carriers haven't been damaged like that, but then I try to limit my shotgun shooting! (I HATE shotguns!) Well, HATE may be too strong, but I much prefer guns that shoot a single projectile at a time. B)

In all probability this damage had been in the making for a long time, but it came to light when I had the jam shown. Even with the damage, the gun would still run most of the time with Estate shells because of the slightly more rounded rim, but Federal hung up every time. After I reprofiled this area with a file, the damaged carrier worked just fine. Still, I replaced it with a new one, which I also profiled on the inside to reduce the chance of shells hanging up there... something another member here recommended. That, and I inspect this area every cleaning to ensure it does not catch me unawares again. Lesson learned.

• 2 years later...