Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12 gauge 4 shell stripper-Progressive Macine and tool vs. California c

DMAC

I'm just getting into 3 gun and I want to get a couple 4 shell strippers to start. I don't mind spending more money for something that I will be happy with. For those of you who use them, have you found the PM & T to be significantly better than the California competition works to justify the 2X difference in price? I don't mean to start a bash/fan boy thread, I just want to hear honest opions about the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Progressive Machine Quik Strippers have features that were designed around legitimate needs that the CC did not provide.

The first being that they are adjustable in width for the proper length of shotshell, not all 2 3/4 inch shells are the same length.

Second, they have a spring that provides constant tension, even when they are only partially full, this keeps the rounds from rattling, separating, moving, and falling out while running.

Third, they have a Blade-tech Teklok to secure them to any belt, and give the ability to add or remove them from a rig you are already wearing.

Fourth, they are anodized aluminum and quality machined, not breakable plastic.

If you borrow one of these for five minutes and compare them to the CC, you will likely see the difference, and consider it a long term investment.

Progressive Machine Quik Strippers have features that were designed around legitimate needs that the CC did not provide.

The first being that they are adjustable in width for the proper length of shotshell, not all 2 3/4 inch shells are the same length.

Second, they have a spring that provides constant tension, even when they are only partially full, this keeps the rounds from rattling, separating, moving, and falling out while running.

Third, they have a Blade-tech Teklok to secure them to any belt, and give the ability to add or remove them from a rig you are already wearing.

Fourth, they are anodized aluminum and quality machined, not breakable plastic.

If you borrow one of these for five minutes and compare them to the CC, you will likely see the difference, and consider it a long term investment.

Thanks. This is exactly the info that I was looking for. They should copy your comments and put this info on their website!

Now the rest of the story;

I have had both and yes, the PMTs are better made, no question but,

#1. The PMTs are adjustable, takes some time and for me I didn't like to go to the work between stages since my slugs and shot shells are different length. The CCs come with 2 sizes of spacers and they work for me, take less than 2 seconds with no tools for 3 different sizes of shells!

#2. CCs rely on velcro to retain the shells in the caddy, I have yet to have any fall out so the spring on the PMT is a nice thing but...is it really needed?

#3. The CCs belt retention does suck, it takes about 5 mins to adapt them to the Tech-Lock and is worth the time and about $10 cost on top of the CC cost. When you adapt the Tech-Locks you can also cant the caddys to fit your style of stripping:-) Not sure if you can do this with the PMTs.

#4. I have yet to hear of any brakage on the CCs! Plastic does not rust/oxodize either.

#5. Better get the PMTs fast since the company is out of business!

You make an informed decision but in my kit the CCs are just as good for less money. The PMTs are better made and are solid as a rock. Of course with my whole family shooting the PMTs were out of the question, matches like the Iron-Man where you have to carry 30 rounds for the stage, well, you do the math.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

RLTW,

SGM ® Scott Hawkins

AKA Busyhawk

Yes, PMT has closed its doors, but there are some of the Quik Strippers headed my way, and they will be on the Shooters Connection website as soon as I get them. For now, we are out of stock, and taking pre-orders. All of the parts PMT made will be coming back to the market under a new company name, with the designer of the shooting stuff at the helm. If money is an issue, get the CC, if you want the rock-solid best, then PMT will again be available. BTW, I also used CC for many years, and so did Steve, that is why he designed his quik stripper.

Yes, PMT has closed its doors, but there are some of the Quik Strippers headed my way, and they will be on the Shooters Connection website as soon as I get them. For now, we are out of stock, and taking pre-orders. All of the parts PMT made will be coming back to the market under a new company name, with the designer of the shooting stuff at the helm. If money is an issue, get the CC, if you want the rock-solid best, then PMT will again be available. BTW, I also used CC for many years, and so did Steve, that is why he designed his quik stripper.

This explains why no one answered their phone and when I tried to e-mail them, the server kicked it back as not being a valid e-mail address.

I didn't know that you were associated with Shooters Connection. I'll call later today as I need a bunch of stuff. Three gun is WAY more expensive than archery and bowhunting (my other new hobby).

My experience with both mirrors busyhawks. I would add a couple of things though.

1) the PMT variety is very sturdy, but comes with a price, weight. 4 carriers is pretty heavy on the belt.

2) the spring that holds the shells is a thin razor sharp thing that has cut me several times.

3) CC carriers do let the shells move around when less than full loads are in them, I load 4 at a time so this is rarely an issue. I did see a shooter haul but once and left a trail of shells behind. This can be cured though.

The cc carriers are pretty strong, I have never broke one and they can have a techlock fastener installed.

I told myself I would stay out of this one...but ...I just can't! If you want to go plastic, you CAN NOT BEAT the orriginal Choate Machine Shell CAddy...YES they still make them! The are MADE for 2 3/4" shells not 3" shells like the Cali-Comp jun...ah...er...stuff, they don't requier much of a spacer at all and last and last and last. It is all I have ever run, and I have had them since 95. They have NEVER broke, Split, torn, ripped of the belt ...nothing. No thy don't have Tech-Locks, they have regular belt holders or clip on. I suppose you could add tech locks if you felt you just had to have them, but you sure don't need them, and if you buy them direct they are like $15.00 a holder.

