Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using a JPoint?

BTW, Trijicon has just come out with their RedDot - which is the exact same unit as the JPoint. According to the folks at Trijicon, whether you call it the TASCO Optima or JPoint or Trijicon RedDot, these sights have always been made by the same company in England, just sold under different names here in the U.S. In my - admittedly limited - Internet research, the Trijicon RedDot seems to sell for a bit less than the JPoint.

If I could get a mount like the JP mount for S&W revolvers. I would definitely give my Burris Fast Fire a try.

I've researched this some. Burris Fast Fire and Docters go on the same mount. This adapter: http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/catego...6cyymm&GID= allows you to mount them on a JPoint mount. JPoint seems to be THE mount to use (on a S&W revolver).

So we still have the same question, Who's using/used one and how do you like it?

Edited by Tom E

i have 2 of these sights made under different name brands. in my opinion they seem to have a lot of paralax and are not much advantage over iron sights. they offer a very small field of view to find the dot- meaning it is very easy to loose the dot. i have shot the optima, cmore and aimpont on my revo and have found the aimpoint to be much faster than the other units. it is far faster to find the dot on the draw and after reloading in the tube style sights. i have used the cmore for 10 years and am making the switch back to the aimpoint for this reason.

just my findings

Scott Shepherd

Edited by scottyinAZ

I had an Optima on an open Glock but the lens is so dinged up from brass strikes that I ordered a Burris Fastfire for the glass lens but their mount for all Glock models did not consider that someone might be stupid enough to put it on a large frame Glock. I am still waiting for their response about a large frame mount.

The primary problem with the Optima was loosing the dot during recoil and having to wait for the body to return the gun after recoil so splits were not any faster than iron sights.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well for better or worse I am going to give it a try.

This is a Burris Fastfire with a JP mount and Arrendondo adapter.

I decided to give it a try after looking at one at SHOT.

I just got it set up yesterday evening so I have not had time to shoot it.

post-11104-1232808452_thumb.jpg

The biggest loser thing about a J-Point/Optima is the dot brightness. When the mfgr. recommended single 2032 battery is used, losing the dot can easily happen in daylight. Use a pair of 2016 batteries to double the voltage and you double the dot brightness too.

I use a JPoint on my .223 rifle with a Matt Burkett mount off to the side. Imagine having a 4X Trijicon scope on the top for distance and the small JPoint just off to the side for anything within about 50 yards. I am a police officer and this system is on my patrol rifle. SWEET! The JPoint is small and not heavy ... it works.

The biggest loser thing about a J-Point/Optima is the dot brightness. When the mfgr. recommended single 2032 battery is used, losing the dot can easily happen in daylight. Use a pair of 2016 batteries to double the voltage and you double the dot brightness too.

Will that work with the Burris as well?

Does the extra voltage cause any problems?

I have a 7 minute J Point on my 627 38 super. It works fine and the dot is easy to locate. I will probably change it to a C-More since all my other guns have C-mores and that is what I am use to.

I shot it today. I like it so far.

This is the first time I have really got serious about any kind of dot sight.

I was a little worried about losing the dot during recoil but I didn't have any problem today.

Will that work with the Burris as well?

Does the extra voltage cause any problems?

Don't know. Typically some extra voltage is OK in many electronic sights, BUT, if you exceed the maximum voltage specifications of the LED in use it will burn out :-(

Hi Tom....

I tried one, and loved the height, but I struggled with brightness on sunny days. I regularly run a 2min dot in my CMore, so size was not the issue, the issue was when shooting into, or towards the sun, I couldn't get a clear enough, quick sight picture.

Regards

Mark

• 5 weeks later...
After about 200 rounds I noticed the lenses is cracking on my Burris

Maybe (for once) I did the right thing buying another C-More.

I have had a Burris Fastfire on my 40 STI for about a year now. Several thousand rounds no problems. I have heard of 2 shooters having problems with the Burris. One just quit working, the other was dropped and the lens shattered. Burris replaced both. They have had good luck with the replacements.

How do you like it? 3.5 or 7 min dot? Burris Fast Fire or Docters? I'm tempted by the small, low profile, close to iron sights height, red dots instead of a C-More. Thx.

I have switched from cmore to Jpoint and here is my feedback:

1) bigger field of view but lense is made of PLASTIC?

2) dot would shutdown and found that its a contact problem

I put 5 noshoot tape on the mount to shim it..PROBLEM SOLVED!

3) You must use 8moa only or you wil loose the dot on sunlight.

4) For brighter dot, use cr 2016.

5) Mount the dot as low as possible by doing custom work on the mount by your smith.

use JV mount or arredondo.

6) Always have a backup sight with you and plenty of batterries.

STAY TUNED FOR ///ECB SIGHTZ..COMMING SOON!!

Will have 8 moa and glass window and parallax free..

Got my Burris fastfire back and on my gun this week. Went out and shot it a good bit this morning in the rain and snow.

So far so good no cracked lense. And shot it very well.

Was shooting steel with it today (Round About) because it was the easiest to set up with the damn rain and snow. Running low to mid 2's with it.

But then did some double tap runs on 4 plates I was double tapping the 4 corner plates in the low 3's