Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help Choosing A Gunsmith

jeff89

I am about to have a gun built for me and am trying to decide between haveing Benny Hill or Will O'Hara (A local gunsmith in Corona). I have heard many many great things about both of them and was hopeing that someone out there has had work done by both of them and would be willing to reccommend one. Will is nearby which is an advantage in my book. Thanks!

Jeff

jeff89@earthlink.net

Haven't had work done by either, but having a 'smith close by is a HUGE factor. You can consult by phone or in person and physically check on the work during the process.

It can be sad talkin and slow walkin if your 'smith is across the country and when you get your gun back it isn't even close to what you thought it would be, or wanted.

I say go with the close guy, talent being equal.

Benny isn't your "normal" gunsmith. I've had him work on my guns and have them back within a week. This guy is in the business of making money and his quality ranks #1 in my book, hands down. He doesn't play this "I'm a Superstar Gunsmith, so you'll wait for my services" which is the rampant attitude of alot of top gunsmiths in this sport. I'm a nobody and he treated me as well as a top GM. There are 3 or 4 good gunsmiths in my area, but I send my guns a thouand miles away to Benny because I KNOW my gun will work when I get it back. Hope this helps.

erik and jeff89,

the whole gun runs great. i have a new blaster on the way as we speak. i'll post pictures when i receive it. one more thing about benny's gun, they're ready to rock & roll. no break-in period. i have a open blaster that benny built 3 years ago for me, it is still as tight as the day i got it. one more thing, you will not have to wait a long time for him to finish the gun, except if he is off shooting matches, nationals, etc. :angry:

lynn

p.s. erik, i don't think even you could break his sights! :D:o:ph34r:

What are Benny's trigger jobs like?

Erik,

Benny's trigger on my open gun is smooth as silk, crisp, hardly any take-up. It's a real pleasure to shoot.

Did I mention my open gun is really pretty, too?

Liota

Erik, I requested from Benny a 2.5# trigger on my Limited gun, it's dead on.

This is my first custom 1911, so I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to different triggers, although I think I am experienced enough to say it's a quality trigger job (no shit, some say). It has just the right amount of travel after the break and after the reset.

A local GM dry-fired the gun a few times and said "it's more of an open gun trigger, but it's good".

I didn't know what he meant. He went on to say that there's not alot of spring-feeling (sear spring resistance) before the break. "..When you're banging targets at close range this type of trigger is perfect (open gun hosing)...". This shooter prefers more "feeling" before the shot breaks on a Limited gun.

I don't know if the above description means anything to anybody, if so, and you prefer a more-springy trigger, this can be easily accomplished with some sear spring tweaking.

Benny's trigger to me, feels precise and rock solid. I love it.

Choose Benny. In addition to being a master gunsmith, he's a top level competitor that can understand what you want and build it. Both my open and limited guns are Benny built and they both work flawlessly. He provides quality, speedy service at very reasonable prices. :D

I had a chance to shoot a match with Bob at Brazos. He is an outstanding person, his workmanship is outstanding. I would not hesitate to send him work.

I hear the same things about Benny. Lecks also get alot of postive comments for their guns. As does Dave Dawson.

If turnaround time is a concern you might want to call them and talk with them about your needs and expectations.

I tend to use folks near where am I living. When I was in NE I used Cylinder and Slide. I was completely satisified with their work. There is a lot to be said about being able to deal with a person face to face. I put a lot of value in gettting to know a gunsmith personally. If Brazos is nearby I would choose them solely because in the realm of outstanding gunsmiths in TX, I have gotten to know him personally. You probably can not go wrong with the others, the pesonal knowledge is what differeniated Bob from the rest.

good luck making such a hard choice! :D

I had a chance to shoot a match with Bob at Brazos.  He is an outstanding person, his workmanship is outstanding.  I would not hesitate to send him work. 

I hear the same things about Benny.  Lecks also get alot of postive comments for their guns.  As does Dave Dawson.

If turnaround time is a concern you might want to call them and talk with them about your needs and expectations.

I tend to use folks near where am I living.  When I was in NE I used Cylinder and Slide.  I was completely satisified with their work.  There is a lot to be said about being able to deal with a person face to face.  I put a lot of value in gettting to know a gunsmith personally.  If Brazos is nearby I would choose them solely because in the realm of outstanding gunsmiths in TX, I have gotten to know him personally.  You probably can not go wrong with the others, the pesonal knowledge is what differeniated Bob from the rest.

good luck making such a hard choice! :D

Some "knowledge" can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Leck's Guns is not a custom gun shop but a shooter supply store (including STI firearms).

