Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying Delta with guns

They seem to have a decent firearms policy, except only 11lbs of ammunition. Anyone know how sticky they are on this or can I stick some in the wifes baggage and make the weight requirement each?

Sure can!

11 lbs. per person.

I'll take a bicycle before I fly Delta again and I am not kidding, they left me stranded in St Louis for 8-9 hours and sent 3 planes out to my destination with empty seats on them during that time. I told them then that I would tell anyone and everyone that would listen how I was treated, here I am holding up my end. I will never ride another Delta flight.

Keep in mind that damn near all the airlines now have a 50lb weight limit on checked bags. Overweight and extra bags are VERY expensive. Most suitcases are at least 8 lbs. Figure a gun and case is another 4 lbs. Hope you wear really light clothes.

I have flown a few airlines with firearms for schools/competitions.

Southwest was the best experience.

Delta second.

Both it was no hassle really ...With Southwest if the bags went overweight I showed them my dept ID and explained it was for a sniper school and they waived the extra bag and overweight fees.

Unk how they are with civilian overweight bags.

Can you ship the ammo to yourself at your destination?

Might be a better option...find out what the fees are for overweight bags and maybe its more cost effective to put it in a flat rate box and ship it to yourself.

Both airlines had varying methods of dealing with the cased rifle.

One check in lady wanted it opened up and when I did you could hear the audible gasps behind me "Oh my GOD! Honey that man has a GUN in that case!" ( I had told this guy I was in a band and the case had my cello in it. I was joking because I had all kinds of stickers all over the pelican case that anyone would know it had a rifle in it)

This lady went through the case looking for live ammo then had me fill out the card saying the case held an unloaded firearm and then had me lock it INSIDE the case.

On the way back the check in guy almost fainted when I started to open the case. He stopped me and when I asked him if he wanted to check inside he said "NO! I don't want to see whats in there!" Then I asked how I would get the card inside the case if he would not let me open it. He thought about this for a few seconds and then told me to open the case but "Only enough to get the card in then close it right away!"

Weird.

I could have had a nuclear warhead inside the case and he could have cared less. He was more afraid of the thought of having to look at a firearm.

Good luck.

JK

I always fly Delta, but I also always ship my ammo because of the aforementioned weigh limitation. My overweight bag out of Tulsa cost me $90. :P Sometimes they ask me whether I have ammo, usually they don't. Only once have they sent me to a TSA agent to actually look at my gun, that was in St Louis. Sometimes they ask me to stand by while they x-ray the bag, then they send me along. But the gun has never been a problem.

I'm with HSMITH.I'll take the train before I fly Delta.Don't even try to go through SLC without a lock on your shotgun case.They held mine for me until I came back through SLC on my return trip.

Bubba

I didn't have any problems flying Delta for the nationals. On the way back when I check my bags and guns the agent asked me if they were clean? I said hell no, I just shot the nationals, but they are unloaded B)

I flew Delta to and from Tulsa as well. I had no problems with my guns at all. They also never asked me about ammo weight although I was under the 11 pound limit anyway. I shipped the rest to the hotel via UPS which was relatively inexpensive. That way I didn't have all my eggs in one basket.

I think I spent an extra 5 minutes at most during the check in process. There really isn't much of an issue as long as you follow the rules.

Ok thanks everyone, I think we'll pack some ammo in each bag and see what happens. Everything else is in order and the flight was pretty inexpensive so hopefully no issues. We leave tomorrow with a 4 hour layover in Atlanta before getting to Las Vegas. I'll be taking the laptop so I'll let you know how it goes...

Itasca Air. Flys about 65MPH at an altitude of 0 feet. Makes stops along the way when ever and wherever the pilot or passengers wish. Virtually no weight limit or baggage limits. Admittedly it takes a bit longer to get to your destination at times, but is as much as 1/3 the cost of airfare, rental car, hotles and food.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, everything went well. The ride into JFK on the way back and the small connecting jet to Buffalo had a bit of turbulence....ok so I was one of the few not losing their in flight meal..lol...I've had rougher (CH-47 anyone?)

The only real hitch is that my gun bag with all my gear (minus gun) did not make the connectiong flight and they are delivering it...minor issue...not sure how the border will deal with Delta bringing my ammo and gun parts back, don't think it will be a problem, the gun made it with me and all paperwork is in order, I might just have to drive to the border to pick up the stuff, oh well, we were really lucky to make the connecting flight anyways due to the bad weather causing delays with our landing, I kinda expected nothing would make it on the plane, so only one missing isn't that bad.

The only real hitch is that my gun bag with all my gear (minus gun) did not make the connectiong flight and they are delivering it...minor issue...not sure how the border will deal with Delta bringing my ammo and gun parts back, don't think it will be a problem, the gun made it with me and all paperwork is in order, I might just have to drive to the border to pick up the stuff, ...

The airlines have some ways to get around the system for lost bags. Long ago American sent a box of Glocks to Tokyo without me and they came back a few days later with lots of new stickers on the case.

Just got the bag delivered from Delta, everything is fine. It was delayed a bit because Delta told customs that there was a firearm in it (I had told them ammunition and parts) so when customs couldn't find a gun in the bag....

Customs called and once I explained that I had the gun and that only ammo and mags/parts were in the bag, everyone was happy and the bag was sent forthwith.