Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to increase precision (in EVERY situation) ....

Stefano

Well, my question could been understood as a silly one.

The first answer you can think is:

".. go a little bit slower, call EVERY single shot, don't loose NEVER you front sight ...".

Yes, ... this is easy in theory, but not so during a match, expecially when you are shooting "pushing yourself" a little bit, just to understand if you are ready to gain your next-level ... :rolleyes:

I hope you have understood what I'm trying to say: guys, sorry but my english is not so good ....

Well, in other words my problem is:

" ... how to maintain a good precision when you have increased speed ...".

Of course during training I am working hard only on this point, but I was thinking that probably I need to work with some particular drills, something different from those I am used to work on.

The first "solution" I've have found at the moment is (simply) to increase the difficulty of my targets during training:

more no/shoot targets, half-papers, sized-down plates (I use not steel but paper-plates ...) and more IPSC classic-targets at great distances.

But I feel that most probably I could do something different for having the better results that I'm looking for ...

Guys, do you have some good drills to suggest to me ??

Thanks in advance.

Stefano

Edited by Stefano

You have to get the proper mindset.

It's not about fast or slow. That is a speed focus. Lose it.

It is about vision. "Turn up" your vision. See more.

Reduced times on stages will come from being efficient, not from "going faster".

Yes, probably this is indeed "the" point ....

For what I have understood, even if I haven't a particular focus about speed, my tendency is to go "too-much-freely" without giving to every target the needed respect.

It's something like if my subconscious mind brings too much control over my conscious mind: even if we heard that we must shoot "subconsciously" I think that this isn't always good: one day GG Grauffel (Eric's Dad) has sayed to me:

"... Stefano, you must shoot with your head ! Not with your finger !! ...

I shoot Production, and I know the importance of shooting very good points, but at the moment I am shooting too many deltas and I whant defenetely to improve my points. ...

Stefano,

Next time you are at the range try shooting "smoother" not faster.

Make all your movements smooth, no jerking around or rushing things.

I have found that when I get really smooth it feels (to me) like it takes longer but the timer would have a faster time on it and the timer does not lie.

Try this drill.

First shoot whatever course you want to as fast as you can shoot it.

Use a shot timer when you do this.

Lets say you shoot an El Pres course.

Try for max speed.

Go patch up the target making note of the time and scoring.

Then......with the weapon unloaded .....Try just drawing and presenting on target so there is minimal adjustment.

Do that over and over several times until it feels very smooth.

Then do it again but this time loaded up and shoot the weapon while concentrating on being smooth.

I'll bet your time is close to your first time and your scores are better.

JK

Just don't accept anything but A's. The last match I shot 94.6% of the available target points and my times were competitive, I placed well because of the points. Without points you have nothing. With points you have something, with lots of points in a reasonable amount of time you will be competitive every time.

Do a couple timing drills, time the gun out to .30-35 splits, and DO NOT shoot anything faster in your next match. It will feel like you have ALL DAY to place each shot so place the bullets right on top of each other. Do everything but the shooting at your 'normal' speed. I would bet that you actually increase your placing in the results compared to what you normally do. At .30-.35 splits you will start to see a lot more, and you can start seeing when the shot CAN break and score an A, you will be watching the front sight like never before.

Speed will only get you so far..and you can't shoot faster than your vision will allow..otherwise you will crash..misses, Ds..

you must let you vision control...each target deserves its respect..no target is easy. find the middle of the target and shoot it.

when you are not shooting..do that stuff fast. get to position, do the reload, draw the gun.

my practice lately has been focused at shooting the middle of the targets, letting my vision break the shots..

my dryfire has been focused on my skills..draws, transistions, reloads, movement.

for whatever reason at a match..I have more confidence, I am more relaxed, have more calmness..

Edited by eerw

You have to get the proper mindset.

It's not about fast or slow. That is a speed focus. Lose it.

It is about vision. "Turn up" your vision. See more.

Reduced times on stages will come from being efficient, not from "going faster".

Yes, probably this is indeed "the" point ....

For what I have understood, even if I haven't a particular focus about speed, my tendency is to go "too-much-freely" without giving to every target the needed respect.

