Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size dot do you use?

Shay1911

I have an older Docter sight on my open gun. It is getting quite fuzzy, more of a cloud. At 50 feet, it almost covers the head of an IPSC target.

It has worked for close up open targets, till our stage designer threw in some 40 yard plates. I couldn't tell where the plates were inside my dot, covered them completely.

I need to get it rebuilt, to get rid of the cloud shape. I have an option of changing the dot size as well, so trying to figure out what I want to go with for the perfect balance.

Any advice?

Edited by Shay1911

I have both 6moa and 8moa on my C-Mores. When I hold them up to a target I don't see a whole lot of difference, but the 8moa is much brighter and just that much easier to pick up...I'd love to try a 10moa, but I don't think they make one. R,

Earlier this year I saw a few stages that really concentrated on accuracy so switched from 12 MOA dot back down to 8 MOA dot. It helped with the accuracy but I've found the dot is not quite as bright and a little harder for me to pick up quickly.

At indoor matches a 8 MOA dot is just fine, but take it outside on a nice Texas day and its just not bright enough.

Now I'm back on the 12.

Please note, my old eyes require the brighter dot. I guess I get to keep shooting as long as C-More keeps making larger dots.

Bill

I have a 6 in one and an 8 in the other. The 6 is good indoors and most of the time it's ok outdoors but it was just miserable to shoot the last couple stages at Area 5 when the sun came out and was right behind me. It just wasn't there. The 8 is much better for those times when I'm facing into the sun or it's at my back but I think a 10 might be better yet in those conditions.

I have 6's, 8's and 12's (had a 16, mondo pumpkin, ditched it) in C-mores, plus 3's. 8's, 10's and 15's in Aimpoints. I like the 12's for speed, but I tend to get sloppy on shot calls with it. Not a big deal at a hoser match, but less good at something like the last US Nationals. 6's are great for accuracy, but tougher for me to call the little jerked and yanked shots with. They also eat batteries faster since they need to be turned up more. I'll probably run an 8 at the World Shoot.

But.. I've also had C-more dots that were wildly different sizes than what they claimed to be, so don't necessarily go with what's on the package..

I run 6's in all of my C-Mores and love them. I have yet to see a Doctor or a J-Point or an Optima that was anywhere near as bright, and with the tiny lens I just would not run one. I have not had a weather condition that a C-more with a 6 and good batteries wasn't there yet, and batteries don't cost a lot if you buy bulk.....

Thanks for the help people!

I contacted docterusa and they want $185 to rebuild my sight. I am not sure how good it will be after they are done with it, as in if it will ever be a perfect round dot. Anyone with experience there?

My debate now is whether to spend the money on fixing the Docter or just buying a new C-more, about the same money.

I wish someone would make a dot like the EoTech, a 65MOA circle and 1MOA dot in the middle.

3.5 or 4 MOA in Jpoints (2) and DrDot (1)......I have tried C-mores with 8, 10, and 12 and hated them. I am so used to working with a small dot that I found anything larger than 6MOA is too big, obscures too much target, and makes it very hard for me to call my shots

Earlier this year I saw a few stages that really concentrated on accuracy so switched from 12 MOA dot back down to 8 MOA dot. It helped with the accuracy but I've found the dot is not quite as bright and a little harder for me to pick up quickly.

At indoor matches a 8 MOA dot is just fine, but take it outside on a nice Texas day and its just not bright enough.

Now I'm back on the 12.

Please note, my old eyes require the brighter dot. I guess I get to keep shooting as long as C-More keeps making larger dots.

Bill

That's one of the reasons I use a 10 MOA Aimpoint.....

Super bright dot!

Marty

A-7424

Thanks for the help people!

I contacted docterusa and they want $185 to rebuild my sight. I am not sure how good it will be after they are done with it, as in if it will ever be a perfect round dot. Anyone with experience there?

My debate now is whether to spend the money on fixing the Docter or just buying a new C-more, about the same money.

I wish someone would make a dot like the EoTech, a 65MOA circle and 1MOA dot in the middle.

If Dean is doing the same mods as Beven did to mine, you will be quite happy. I have a pair of 7 MOA Dr. and they have been fine in stages where the C-More users were bitching about washout. They are very bright with a single 2032 battery and the automatic brightness works great. If the dot is getting funny shaped, it is either dirty or something. Do other dots look clear to you? When I first got into this I though that they all looked crappy until I realized it was my astigmatism and a bit of a double image from some cornea damage that was messing things up.

Later,

Chuck

I really like the 12min dot in my cmore. The bigger dot won't starburst like my smaller dots. When shooting groups, I can turn the dot down enough to actually see through it and shoot a paster at 25yards.

I really like the 12min dot in my cmore. The bigger dot won't starburst like my smaller dots. When shooting groups, I can turn the dot down enough to actually see through it and shoot a paster at 25yards.

I tried this yesterday with my 12 min dot. What was neat is when turned down my dot has a dead spot in the center making it a donut. Works real nice on some of the longer targets.

Bill

• 2 years later...

6 and 8 dots are what I prefer... That allows you to have a large enough dot to see against different backgrounds as well as sun and not to big to cover up targets for percision shots...