Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accupoint TR21 can't get enough eye relief, even with LARUE SPR-

Derek45

I just bought a trijicon Accupoint TR21R and mounted it in my LARUE SPR-E.

I've bought 3 of these SPR-E mounts with excellent results. they really hold zero. :cheers:

With my other scopes, in the 3-3.3" eye relief range, it's perfect,

I've got 20 + years of muscle memory putting my "nose to the charging handle" and I don't want to change.

I tried switching to an A2 buttstock, and moving my cheekweld back, but it feels weird.

the rifle has a JP handguard which is red locktight'ed REAL solid. I just ordered a JP rail to extend it out over the handguard, but I know everyone says it's bad to "bridge the gap" across the receiver and Handguard.

I don't want to put an ARMS, GG&G, or HAHN extended rail because I have other optics that mount perfectly on the receiver with LaRue mounts, and I don't want them up higher.

Any ideas?

Thanks

IMGP5263.jpg

Edited by Derek45

Given your dilemma, how 'bout buying a top rail for the VTAC handguard and mounting your TR21 out there. If you get lucky and the top of the receiver is at the same height as the top rail of the VTAC then you can bridge across.

Rich

I ordered on from brownells yesterday, expect it to ship monday. :cheers:

I hope it's the answer, because I really like the scope.

Try the Yankee Hill Machine mount from Brownells. It puts the end of the Trijicon allmost 4" forward of the charging handle. You can go about .5" beyond that if you want the mount all the way forward on the rail and the scope at the forward ring. It's at least 1.5" forward of your picture. Just checked their website and they now offer a 6" forward mount. I have the older 5".

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/product260.html

Edited by 9x45

Get a Leupold! :ph34r:

Which one?

Which reticle?

:cheers:

mk 4 1.5-5 mrt . I just shot a friend's. Very nice little scope. I think Leupold calls it the special purpose reticle.

+1 on the MRT I love mine...

and have it mounted, with both scope rings,, behind the adjustments, bell.

it works for me and I have shot it from point blank out to 600,,

Jim M ammo

I got a JP top rail today, locktighted it down on the tube. It lined up perfectly with the receiver.

Mounted like this, the eye relief is perfect. :cheers:

I hope this is stable enough, because I really like the scope.

IMGP5390.jpg

IMGP5398.jpg

Edited by Derek45

Ok, don't get a Leupold!

You must be one stock crawling *&%*&%)*($!!!

Kelly,

He said he runs a nose to charging handle cheek weld, and the TR21 does have a lot of eye relief. I ran into the same issue when I had a TR21. I just ran an ARMS super extended rail and medium height Leupold PRW rings. That set up sits a bit lower than the LaRue SPR mount. The LaRue is just a bit too high for my preference.

I'm going to head to the range after work today and try it out.

Yes, I'm a "nose to the charging handle" shooter. At 6'4", maybe my eyes are closer to the scope than some other folks. My wifes says i'm "big headed" B)

Here's a reply, cut & pasted from JP's email....

Here's the bottom line as I see it. The following combination does not work:

That scope and your cheek weld (nose on charger) so you simply need to change something. Nose on the charger is a common technique with iron sights, but if you insist on that technique with a scope, you need one with shorter eye relief like a TA01 ACOG. If your stuck with that scope then you need to change your cheek weld. Bridging the receiver and handguard with the scope mount is a big no no and you will see a greater degradation of accuracy by doing that than you will by changing your cheek weld or scope.

:wacko:

I'm going to head to the range after work today and try it out.

Yes, I'm a "nose to the charging handle" shooter. At 6'4", maybe my eyes are closer to the scope than some other folks. My wifes says i'm "big headed" B)

Here's a reply, cut & pasted from JP's email....

Here's the bottom line as I see it. The following combination does not work:

That scope and your cheek weld (nose on charger) so you simply need to change something. Nose on the charger is a common technique with iron sights, but if you insist on that technique with a scope, you need one with shorter eye relief like a TA01 ACOG. If your stuck with that scope then you need to change your cheek weld. Bridging the receiver and handguard with the scope mount is a big no no and you will see a greater degradation of accuracy by doing that than you will by changing your cheek weld or scope.

:wacko:

Being that the SPR-E isn't rings and you have most of the main body on the recieaver I think you'll be ok. Does the foward locking mechanism lock on the rail or the recieaver?

I recall from another forum that Mark Larue strongly advised against bridging the receiver with one of his mounts. Seeing that you have gotten the same dope from both JP and Larue I would strongly consider looking at other options such as changing your stockweld or trying the ARMS mount with rings as previously suggested.

Another option, albeit not easy or inexpensive would be to consider either a Vltor VIS type upper receiver/rail or the PRI Gen III tube with Rifle Length top rail. This rail mounts to the top of receiver and extends on the tube. Either of these setups would allow you to use the Larue mount with the desired relief however the PRI setup may be too high (and heavy).

Good luck.

JP and Larue seem to be right. Don't bridge the receiver and HG rail.

I experienced horizontal stringing in my groups. When I moved the mount back on the receiver, they tightened right up.

this is how I hold the rifle...

NTTCH.jpg

this is how far back I need to move my cheekrest to get good eye relief.

IMGP5410.jpg

I figure I can either sell the scope and try the BURRIS 1-4XTR or Leupy.

...or I can get an A.R.M.S. extended rail and some rings and keep the TR21R

For those who have used the A.R.M.S. rail, what rings do I need to get? Low, med.?????

thanks to all. :cheers:

arms36s-ex.jpg

I figure I can either sell the scope and try the BURRIS 1-4XTR or Leupy.

...or I can get an A.R.M.S. extended rail and some rings and keep the TR21R

For those who have used the A.R.M.S. rail, what rings do I need to get? Low, med.?????

thanks to all. :cheers:

arms36s-ex.jpg

I have two TR21s and both are mounted on high rings (TPS and Leupold) over the ARMS 36-EX (cut off about 3 inches after finding the forward slot). I am also a nose to charging handle shooter like you, well, not quite severe but still close enough to the handle, and prefer the A1 stock so all my rifles are wearing A1s. One trick I learned with the TR21, its eye relief range is really wide so don't try to get perfect eye relief in low setting, just look for the red/amber glow on the target and fire. The perfect relief is set with scope power at 4x.

With regards to the Burris XTR, its eye relief is almost as long as the TR21. I am using an American Defense extended mount, seemed to work but have not shot it much yet to tell how good it is.

Derek,

I run a cheekweld almost identical to you. When I had a TR21, I used an arms super extended rail with Leupold QRW rings and it worked great. I have one of the Burris XTR 1-4's, and it seems to me to have noticeably less eye relief than the TR21. I've got it in a LaRue SPR-E on a 16" gun and it seems to be working fine.

Is it possible that there might be something wrong with the scope (I'm NOT saying Trijicon is putting out bad gear, but no one bats 1.000)? It looks in your nose-to-handle pic you are right in the 3.4-4.8" eye relief range. In the 2nd pic, it appears you are 6" or more.

Do you have a chance to try another TR21R?

Dave,

I ran into the same issue with every TR21 I've looked through. I doubt there's anything wrong with his scope. The eye relief that the manufacturers list is more of a guide line than anything else. What is actually needed is going to vary based on each individuals eye sight. The way his eyes are working with the scope requires a good amount of eye relief.