It's something like if my subconscious mind brings too much control over my conscious mind: even if we heard that we must shoot "subconsciously" I think that this isn't always good: one day GG Grauffel (Eric's Dad) has sayed to me:

"... Stefano, you must shoot with your head ! Not with your finger !! ...

I shoot Production, and I know the importance of shooting very good points, but at the moment I am shooting too many deltas and I whant defenetely to improve my points. ...

Your subconscious mind will deliver whatever it is that your conscious mind asks it to deliver.

Your issue is that you conscious mind is stuck on speed.

Your conscious mind can only hold one thought at a time.

You will need to replace your current conscious thought (speed) with a thought that is more positive...which gets better results.

(that thought is NOT "slow down"...that is still Speed thinking)

What one thought can you fix to your conscious mind that will improve your shooting performance?

How to increase precision (in EVERY situation)

That is easy aim smaller. :ph34r:

Much easier to say than to do I realize but you must focus on putting the bullet through the exact spot on the target you want to. If you are hitting a lot of deltas you are likely shooting at the target not at the center of the A. If you are really shooting at the center of the A and hitting Deltas it is time to work on trigger control.

I had been told this more than a few times before it finally clicked, before the timer goes off make it your true desire to hit the center of the A on each target.

How to increase precision (in EVERY situation)

That is easy aim smaller. :ph34r:

Much easier to say than to do I realize but you must focus on putting the bullet through the exact spot on the target you want to. If you are hitting a lot of deltas you are likely shooting at the target not at the center of the A. If you are really shooting at the center of the A and hitting Deltas it is time to work on trigger control.

I had been told this more than a few times before it finally clicked, before the timer goes off make it your true desire to hit the center of the A on each target.

Yeah, considering that in the last match (10 stages, almost 200 rounds) I've shot TEN Ds (most of them on easy targets...) for sure my issue is that too often I lose my "aiming-focus" and I shot generically at the brown, not at the A-zone ....

Every time I am driving to the shooting range I repeat in my mind: ".. front sight, front sight, front sight ...." but often during the match I discover that I lose my aiming-focus .... :(

Every time I am driving to the shooting range I repeat in my mind: ".. front sight, front sight, front sight ...." but often during the match I discover that I lose my aiming-focus .... :(

Why?

You have replaced it with something. You let something else creep in and take over your one conscious thought.

I like Matt Burkett's dvd which has a drill with 3 targets. T1 at 5-or 7y,....T2 at 15y,...and T3 at 25y. The drill from the PDF challenges drawing on near and transitioning to far,..Far to near,...15y to 25Y....etc... Lets you develop a target picture acceptable for different distances...really makes you concentrate on the front sight. I found if I don't try and slow down,..but allow the adequate sight picture for different distances regulate how fast I shoot. It seems slower,...but the times are telling me something else. I get lots of A's and if I am .5 seconds off it does not matter as much,...my A's help me win the stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, usually I like going "in deep" of the problem till I have solved it, and I think that this time I'm very near to the solution.... :rolleyes:

In these last days I've thinked about it again and again, and my conclusion is that when I drop points during a match is because I suffer a lack of VISUAL PATIENCE !!

I've carefully re-read Brian's book at the chapter where he defines the different types of visual focus, and the conclusion is that (unconsciously) I probably use vision type 2 (Throught the sights) where I should have a vision type 3 (shifting focus).

To those targets at mid-range distance I give less respect than they need and my focus remain on the target (type 2) instead of on the front sight (type 3).

Of course now I want to train adeguately on this "automatic switching" from target to front-sight:

do you have any good drill to suggest ?

Thanks

Edited by Stefano

A mental point to make. "There are no easy targets." Think about that. There is never an easy shot. All shots require the proper fundamentals. If it's wide open and 3 yards away, then the split should be 0.12 with 2 A's nearly touching. The intermediate and longer are self explanatory. Also look at your targets after you shoot. You should have nice small groups, 4" or less, each called. If not, your focus/visual patience was off.

This comes on the heels of me having two mikes at a major on the "easiest" stage there. Cost me a win.

Good luck

SHOOTING PRACTICE:

Before shooting, DRYFIRE ONLY!!( as this is the only chance we get at big matches..do not live fire, must be shot COLD shooting)

Good drill is to set up 3 HUMANOID STEELS AT 50, 25, 15..Steel target are great as you dont need to tape.(paint it target brown!)

then set up paper targets at 50,25,15 and see your hits.