Now if you want the absolute Cadillac of holders you get the Progressive Machine. KurtM

What about the Man Mountain Engineering caddies that CPWSA sells?

They are pretty nice and much lighter on the belt than the PM&T.

You might want to consider them as well.

I started out with CCW and then got the PM&T caddies. Now I've got the MME and wish I could have found these first.

I can also get 7 of these on my belt to where I could only get 6 of the others.

I have the CA comp works caddies and the new Man Mountain Eng caddies.

You can go cheap and buy the CA ones and be unhappy or spend the money and get the Man Mountain and stop worrying.

As far as the CA ones, I threw away the velcro and rubber cemented the spacer in place. I also adjusted the height of the belt clamp to give the springs less tension for a smoother grab. I really don't like the way it clamps onto the belt. Its a pain in the ass when configuring your belt for each stage.

The Man mountain caddies are awesome. They are easy to use, smooth as hell and the top tactical shooters are using them.

I have squaded with both of the guys that make these caddies and recommend giving your business to the Man Mountain guy.

The top tactical shooters use them? Outside of Lord Poofy Hair (I don't really pay any attention to his gear) I have never seen them and I have seen quite a few pictures of top shooters :D . They sound darn good though. How about a link.

Mr. t better have learned how to make a plug, or how to design and have someone make a plug for his shotgun, or he will be in open again this year at Ft. Benning. :roflol:

Seems to me allot of the top shooters put some time in on their gear, and I know quite a few of them design stuff they use, matter of fact Daniel and Robbie at the AMU make a real nice carrier that they use and it isn't very much$$ Maybe one of them can shed some light on their carriers. Thanks for the link D.C.! KurtM

It would appear that Lord PH should listen to many things told to him, or next time he may not have fingers with which to grab shells????????? :surprise:

Many people spend many dollars on equipment that does the same thing as less expensive equipment, so be it,......... but being less expensive does not mean, less worthy!!!!!!

Trapr

Uh, last I checked tac and limited = same shotgun... :unsure:

BTW, I wouldn't turn my nose up at either PMT or ManMountain caddies, but I've not had issues with my Cali-Comp holders, ever. Permantly mounted the spacer and work with both my shot and slug shells. I can buy 2+ of these for what any of the HiTech KoolAid holders cost me. It ain't broke so I ain't fixing it.

Now, if someone has something real to point out about the cheaper shell caddies I'm more than willing to listen...

BTW, is there a link to the AMU made caddies? I for one would like to see them. :cheers:

I've got all the options mentioned here. The PMT's are going to the bottom of my preference list. The big chunk of metal they use for the spring is a pain in the ass and keeps sticking out. I don't think they are any faster than the CA Comp Works or Choate. I've got one of the MME's and I REALLY like it. Very smooth. I'm worried about dropping the shells when running because I haven't tried it yet. I really wish they would put Tek-Loks on the back though. I switch around my 3-Gun gear so much it's not worth threading it on each time.

• 2 years later...

I'm just getting into 3 gun and I want to get a couple 4 shell strippers to start. I don't mind spending more money for something that I will be happy with. For those of you who use them, have you found the PM & T to be significantly better than the California competition works to justify the 2X difference in price? I don't mean to start a bash/fan boy thread, I just want to hear honest opions about the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

wow this thread is really old but here goes, the ccworks 12ga tac strippers are available in 4&6 rd count 3 colors,and 5 mounting solutions, the orig. ss hd spring clip,the GI UM-84 that also take a cover just for the 6 rd,the blade tech tek-lok,the safailand els system, and the G-CODE RTI system. I now also offer a constant tension leaf spring just for the 4 rounders as an option + $6.00 and of course all the variants can be ordered to reto fit early product, the 6 rd backs fit the choate speed strippers. and one last thing that no one else mentioned is the best feature of all, with out the spacers installed they will hold most 223 magazines!!! so it's a better deal all around for novice 3 gunner.

Since you bumped this up…. what do you think would be the best solution to attaching them to MOLLE gear?

I have a nice padded MOLLE belt that I think would make a great dedicated shotgun belt, but I have to attach them somehow. I was looking at Blade-Tech's Molle-Lok's but the idea of spending $70 on those little peaces of plastic is making me cringe.

Edited by cas

I saw a new belt shell holder system at the Nordic match, its the Twins system from Carbon Arms and can carry 8 or 12 in a kind of double belt holder. I watched James Casanova load from them pretty quickly. Here is a link: http://www.carbonarms.us/TWinS-Shotgun-Loading-Systems/Carbon-Arms-TWinS-FSL-12-round-w-Tek-Lok.html

Doug

Since you bumped this up…. what do you think would be the best solution to attaching them to MOLLE gear?

I have a nice padded MOLLE belt that I think would make a great dedicated shotgun belt, but I have to attach them somehow. I was looking at Blade-Tech's Molle-Lok's but the idea of spending $70 on those little peaces of plastic is making me cringe.

the um-84 backs can be attached to pals webbing