Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backpack range bag choices?

Aircooled6racer

I know it's a tad late, but I have been using my Camelbak BFM at the range lately. Tons of room, compartments, and of course 3 liters of ice water on hand. I actually got mine for under a hundred at an auction, and it has held up well for a few hundred miles of trails and wilderness hikes over the last 2 years. I'm kinda liking it at the range a lot more than my other range bag.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo, let me get this straight...there are two large, separate compartments in the main bag? The non-ammo compartment is just a big "hole"? The pictures aren't very clear and there's no where around that I can "touch" a bag. Are there any outside pockets on the CED bag (other than the water bottle pocket)?

Thanks.

The right side of the CED back pack has a velcro opening where you can access your ammo compartment. There are straps on that same side so you can also attach your shooting belt or maybe a tripod. The left side holds the water bottle pocket.

Each of the two shoulder straps has a zippered pouch where you can put a cellphone or shooting glasses

There's also a used-casing pouch that you can attach to the side of the back

The main non-ammo compartment has a large inner pocket for putting the padded gun sleeve that comes with the bag.

Been using the CED backpack for two years now and haven't had any problems with it.

Hope this helps

Hello: I think Chuck would do a great job on a backpack but as he has said his design would get stolen and sold for less with the quality being less. My dad used to say buy the best you can afford so you will only have to buy it once. I think everyone has bought something because the price was right and then when it breaks they call it a piece of crap. Then they go out and buy the better item that they should have bought in the first place. I also think Chuck is looking at the number of items that he could sell. I have looked at the CED backpack and thought it was OK but the materials used was not really what I think it should have been. The little folding stool, is, well, a little small for those with a larger frame lets say. I am looking forward to seeing the pack I just bought and what material they use. Thanks, Eric

I think I like the design of the Guga Ribas backpack but, if my conversion is right...$565 plus shipping??? Looks like it'll be the Falcon for me. At least there's a local store that sells them for $95.

Edited by kmca

I think I like the design of the Guga Ribas backpack but, if my conversion is right...$565 plus shipping??? Looks like it'll be the Falcon for me. At least there's a local store that sells them for $95.

What store is that?

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....roducts_id=1650

They have 5 walk in stores. Looks like you're half way between two of them.

Edited by kmca

What store is that?

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....roducts_id=1650

They have 5 walk in stores. Looks like you're half way between two of them.

Okay decided to do some internet searching best price I found on the Maxpedition Falcon Blk or OD is $88.13 plus shipping about $9 ground

http://www.jadedistributing.com/index.php?...cPath=1468_1661

Another possibility similar size but at $67.77 is Tactical Operation Products

http://www.jadedistributing.com/index.php?...oducts_id=27240

Hello: The Maxpedition Lunada came today. It is a little smaller than I thought but will try it tomorrow and see. The quality of the pack is great. My wife said she would use it for a purse :wacko: I think it will be alright for a local match using 200 rounds or so and a little extra stuff. I will keep everyone posted and take some pics. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Actually I can fit the pistol in the part that faces your back. This time I just put the pistol in a gun rug to take to the safe table. Remember I wanted a small range pack. If I was buying one again I would get the Malaga gearslinger or the Falcon II. I will be adding some pockets etc to this pack to hold things a little better. I really like the sling pack and the construction of it is amazing. I looked at another CED backpack today and I think the Maxpedition packs are way better built. Thanks, Eric

Tru Street, it was a concept I was fooling around with last year and I was working with Eagle on this one. The pack has one large main compartment that allows you to put in your rig and the back of this compartment was fully lined with MOLLE so you could attached any pouch you want. In this one I had a holster for my pistol and a utility pouch to hold loose gear and such. We then created a separate compartment (right behind your back) with a removable padded case to hold either ammo boxes or a notebook. The front compartment, as you can see, held everything else including your mags (velcro removable).

The idea was to have a dual purpose backpack for both range/matches and also operational use. The problem is this......when and if you speak to anyone who uses one for matches, they want the bag to be able to sit straight up when you put it down. With this design, the weight (ammo), is against your back (traditional backpack concept) and a tad high, so when you put it down, it tends to fall over. So logically, it would not be easy to have one for both purposes. A range backpack will have to be simply that, for the range/matches. The design would almost certainly incorporate having the ammo at the bottom (like what you have seen) so that the pack sits up nicely.

