Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how deep to seat primers?

I have a 550 and it seats the primers even with the case rim. My new (used) 1050 seats the primers on my 38 special brass deep and they are not level with the case head as in the 550.

Is there a problem with seating them very deep?

Randy

You need to quantify deep, my RCBS hand tool seats primers .010-.013 below the case head. When I get wimpy and they get flush I start getting misfires that work the second time.

.015 is what they are seating on .38special brass. I was able to find another thread in the beginner forum and will either leave them that deep or try to adjust the 1050 I am loading them on.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy, you CAN seat them too deep, but it doesnt sound like you are. With Revo primers and lightened actions you should just see a slight mark in the center, as you are pre-crushing the primer. For all other primers they need to be below flush and you should be able to feel a difference in the case head and the depth of the primer when you run your finger over it.

Hope this helps,

DougC

Randy, you CAN seat them too deep, but it doesnt sound like you are. With Revo primers and lightened actions you should just see a slight mark in the center, as you are pre-crushing the primer. For all other primers they need to be below flush and you should be able to feel a difference in the case head and the depth of the primer when you run your finger over it.

Hope this helps,

DougC

+1.

be

.013-.015 sounds a bit deep, you may be slightly crushing the primer. measured some of my pistol and 223 brass, deepest was .010 (9mm & 223) and shallowest was .005 (40cal). You will also get a lot of variety between different primer manufacturers because they arn't all made exactly the same height. Also slight differences between differnent brass manufacturers. My rule of thumb is to check primer seating if changing lots or brands or brass... haven't had a misfire caused by a "high" primer yet... (insert "knock on knobby head" emoticon here...) Measeure the cup depth, measure the primer, insert primer, check difference...

push em in until they are bottomed out was always my goal, that way you know when the firing pin hits them they will go bang.

jj

The goal when seating primer is to have the anvil legs against the bottom of the primer pocket. With normal tolerances this normally has the primer 0.003" to 0.005" below flush with the case.

Guy

Perfectly said. Thanks Guy.

be

• 1 month later...

I have a 550B and I am having primer depth issues using fed primers with blazer and winchester 9mm once fired brass. I am getting a lot of .0005 and couple .001 to .0015, and finally I got 3 at .002. Most stayed flush to .0005. The shell plate is tight as I can go and turn it comfortably. I guess the goal is .003. What other things can I do to adjust the seating depth of the primers other than tightening the shell plate to the point were you can't turn it hardly? I had this setup before years ago and only loaded 45 acp then and had no issues. I do push the lever forward fars it will go and i know the issue is with this press setup. I pressed the same primed brass 3 to 4 times each and still got the same readings afterwards. I guess the .002 is by luck as they were not that in the beginning few tries. Its not deep enough for my liking even by touch.

Edited by bravo2

I am having primer depth issues with blazer and winchester 9mm once fired brass. I am getting a lot of .0005 and couple .001 to .0015, and finally I got 3 at .002. Most stayed flush to .0005. The shell plate is tight as I can go and turn it comfortably. I guess the goal is .003. What other things can I do to adjust the seating depth of the primers other than tightening the shell plate to the point were you can't turn it hardly?

What kind of press are you using?

guy neil and riggerjj are speaking the gospel. Seat till they are fully against the bottom of the pocket, not much more, no less. a small amount of pre-crush is ok, a gap under the primer in the pocket is not. measurement is not as good as feel for this and feel is only acquired by experience on each and every press.

I should probably be emabrrased to ask this but how do you measure the depth of your primers?

I use the bottome end of my digital caliper gauge. Its frankford arsenal. All calipers like this one will do it.

The problem last night is tad different I am getting seating depth changing some instead of the 5 to 7 thousandths change it was greater. I am getting 1.150 goal up to as much as 1.162. I have not gotten highter than 1.155 or 6 until last night, weird. I did notice some variation in the bullets by couple thousanths or so.

The primers though it did same thing I got very little flush ones, few were .0015 and some were .0025 or .003. Most were .005 but the weird part is i got some in the .006-.007 and 8. First time i got some that deep while seating this up. i never had this much inconsistancy in my old press and checked out everything I could and don't know why this is doing it unless its just the mixed brass. They even varied in same manufacture also.

My load was seat for 3.6 titegroup with 147 gr west coast bullets and told to use 1.150 col.

Edited by bravo2

I measured mine just now and with new once shot it's around .005 or so, but with the tired stuff I'm shooting it's just comes flush. :o

Are you cleaning out the primer pockets on the "tired" brass? Or do they just spend some time in the vib cleaner?

I measured mine just now and with new once shot it's around .005 or so, but with the tired stuff I'm shooting it's just comes flush. :o

Are you cleaning out the primer pockets on the "tired" brass? Or do they just spend some time in the vib cleaner?

Nothing extra...

Primer seating is a feel thing, even on a progressive. If it feels good, do it LOL

Seriously though, the right amount of anvil crush is an acquired feel, not a measured commodity. The shape of the bottom of the pocket can change the depth measurement to fully seated yet still provide the right crush if you go with the flow instead of requiring a constant ;)

For rifle loading, I always ream the primer pockets to insure uniformity there. The best thing this provides is a very consistent primer seating "feel" that I consider well worth the price of admission.

Beyond the obvious --- checking for shell plate and primer punch adjustments --- you really have nothing to adjust on a 550. The only Dillon press to offer primer depth adjustments is the 1050....

I don't sweat the primer depth issue much on a 650 --- other than the very occasional raised primer. If they're flush/just below flush, they ignite in my guns....