IMHO, Proximity is never the best method of choosing a gunsmith

And note that there's talent and "Talent" with a capital T for IPSC work. There are a only handful of gunsmiths in the second category. But, if what you want done doesn't require that level of work (fitting a new safety or something pretty straightforward), you can easily use a good local smith and save on shipping, plus get the "instant availability" of a local (because we all know parts always choose the Friday night before a big match to break). Full-on Open gun, definately go to a capital-T 'smith.

Having no kids, no pets, and a wife whose attitude toward new guns can best be expressed as "...OK then, and where is mine?" instead of "...no, that is too expensive," I'll throw my worthless two cents in the ring here.

I have a Wilson CQB, two Cylinder and Slide custom built (from the frames up, not from complete guns) Para P14's, and a whole host of "local smith" competition pistols. They all live in the safe. I've messed with EGW, Brazos, factory STI, Clark, and factory SV guns.

I don't own any of those.

My competition and carry guns are all Benny guns...two Open, one Limited, one Commander-sized toting around gun. Good enough to compete with, good enough to trust my life to.

I vote with my dollars ;)

Alex

Having no kids, no pets, and a wife whose attitude toward new guns can best be expressed as "...OK then, and where is mine?" instead of "...no, that is too expensive," I'll throw my worthless two cents in the ring here.

I have a Wilson CQB, two Cylinder and Slide custom built (from the frames up, not from complete guns) Para P14's, and a whole host of "local smith" competition pistols.  They all live in the safe.  I've messed with EGW, Brazos, factory STI, Clark, and factory SV guns.

I don't own any of those.

My competition and carry guns are all Benny guns...two Open, one Limited, one Commander-sized toting around gun.  Good enough to compete with, good enough to trust my life to.

I vote with my dollars  ;)

Alex

I can't very well say they're too expensive. I benefit. :P That and Benny's prices are extremely reasonable for what you get in return. ;)

Reneet,

Michael Leck does some gunsmithing. I am not sure whether he does building, but I do know he does some work.

Liota

Well, Benny seems to be the winner in this group, and I may have him do a fat free gun for me in a year or so, but right now Will O’Hara is building me an open gun. I know lots of people who shoot at Norco, and around southern California who are shooting Will's guns I've shot quit a few, and put my money where I was comfortable.

After getting it working Will has fixed my single stake on the spot Saturday after a match ready to go Sunday, and I've watched him do the same tweaking to buddies guns in a similar manner. Yeah you have to wait a while, because he has six months worth of work in front of him, and you want a trigger job he doesn't put you at the end of the list, but works you in to a flexible schedule to get small bread an butter repairs out of the way. He only does 1911's (and the rare S&W revolver) and has been doing it for twenty years the dude knows his stuff.

Ask around locally too, find out whom those guys would have built a pistol I did, and most said Will. Do not count out Jvdynamics, Jojo and Jimmy have also built a bunch of local guns, and they seem to work, and less lead-time.

I have known Benny for years and use him when I can. I switched to a Glock a couple of years ago, and had him fit the barrel. He does great trigger work, and has gotten my 1911 guns to work. I recently picked up an STI and will be having him do a trigger job soon. Any problems I have had in the past with any gun the repairs were usually done the same day.

I have watched alot of guns built by other smiths over the years and would have to put his right at the top. His main advantage is your wait time is days not months. When I get ready to have one built he will be the guy to do it.

Mike

Jeff89,

I too live in SoCal. I have had Will work on several of my guns including my open steel challenge STI. He does very good work. lead times are conservative and has alway been done on or ahead of when he said he would. As far a function, they work. I have not had him fit a barrel, I use Irv Stone @ Barsto Precision for that, but I do like Will's trigger work.

It is very nice to have a local smith that you can run over to and have someting looked at or inspected. Will is great for that. I have seen some guns he has built from the ground up for some world class shooters and they are very nice.

All that being said, I seems from the posts here that Benny does some top notch work. Do not discount a smith just becasue they are not in your backyard. I have seen Dawson and EGW guns that ran perfect and look great too.