Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me About the Revolver-Shooting Fraternity

JPT

This is a serious question. I have read posts in which wheelgun shooters imply that revolver shooters are a different breed. Having just picked up my first revolver, I wonder what I'm getting into. How would you characterize the revolver-shooting community in the practical shooting sports, and how does is differ from the bottom-feeder USPSA/IDPA types?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a serious question. I have read posts in which wheelgun shooters imply that revolver shooters are a different breed. Having just picked up my first revolver, I wonder what I'm getting into. How would you characterize the revolver-shooting community in the practical shooting sports, and how does is differ from the bottom-feeder USPSA/IDPA types?

Welcome to REVOLVER. This is the MOST SUPPORTIVE group within USPSA. There are also an inordinately high ratio of characters (as you probably know by reading the forums) but they will take in almost anybody (assuming that you can safely handle a gun) and help you excel in shooting that round gun.

Revolver in a USPSA is more of a thinking game than any other division, where learning to read the stage (in 6 vs 8 round segments) and efficiently executing the plan is crucial. You cannot simply engage an array with 8 round, run as fast as you can to the next position while jamming a fresh mag in the gun to engage the next 8. You have to disect the course and decide whether you can engage that extra target or steel from a different position to avoid a standing reload.

Some complain that it's too hard and revert back to their bottom feeder roots. But for those willing to (or crazy enough -- the Character thing again) to stick with it, find it rewarding and fun to out-run/outscore and amaze their fellow shooters using more modern firearms.

So what Revo did you get?

Signed a Lowly C class Lefty Revo shooter

One thing is the dissadvantage of having fewer rounds. Shooting revolver you have more frequent reloads so make your shots count. Shooting both revo and semi I've found shooting revo has helped my accuracy and taught me to slow down and make every hit count. The best way to understand what shooting a revolver is all about is just go out and shoot it, maybe try an ICORE match. What revolver did you end getting?

I found a LNIB 625-3 5" - I should be getting it in a week or so. I also have a line on a 4" 686 that I may pick up for IDPA.

John

Welcome to REVOLVER. This is the MOST SUPPORTIVE group within USPSA. There are also an inordinately high ratio of characters (as you probably know by reading the forums) but they will take in almost anybody (assuming that you can safely handle a gun) and help you excel in shooting that round gun.

Revolver in a USPSA is more of a thinking game than any other division, where learning to read the stage (in 6 vs 8 round segments) and efficiently executing the plan is crucial. You cannot simply engage an array with 8 round, run as fast as you can to the next position while jamming a fresh mag in the gun to engage the next 8. You have to disect the course and decide whether you can engage that extra target or steel from a different position to avoid a standing reload.

Some complain that it's too hard and revert back to their bottom feeder roots. But for those willing to (or crazy enough -- the Character thing again) to stick with it, find it rewarding and fun to out-run/outscore and amaze their fellow shooters using more modern firearms.

So what Revo did you get?

Signed a Lowly C class Lefty Revo shooter

The main thing I've noticed is that revolver shooters, including the notable names, don't take themselves so damn seriously.

H.

Yes, prima donnas are pretty rare in the revolver ranks.

Hey I am a prima donna...Just can't fit in my tutu anymore..( where is that emoticon with the stick trying to get that image out of his minds eye). The people are what makes the revolver gang the best in the shooting community. We will gladly give information on how we are overcomming problems that we have encountered. Even at matches if one finds a better way to engage a stage they will include all to what he or she has come up with to help the rest of the gang regardless if it will possible mean someone else may win the stage. Welcome to ther Revovler Family Bro. later rdd

Shooting a revolver in USPSA/IPSC is living on the edge. You have no margin for making up errors, you simply have to live with them.

Unless a stage is specifically designed to make Lim-10 or Limited shooters run dry, they always have a small price to pay for minor errors. There are no minor errors in Revo. When everyone has 20 rounds to do a stage, there is probably only one best way to do it. Break that stage into six-shot chunks, and you can do it many ways.

So, we do it for the adrenalin rush of six-shot runs on a stage designed for hi-cap. Runs that offer us a multiplicity of ways to achieve an end.

And we do it with a tool many consider unsuited to the task. Liek doing a road rally with a classic car lacking a syncromesh transmission.

Plus, this is a fantastic division in which to show your Dremel prowess, and one of the few that really collaborated on our own rules in the "Blue Book of Happiness".

I haven't found a revo shooter yet that doesn't have a BIG smile at the end of the day (except when the Gods of RoundGuns showed their displeasure for heretical actions the day my Glock blew up- that hurt!); especially when ew beat up on some of the bottom loaders.

I have also yet to see a revolver shooter lose brass unintentionally- them moons and little piles of 6 are pretty easy to find and pick up.

The other thing to consider with a revo in IDPA is that all stages can be thought of as Limited Vickers. Per HQ courses at matches are supposed to be revolver "neutral" which is great but that doesn't help a rushed or botched shot... My moon clip reloads are ok but in no way fast so one has to consider the time penalty for getting a better sight picture and shot break over spraying rounds and having to do multiple reloads.

Revos definitely require thought to be competitive. But they are fun.

Take care,

Dave

...where is that emoticon with the stick...

Does anyone else find it disturbing that Bubber knows what an emoticon is???

I'm not so shocked as I am more than a bit scared. :unsure:

The "stick" is the scary part.

Other than their infantile need to deride other shooting disciplines they are okay. Most of them can even count higher than 6 (all the way to 8).

-ld

And some of us can count to 10 too. :roflol:

I do not deride other shooting disciplines, I believe that if you're not emptying brass and making noise, you're not having fun. :cheers:

Other than their infantile need to deride other shooting disciplines they are okay. Most of them can even count higher than 6 (all the way to 8).

-ld

And some of us can count to 10 too. :roflol:

I do not deride other shooting disciplines, I believe that if you're not emptying brass and making noise, you're not having fun. :cheers:

Yeah I am working on being mediocre at about a half dozen disciplines myself. B)

-ld