Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was at 43, and stopped shooting indoors. It has steadily gone down to 14 at last count. I haven't really changed my outdoor sessions other than to carry wipes for the end of the day. Reloading, I use latex gloves (do NOT buy the ones at the hardware store, go to the drugstore. Major quality difference.)

Also, something that might not occur to most of you, have your carpets cleaned. You've likely tracked a ton of lead dust in, and going around barefoot will eventually get it into your system.

H.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the high teens and climbing a few years ago working in an indoor range. The prior rangemaster had a seriously high count. We had changed over to lead free frangible in the range and my numbers were still climbing. Then I asked about changing the solvent in the cleaning tank we used. Who knew the solvent was supposed to be clear not black? Also read solvent aids in the absorption of lead. Changed the solvent and kept it changed regularly and numbers went down and stayed down.

I guess I've been doing everything right. Jim's post made me think to get mine checked at my yearly physical last month.

Told the doc... I think I should get a lead level check... he said, "huh?" When I told him that I load my own lead bullets and do a fair amount of indoor shooting with them, he agreed and ordered it up.

When I went for the draw, the poor girl that does the blood draw didn't know what to do. She said "we don't usually do these on adults, just kids. I have to call the lab and see if we do it the same." 20 minutes later, she figured it out and did the draw.

A few days later, got the results... turns out I must be doing something right. Came back at 3

Whoohooo.....

I personally thanked the board for putting the kick ass air exchanger in the new range. This thing, when turned on, will cause the front door (in another rooom) to be a PITA to open...)

Frank

A few years ago I was tested and was in the high 50's. Board member KZ-45 and myself started taking Chelation Therapy to reduce the lead content in our bodies. It worked, but I was getting sick for a day or two after the treatment. I took twenty treatments and it dropped my lead content to the low thirties and my cholesterol to 58. The sickness, along with the expense of the treatment caused me to stop taking it. It has been about three years and I need to have it checked again.

At the time I was diagnosed, I was shooting around a 1,000 rounds a week at mostly an indoor range. Cleaning my guns without using gloves and failing to take any other precautions. I do better now, but I guess it is time to get a check up and blood test.

Buddy

Mine tested at 10 a couple weeks ago.

It tested at 35 a few years ago after two seasons of running an indoor league with poor (ok, zero) ventilation. I only shoot indoors a few times a year now and only for brief periods. I tumble and seperate brass out in my workshop and am very careful in general.

I shot my LRN reloads today at my local indoor range where I shoot 2-3 days per WEEK! The lead over titegroup was smokey, but the smoke was YANKED up and away from me by the air sysem in our range.

I emptied 20 rounds down range fast, and the air system sucked out all the smoke pretty quickly. I know they upgraded the system a year back or so, so I'm guessing it's pretty good.

But thanks to this post... wearing latex gloves when I load, and I'll run/inload the polisher in a ventilated area...

I'm in Florida, so I can reload in my garage, with the door open 10 ft away... A nice 75 degree breeze. Come June???

JeffWard

Is there an acceptable lead count?

I haven't been able to shoot since September so I'm not too worried.

But I want to know in case I hit the lottery tomorow night! :roflol:

FM

(These numbers are for people that work with lead, not normal exposure... they recommend 10 for kids 16 and under)

The US Department of Health and Human Services says 25.

OSHA says 40.

The AMA says 20.

My doc says 5.

I think I'll go with what my doc said :cheers:

Frank

QUOTE (gm iprod @ Jan 9 2009, 02:16 AM)

JT,

good going, just stick at it and down it goes. Have you quit the cancer sticks yet?????

Ya. Been a bit over a month....

Have you run out of places to bury the idiots yet?

Damned ground is frozen... I've taken to storing them in the barn until I can dig again. :roflol:

I ran my clubs IPSC division for 16 years. Our indoor range had poor ventilation. I used my lead reading of 32 to force the BOD to install proper ventilation. Once my count came down and with the better ventilation I never had a problem again and I reloaded with cast lead bullets (bought them, not cast them). The vast majority of lead intake is respiratory so proper ventilation is a must. We had OSHA check our range and make recommendations and that was what we had installed. Another source of lead is picking up brass from the floor of an indoor range. If you smoke after picking up brass you are increasing your intake. Do not eat, drink or smoke while on an indoor range and wash your hands thoroughly after shooting.

