Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips

Rolex

Let's see a buck 30 apiece for 100 or a buck 76 for 15. I have heard good things about Rimz but I theought the steel ones were fifty to 75 cents apiece? Others will let me know if I am wrong. later rdd

Gary Cuttitta and I both tried the Rimz clips. They worked fine in Gary's 610 but neither of us could make them "work" in our 625s. We think that the .45 ACP version lacks enough material between the cartridges to hold the cartridges in place or that they aren't made of tough enough material.

We had consistant problems with cartridges falling out when you pulled the moon from a carrier.... or sometimes when you were just trying to load them. All you had to do is barely miss a reload and the damn things would dump rounds everywhere.

We both sent all we had back to Brownells for a refund. I think they are junk.

Edited by MichiganShootist

OK then I should be looking at

either Ranch or Heathco?

Rimz worked great for my 610 but not for my 625. Buy 100 clips from Ranch Products and save some cash. I think they are about $30 but with metal prices they probably went up like everything else. Clips for the 610 were $50 per 100 recently.

I shot my Bullseye 625 gun with RIMZ today, for that game there nice.

They let rounds in and out real easy.

Just like everyone else says, the 610 RIMZ work like a charm, I wouldn't use the 625 RIMZ in competition but they work nice if all you do is plink at the static line. And yep, I did win the Can Nats with em..

I use a pile of old mixed moonclips I've accumulated over 20 years. I suspect most were made by Ranch Products, they were the original manufacturer. I really like the Hearthco clips in my 8-shooters, but I don't think they're necessary for the .45 wheelguns.

If I remember correctly, Vince (Sargenv) uses the rimz clips. He may have even won the Canadian Nationals with them. Maybe he will chime in here...

You so bad Cliffy....

Hearthco...I used them to win Open at the LPR....

michaels

If I remember correctly, Vince (Sargenv) uses the rimz clips. He may have even won the Canadian Nationals with them. Maybe he will chime in here...

You so bad Cliffy....

Hearthco...I used them to win Open at the LPR....

michaels

I wonder why you didn't get to make a speech??

MichaelS,

You are just too much !!! :wacko:

Hearthco, or Ranch ????

MY suggestion............. (remember to look at my tag line)

Buy both, Hearthco for matches that mean something and the other for all other time. :cheers:

Hop

This must be my week to BLUSH!! :wub: Dave

I have used the Rimz before. They work good for first load (625) but I had problems with the rounds coming out of the clip while running stages.

I found the same thing for my 646. For whatever reason 646 steel moonclips were alot more expensive so the Rimz made a significant price difference. They shoot and unload fine. They are also very easy to load rounds and unload brass. But as said trying to do a speed reload isnt gonna work out to well.

I have used the Rimz before. They work good for first load (625) but I had problems with the rounds coming out of the clip while running stages.

I found the same thing for my 646. For whatever reason 646 steel moonclips were alot more expensive so the Rimz made a significant price difference. They shoot and unload fine. They are also very easy to load rounds and unload brass. But as said trying to do a speed reload isnt gonna work out to well.

Same exact experience here with a 646. I'll pass on the Rimz clips. Not a bad concept, just doesn't quite cut it for any kind of serious use.

If the 646 is an L frame, I could see there being the same issue as the 625 moons, just not enough meat to stabilize them, but in the larger N frame, there is ample polymer so they go in smooth. I like the idea of the RIMZ in 45 but not for run and gun type competition. I imagine they'd be ok for the first moon in when you don't want people stepping on your pricey Hearthco moons :D

For the 610, I've been burned one too many times by a just slightly bent but undetectable until under pressure steel moon that completely blew what would have been an excellent classifier. That's when I decided to use only the RIMZ.. You can step on them and they return to normal unlike any of the other moons.

Otherwise I use the Ranch moons that Buffy gave me for my 627PC, and Hearthco Moons for the 38 super 627 I picked up earlier this year.

Let's see a buck 30 apiece for 100 or a buck 76 for 15. I have heard good things about Rimz but I theought the steel ones were fifty to 75 cents apiece? Others will let me know if I am wrong. later rdd

The best source for inexpensive moonclips is Ranch products. Their steel 45 ACP moonclips were ca. $50 per 100. The plastic Rimz clips are fine for target practise not for matches.

I have a pile of steel and got a few Rimz, dumped them as troublesom especially when shooing something like the last two stages of Far & near, no time to have less than rigid moon clips. I use Hearthco for serious matched with my 8 shooter like Carmony. When we shot serious pins at Second Chance there were no Rimz but plenty of excellent steel moon clips for the 25 and now 625 and I am still using them.