Then do RECOIL MANAGEMENT drills and accuracy drills and trigger control drills 10repetition each!!

Repeat shooting at 50,25,15!! and you will see the difference.

MOVEMENT PRACTICE:

**Be agressive on your actions but SMOOTH on gun presentation to the target!!(What I noticed from The Jet and Eric the champ!)**

TECHNIQUE:

Practice all from the grip, reload, stance, accuracy, shooting on the move.

STAGE SHOOTING:

Set up a small stage for your self and 1)shoot agressively 2x note the score,then shoot it again but smooth note the score,then shoot it again but shoot target focus then note the score. LAST shoot the target and just put the Cmore scope glass on the target!! then note the score!.REMEMBER stick to Consistent results! What I found is that

shooting smooth is more consistant than shooting aggressively and this tends to give you a good result one day and then bad result the next??

**PAY ATTENTION ON YOUR STARTING MOVEMENT AND GRIP!!** Relax and have a mantra

10yrds AA..AA..AA..AA..25yrd A..A..50yrds A...................A

BEFORE LEAVING: shoot groups as small as you can get it.

AS YEARS GO BY, YOU WILL ONLY GET BETTER AND NOT WORSE!! Never practice bad shooting!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Thanks guys,

I'll take in evidence the tips of you both ! ;)

I was thinking that a very powerful tool for increasing visual patience and the type 3 vision (shifting focus from the target to the front sight) it could be founding a specific dryfire drill ....

But the only one that I can imagine at the moment is spraying on the wall some differend scaled target, and making casual transitions from one target to another paying attention to the correct sequence of focus:

target, front sight - target, front sight - target, front sight - target, front sight ........

Any other idea ?

Stefano,

I have such a dryfire drill. In fact, I think this is the most vital aspect of shooting to work on for iron sighted shooters.

I'm sure I've posted it. I'll try to find it.

Brian has posted a drill that is even more basic. His targets are closer together. I am thinking that some distance between the targets...at first...helps a shooter get a good start. So, I'd suggest starting with something like my drill and then graduation to Brian's drill later.

(I'll try to find links to the drills.)

Thanks guys,

I'll take in evidence the tips of you both ! ;)

I was thinking that a very powerful tool for increasing visual patience and the type 3 vision (shifting focus from the target to the front sight) it could be founding a specific dryfire drill ....

But the only one that I can imagine at the moment is spraying on the wall some differend scaled target, and making casual transitions from one target to another paying attention to the correct sequence of focus:

target, front sight - target, front sight - target, front sight - target, front sight ........

Any other idea ?

There was a drill posted once about shooting at a 5X8 card and backing up a yard at a time until the shots started landing off the card, then going back to the starting distance and use a 3X5 card to repeat. Brian talks about using the screws in a light switch cover. Proper sight is an art.

Stefano,

I have such a dryfire drill. In fact, I think this is the most vital aspect of shooting to work on for iron sighted shooters.

I'm sure I've posted it. I'll try to find it.

Brian has posted a drill that is even more basic. His targets are closer together. I am thinking that some distance between the targets...at first...helps a shooter get a good start. So, I'd suggest starting with something like my drill and then graduation to Brian's drill later.

(I'll try to find links to the drills.)

Flex,

didn't you found nothing for me ? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I dont' want to be unpolite: it's only because I care a LOT about this .... ;)

Thanks

So I read some training tips from Eric Grauffel that talked about how his Dad trained him. He would start with 10 mags and Dad would take one away for every "D" he shot. When he was out, they were done for the day. That got me to thinking about how to punish myself for "D's" or mikes. Today during practice, I started out with the idea of all "A's". I was doing a pretty good job of almost all "A's" with a couple of really close "C's". That is when I broke out the timer and the groups opened way up. The first string using the timer added 2 "C's" and a "D". Then it occured to me- 10 pushups (on the gravel range) for every "D" or mike. After 20 pushups, I was going to put away the timer and work on accuracy again. But I thought it over and forced myself to use the timer AND to ignore the timer. I tracked my times, but the "A's" were all that mattered. The funny thing is that my times would only go up by 1/2 second or so (on a 6 second string) shooting all "A's" vs "C's" and "D's".