Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bless your heart, as we say down south. I need to, I want to, hopefully someday I'll find the strength to quit. Be strong, stay calm, you are an inspiration to those of us who need to be inspired.

I had 30 years in Bill.... it can be done. ;)

Can't speak to smoking but can to dipping.

My step was simple. 1) I decided I didn't dip anymore. I was never "quitting". One day I did it, one day I didn't. 2) I was prepared with all the hard candy, sunflower seeds, and gum I could handle. More than I needed.

I took the first day off from work.

I don't want to change your level of preparation on this, but for me it was MUCH easier than anticipated. I dipped for 15 years, and nearly every minute I was awake. I thought this would be a terribly difficult thing to do. And it just wasn't. I simply needed to decide I didn't do it anymore.

I'd wish you luck, but you don't need it. Stay strong, don't give in. Don't make smoking more than what it was.

Congrats on not smoking anymore!

Jack

What Jack said!!

Congrates!! I dipped for 19 years and quit cold 1 november 2005. I don't think I will ever be completly cured, there are times I still want it.

Stay strong, it is all in your head.

Good luck and prayers to you man. I quit chewing at 21 because my hot live-in said she didn't like kissing and making out when I tasted like tobacco. That was easy. Hot chick vs. Tobacco?

Quit drinking 5 years, one month and nine days ago. Feel good, think clearly, was hard, but I don't miss it. (It nearly killed me but that is another story) Kids like me alot more, I'm "there" when I'm there.

You will be successful. Just beleive, I know that sounds easy, but really that is what got me over booze. I just beleived and had faith. So far, so good. :)

Have faith, be cool, Jimmy

Smoked for 15 years, quit for 10, started again, smoked for 3 years, and quit for good (I strongly believe) 3 years ago. For me, the key was (is) recognizing nicotine as an addiction, not a habit or something we do "because we like it." Even though, in my mind, I am done with cigarettes for good, there are times when I am tempted (bored, hanging with smokers, stressed, whatever). That's when I have to tell myself that nicotine is a drug, I am a recovering addict to that drug, and I can't slip and "have just one." The desire passes, and does not occur as frequently, but I can never completely forget that it once had me. Although not directly a friend of Bill's I am close to some that are, and think lot of that applies here. Good luck, and for what it's worth, remember that the desire will pass, but the regret for slipping may not. You are doing the right thing, for you.

I didn't want to post until I had a few days under my belt... It's been six since I've had a smoke... long way to go, but it's a start. Prayers and or vibes welcome.

JT

The BEST is yet to come. I smoked for 20 years. Went "cold turkey" about 15 years ago. I never knew how bad I felt until I had quit for 6 weeks.

Good luck!

For me, the key was (is) recognizing nicotine as an addiction, not a habit or something we do "because we like it."

I have to tell myself that nicotine is a drug, I am a recovering addict to that drug, and I can't slip and "have just one."

There it is . . .

Here's what I'm thinking.... I smoked about 5 bucks worth a day. That will have been about 90 days before the Florida open... that's about $450 that covers the match fee and the airfare and some of the motel. :)

I can now go to the Florida Open!! :D

See you guys there. :)

Thanks for all the encouragement.

JT

Edited by JThompson

JT I'm rooting for ya man. I told Susan I'd quit dipping when she got pregnant. My day of pain is coming!

I used to dip when I was a machinist.. they wouldn't let us smoke in the shop so we all took to dipping. There was so much machine smoke and the oil would drip from everything.... it always boggled my mind they were worried about some smoke in that environment.

They had this goofy change here in Il... the changed the paper to something that was "fire safe." All that did is make the cigs taste like crap and little hot ashes flew everywhere. It's ironic that the fire safe cigs are more aped to burn you, your clothes, car than the old cigs. Hey, but on a positive note, they make you cough like crazy and taste like shit. :) Then there is all the places you can't smoke and the attitude from the smoke Nazis.. you know who you are. :(

The bottom line was my health and the money I was spending.

I smoked for 26 years. And it was a money thing with me, I quit when I couldn't afford it any more at 2.00 a pack 11 years ago I was smoking a car payment a month. If you look at it that way it might help. How I did it was on a wednesday I told myself that by the next wednesday I would quit. Last cig. was that wednesday morning, chewed 3 pieces of nicotine gum and never looked back. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Take it from a 2 pack a day smoker. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!

Congratulations as it may be the hardest thing you have ever tried to do. I say tried because I quit almost 30 years ago and I still have dreams of holding a cigarette. Having a goal after smoking is also important but having another goal after that is even more important. Lanny Bassham mentions in his book how let down he was after reaching his goal of a gold medal and how he needed another goal. Money is a starting point with todays cost but the real upside is the health improvement.

Geez, I have 6 days, until I get hitched!!! :surprise:

Before I don't forget in the holiday rush.......Congratulations on the pending event!

:)

[thread drift mode OFF]

Thanks, it is gonna be a fun night, with a warm up party on Wednesday :)

Many years ago, about 30, I got up in the morning, reached for the pack on my nightstand, and decided that I didn't want to anymore. I crushed that pack and then went downstairs and crushed a carton. (Ex-wife was NOT pleased). Anyway, went to work and announced that I was no longer a smoker, many times. We were driving piles that week. I did not dare light up as I think I would have been under a pile, but by the end of the week,I was pretty much OK. Had a one night lapse that year at a Christmas party, but made it and have never looked back.

Congratulations to you JT and welcome to the best of your life.

Jim