Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems in safe area

sperman

Most places I have been have and unload area for people carrying. Probably more prevalent at IDPA matches as it is more common for people to shoot what they carry. (Didnt say common said more common) Or the standard procedure was to find an RO, go downrange on a stage before the match starts and unload under RO supervision. I guess it depends where you are and how common it is for people to be armed.

This rule would apply:

2.5.2 Where no Unloading/Loading station is provided, a competitor who

arrives at a match in possession of a loaded firearm and proceeds

immediately to a match official for the express purpose of safely

unloading the firearm shall not be subject to disqualification per the

provisions of Rule 10.5.13.

:cheers:

I'm confused. Are we talking about a mass produced snap cap, or self made practice ammo without a primer for the purpose of practice? I would think that it would be ok to clear a snap cap out of a pistol in the safe area, the only rule there I'm aware of is no ammunition. Since the snap cap isn't ammunition but a training tool.... I'd think it would be fine? No? Am I wrong? :unsure:

2.4.2 Dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines,

loaded speed loading devices and live rounds must not be handled in a Safety Area under any circumstances

(see Rule 10.5.12).

No reason for using a snap cap in a centerfire pistol anyway.

But the real answer to the question: Calmly go back to your car and take the stupid snap cap out of the gun. Problem solved, and nobody has to pull out the rulebook.

But the real answer to the question: Calmly go back to your car and take the stupid snap cap out of the gun. Problem solved, and nobody has to pull out the rulebook.

And that works right up until the moment someone from the match staff sees you do it....

Find the match director --- it's the right thing to do....