Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which brand bushing barrel for a 6"?

Resjudicata

Okay, I really did seach for this. It may be located in a thread that I missed so if that is the case please let me know.

I have a 6" slide coming and want to use a .40 bushing barrel to fit into it for my limited gun. Schueman sells one but I can't find any others. Anybody know who else sells a 6" .40 bushing barrel?

I'd also like to know what brand 6" barrel the big gunsmiths use and why.

Chris

I'm pretty sure KKM sells 6" barrels and I'd be really surprised if Bar-Sto and a couple of the others didn't as well. I'd still opt for a Schuemann based upon comments from a couple of top gunsmiths. They've told me that they can fit a Schuemann easier and quicker than the other top brands so that while you pay a bit more for them, you save on their time fitting them, which makes it a wash as far as cost. I've been really impressed with the accuracy I'm getting out of my newest gun with a Schuemann Classic AET and I have another Classic AET that's going in my single stack when I get the chance to send it off to my smith.

I looked at Schueman's website and read up about the AET barrel. I didn't see it on their website but I think I remember someone saying that you can't shoot lead out of an AET barrel. Is that right or am I remembering wrong?

Chris

ETA-looks like the Bar Sto and Schueman AET are about the same price and the KKM is about $200. I know Schueman is a high quality barrel but is there any reason to pay for the AET over the standard Schueman that is about the same price as the KKM?

Keep in mind we are talking about a 6" bushing barrel in case that makes a difference.

Edited by Resjudicata

Hello: Use the Schuemann Classic 6" bushing barrel. They take less time to fit and the finish is excellent. My 6" barrel shoots way better than I do and is actually a fairly fast barrel. I use Precision bullets in mine and it cleans up real fast. Thanks, Eric

I looked at Schueman's website and read up about the AET barrel. I didn't see it on their website but I think I remember someone saying that you can't shoot lead out of an AET barrel. Is that right or am I remembering wrong?

Chris

ETA-looks like the Bar Sto and Schueman AET are about the same price and the KKM is about $200. I know Schueman is a high quality barrel but is there any reason to pay for the AET over the standard Schueman that is about the same price as the KKM?

Keep in mind we are talking about a 6" bushing barrel in case that makes a difference.

I know for a fact that Wil Schuemann shoots lead out of his guns with AET's with no issues.

The AET's don't tend to like plated bullets, but other than that I think they're the way to go. I can't recall who did it, but someone was doing a test using a test barrel fixture to compare top barrels and the only barrels the testers could manage 1" groups at 50yds was a Schuemann AET. Someone mentioned it in a thread I started a while back and I'll see if I can find it and post the link. R,

Found it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=672537

Edited by G-ManBart

I put a Schuemann classic in mine and it shoots great. It is a slow barrel, no faster than my 5" guns and up to 60 fps slower than a couple otherwise identical 6" barrels around here but it really shoots and that is all that matters. I'd use a KKM in a heartbeat if I couldn't get a Schuemann, the Schuemann fits up so much easier I use them almost exclusively. The KKM's I have used have all shot extremely well, I use one in my Open gun and have one for the single stack I hope to have time to build this winter.

My 6" F.F. had a Nowlin in it, It now has a Schuemann. I think it was the very first Fat Free 3" before it was rebarreled :roflol: . I will say this the Nowlin was more accurate, but the Schuemann doesn't have 1000 rounds through it yet. I also have a 6" Clark barrel that seems to be more accurate as well. How much?? Just a bit, but it is something to think about. Clark and Nowlin make great barrels as does KKM, So does Schuemann...so pick your poision...it,s all good! KurtM

I put a Schuemann in my 5" single stack and it's the most accurate pistol I've shot. Velocity is "normal".

For my 6" I used an STI. It takes a bit more to fit but I was on a budget. Turned out to be accurate enough for my needs.

I too thought that you couldn't (shouldn't) shoot lead through an AET otherwise I would have saved up for it. I shot lead at the time so that was a deal breaker.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an email in to Schuemann about this and waiting to hear back.

But, does anyone know if they still make a 6" AET 40S&W with a Wilson lower lug? SSI lists a standard classic 6" barrel with a Wilson lug but it is out of stock. I really don't want to have my frame machined for a Para lug.

Chris