If you are concerned about lead from handling bullets you can purchase a barrier cream to put on your hands. It is a block from chemical contact. I tried latex gloves and gave up. Once the ventilation was repaired I never had a high lead reading again.

I ran my clubs IPSC division for 16 years. Our indoor range had poor ventilation. I used my lead reading of 32 to force the BOD to install proper ventilation. Once my count came down and with the better ventilation I never had a problem again and I reloaded with cast lead bullets (bought them, not cast them). The vast majority of lead intake is respiratory so proper ventilation is a must. We had OSHA check our range and make recommendations and that was what we had installed. Another source of lead is picking up brass from the floor of an indoor range. If you smoke after picking up brass you are increasing your intake. Do not eat, drink or smoke while on an indoor range and wash your hands thoroughly after shooting.

If you are concerned about lead from handling bullets you can purchase a barrier cream to put on your hands. It is a block from chemical contact. I tried latex gloves and gave up. Once the ventilation was repaired I never had a high lead reading again.

It's the little things that will cause you the most problems. All of the above is excellent advice and common sense that we all need reminding of. Take care around lead. I went for a job involving using large amounts of lead, they test before you are employed (to make sure you can't sue their arses off later) my lead count was a little high but not reportable. I used to race motorcycles, we used very high lead fuel. I did not spend enough time in front of the others, therefore I was inhaling the fumes. This was before I used lead projectiles so I know it was not from shooting. I was tested 6 or soo years ago for insurance and the levels were very low. I don't know th enumbers. This was after casting and reloading large amounts of lead bullets. But I was always careful and rarely shoot indoors and when I do it is in a well ventilated area. I don't recall the numbers, our system here is calculated differently but comes to the same results.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, JT...becuase of this thread I assked to have my lead levels checked when I last went to the doc. Just got off the phone... 40. Up until today, I used to shoot indoors a couple of times per week.

So what are the normal symptoms associated with elevated lead levels? I have heard that short term memory suffers (mine has recently, not sure if I can blame it on the lead or not).

If you are concerned about lead from handling bullets you can purchase a barrier cream to put on your hands. It is a block from chemical contact. I tried latex gloves and gave up.

I'm getting ready to start reloading. Please let me know the name of this cream.

Thanks,

A.T.

Thanks, JT...becuase of this thread I assked to have my lead levels checked when I last went to the doc. Just got off the phone... 40. Up until today, I used to shoot indoors a couple of times per week.

So what are the normal symptoms associated with elevated lead levels? I have heard that short term memory suffers (mine has recently, not sure if I can blame it on the lead or not).

I was getting low level headaches that lasted all day for no reason. I stopped shooting indoors, lead levels went down, and the headaches went away.

Pretty sure that 40 is the levels where Dr's get pretty concerned (officially a poisoning). Look into Chelation if a possibility.

• 3 months later...
I started getting low dull pain headaches all the time. Lead test came back at 21. Was shooting a lot at an indoor range with questionable air circulation. I have stopped shooting at that range since then. I was tested before deploying, but don't know the exact results. It's gotta be below 9 or they would have contacted me for more fricken paperwork. You cannot believe how fast the AF wanted to cover their ass over OSHA etc on this... It was the fastest I've ever seen anyone in the AF move over anything. Ironically, none of what they wanted done was acutally treating me to get the levels down.

So, you can see affects at a much lower level than what you have.

Shooting indoors was about the only thing I changed and it had a drastic impact on lowering my levels. Shooting indoors also seems to be a promanent factor in all of these posts. Newer indoor ranges seem to have better air circulation and less problems with this, but if they are not maintaining it, watch out.

Update, my test from right before I deployed came back at 14. They retested me after the deployment and it was 5.

I thought the weight loss was from the horrible food and Bacterial Dysentary while in Iraq. Guess it was the lead leaching out of me.

• 2 months later...

Update on my lead level...January it was 40, 6 months later it is now down to 25. :)

Previously, I was shooting indoors with poor ventilation about 4 days per week and about 250 rounds each day. I now only shoot indoors once a month where I help run the match. I

I also now make sure to wash my hands after shooting...something else I didn't do before. I've also started wearing latex gloves when sorting brass.

I'll check again in 6 months and report back.

Oh yeah...I was also getting low-grade headaches just before I had it checked the first time. I never get headaches and now that it has gone down, I'm back to not getting them.