I've working on the next prototype at the moment. Hope that helps explain the photos above. Feel free should you have any Qs.

Thanks.

That's great news i-SHOT, looking forward to the new design. Like KMCA said the Guga Ribas looks good but not locally available. Looking at your first picture, that part where the ammo boxes are should be where a pistol pouch (big enough for an Open gun) should go. Bottom part for at least 4 boxes of ammo and magazine holders for at lease six mags. I made a sketch which is very similar to your design just configured differently. Thanks for looking into this.

Hey Norbs,

I've been working on this for some time now, more out of frustration than anything else. I always have to run 2 packs; one for the matches and one for work overseas and sometimes the similarities are there so much so that I wanted one pack for both uses. I've come to the conclusion it ain't gonna be easy so I will focus on one for USPSA/IDPA first before anything else.

Those who know me know that I'm all ears all the time so please feel free should you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi I-Shot. If you come up with a design for a backpack I would like to see one of the main compartments sized to hold one of your Range Rugs. That would put the gun, mags and small accessories together and make the bag interchangeable for different divisions. And please have a compartment for the 100 oz. hydration bladder. :)

I have a couple of your bags and would love to see the backpack!

Hi I-Shot. If you come up with a design for a backpack I would like to see one of the main compartments sized to hold one of your Range Rugs. That would put the gun, mags and small accessories together and make the bag interchangeable for different divisions. And please have a compartment for the 100 oz. hydration bladder. :)

I have a couple of your bags and would love to see the backpack!

I'll second everything Dale says above. I've been thinking about getting one of the camelbak's but aren't overly happy with the packs they offer when it comes to using it as a range bag. Something that offers the best of both worlds would be nice.

For the last local match, I tried a new idea. I have a fold-up lawn chair that can be carried as a backpack, and it has a fairly large storage area in the seatback. Its big enough to carry the gun, ammo, eyes and ears, 3-4 bottles of water and a couple snacks, cleaning kit, parts/tools bag (so basically the size of a child's backpack). It has levels of recline, from 10-15 deg all the way back to nearly laying down.

Although I was SOing, so sitting down time was few and far between, it was nice to have my own place to really lounge (more than you'd get with a typical hunting seat), without having to lug around a chair in addition to a range bag.

The 5.11 Rush 24 backpack is Nationals proven and tested. I used this a couple times prior to this years LPR nationals, it is well worth it. Im sorry to say my Midway range bag, although a great range bag will never see the range again. This backpack has held everything that was in my Midway bag with room to spare. The biggest difference is its comfortable carrying ability. With 300 rounds of ammo and 3/1.5 liters of water inside it, ontop of everything else, it was not problem carrying around. The shoulder straps are well padded and carrying wasnt even a thought. I know with my old range bag it would be a burdensome task to haul it with everything inside around a range all day. Shooting 10 stages in the heat can be enough, carrying the essentials can add to a very long day. This backpack is a great asset to my shooting and match performance. Check it out here http://www.511tacticaldirect.com/5-11rush24bag.html

What is also nice about this backpack is that its water resistence is great. At this years LPR Nationals I traveled with someone who complained that his range bag was getting soaked internally. Items he had inside were getting destroyed and the bag had no resistence to water. I never really thought twice where I put my bag down, at the end of the day, no water or dampness to speak of. Im very thankful I purchased this ahead of time, its paid off in full. IMHO H!

Edited by hf219

Most of the time I carry at the range a CED range bag with ton of stuff inside, for the times I train with just one gun and no spare parts chrono or whatever I use a MAXPEDITION TACTICAL ATTACHE CASE.

Built like a rock, it can store easily 500 rds of ammo, my glock, a cleaning kit, my training log sheet and lots of small items.

better of all you can store your ammo on the bottom of the case and access them easily.

I also gladly recommend a MAXPEDITION ROLLYPOLLY medium size to collect brass or to store rounds.

this is the tactical attache case:

pict520_233443_199big_01.jpg