Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backpack range bag choices?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I thought I would start a thread on range backpacks. I am going to try a regular backpack this weekend to see how I like it and what options would be nice to have. For those of you that use backpacks maybe you could list the ones you like and what you like to see changed on them. I know for me I don't need/want a monster backpack since I have had large range bags and sold them since they are so heavy when full. Let me know what you guys and gals think. Thanks, Eric

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheers: Hi Eric I am also a fan of the back pack,

range bags are to much of a pain, I see shooters

with all kinds of packs on at shoots. I will be watching

to see how much info you are given on this matter.

Good luck!

The Maxpedition Falcon II is awesome. Its as if it was made for this sport. I carried 600 rounds of ammo and all my shooting gear to the Nats and it carries like a dream and is compartmentalized perfectly.

Maxpedition gear is good strong stuff and made to last. I highly recommend their gear.

I purchase all my stuff from a local company who is a full stocking mail order vendor for them. Check them out at EMGear

Check out the CED Shooter's backpack and the Guga Ribas shooting backpack.

They have individual compartments for your ammo boxes which you can access without having to take out the rest of your stuff.

They have a places to stow your gun, used casings, shooting glasses, cellphone, mags and scoresheets

They even come with a small collapsible stool for you to sit on or place your backpack on if the ground is wet or muddy.

The Guga Ribas backpack even has built in hydration system.

these are the links:

http://www.eco-comex.se/gugaribas/english/bag.htm

http://www.doublealpha.biz/shop.htm

I've got a Dillon backpack, and it appears to be the same one that CED is now selling - Dillon dropped it a few years back. I won it at my first major IDPA match in '98, and used it again at a major IDPA match yesterday, plus all my trips to the range and matches in between. The ammo compartment on the bottom holds four fifty round Midway plastic boxes of .45, and maybe five of 9x19 if you push hard. ;) The straps haven't shown any signs of wear. An outside comparment holds seven double stack, or 14 single stack mags. The seat is pretty worthless as a seat, but makes a nice foot stool.

All in all, I think it's a good deal for a range bag.

The Maxpedition Falcon II is awesome. Its as if it was made for this sport. I carried 600 rounds of ammo and all my shooting gear to the Nats and it carries like a dream and is compartmentalized perfectly.

Maxpedition gear is good strong stuff and made to last. I highly recommend their gear.

I purchase all my stuff from a local company who is a full stocking mail order vendor for them. Check them out at EMGear

That;s a nice looking pack. This has my interest. Do you use seperate plactic containiers for tools/parts? Just wondering how you pack the equipment. I've used the Shooters Connection Tournament bag and am thinking a back pack might be nice. My bag carries everything I need but gets prettty heavy.

FYI...

The Falcon II can also be had at LA Police Gear http://www.lapolicegear.com/mafaba1.html

Qualifies for free shipping and free Nalgene type water bottle.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/maxpedition2.html

And there is a knock-off of the Falcon from Cheaper than Dirt:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/PACK120-1.html

Hello: I just used my plan backpack today to see what I would need in a backpack. Lots of outside pockets to hold mags, ammo boxs, glasses, and some other odds and ends. It is a pain getting the ammo boxs out from the inside of the bag. The ammo boxs need to be low in the backpack so it will not fall over. The bottom or low side pockets should work. I like having a place to put the mags in a pocket as well. It is nice to have inside pockets for your wallet,watch and car keys. I carry a small cooler for my drinks so I don't need a cup holder on the backpack. I don't need/want a hydration system for me personally. I do like the way a backpack carries better than a large range bag. I will start looking this week for a backpack that will work for me. I am trying to find one that costs less than $80. I will keep everyone posted on what I find. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I thought I would start a thread on range backpacks. I am going to try a regular backpack this weekend to see how I like it and what options would be nice to have. For those of you that use backpacks maybe you could list the ones you like and what you like to see changed on them. I know for me I don't need/want a monster backpack since I have had large range bags and sold them since they are so heavy when full. Let me know what you guys and gals think. Thanks, Eric

I use a Pygmy for pistol matches. It's nice and small.

It has the two net compartments on the side that's big enough for nalgene type water bottles. I prefer bottles to Camel back type hydration systems for matches. Bottles are easier to fill with ice... easier to clean... can put other crap into it (snacks)... etc.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/mapyfaiiba.html

The back of the pack also has Molle compatible webbing. I currently have a TT dump pouch attached.

Hello: I like the idea of a smaller backpack just like a smaller range bag :D I will be looking all week to see what is out there. The computer backpacks are nice since they have a padded area that could be used as a gun protector and also have places to store pens,wallet etc. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I like the idea of a smaller backpack just like a smaller range bag :D I will be looking all week to see what is out there. The computer backpacks are nice since they have a padded area that could be used as a gun protector and also have places to store pens,wallet etc. Thanks, Eric

I've got several backpacks mostly of the smaller version. While I too like smaller rangebags (and have them) I prefer to carry everything I might need and not rely on others. Smaller is better from a weight perspective. I've been researching the Maxpedition models since they were mentioned above. While the Pigmy looks to be therotically about the ideal size I'm not sure it will hold the gun gear as well as clothing like rain gear or cold weather gear. That said the Falcon II seems to be the right call. Having the extra compartment and size is nice even if you don't use them.

Keep us posted what you discover. I received a Cleveland Glof backpack at my last tournament. It's padded, has many compartments but I think it may run on the small side. A friend of mine has the CED backpack I'll check into what he carries and how he likes it and post here this week.

I just saw the Maxpedition bag today at the Nationals. General Cheng probably thought I was too interested in his range bag.... :roflol:

After we introduced ourselves and he was convinced I wasn't trying to steal it he opened it up and I have to say it rocks. If I were looking for a rangebag backpack I'd consider it among the top contenders.

Check out the CED Shooter's backpack and the Guga Ribas shooting backpack.

They have individual compartments for your ammo boxes which you can access without having to take out the rest of your stuff.

They have a places to stow your gun, used casings, shooting glasses, cellphone, mags and scoresheets

They even come with a small collapsible stool for you to sit on or place your backpack on if the ground is wet or muddy.

The Guga Ribas backpack even has built in hydration system.

these are the links:

http://www.eco-comex.se/gugaribas/english/bag.htm

http://www.doublealpha.biz/shop.htm

Soooo, let me get this straight...there are two large, separate compartments in the main bag? The non-ammo compartment is just a big "hole"? The pictures aren't very clear and there's no where around that I can "touch" a bag. Are there any outside pockets on the CED bag (other than the water bottle pocket)?

Thanks.

kmca

CED doesn't really have outside pockets other than the one that holds the magazines shown in the photo although it comes with detachable pouches for the shoulder straps, plus other accessories. I wish they would display a photo of a bag in a different color than black, looks like one big shadow.

AikiDale what model bag was Gen Chang using? Maxpedition qualitiy doesn't get any better than this. I like extra compartments rather than just one big one. It's easier to keep things organized.

CED ?? cu inches $75

17.5"x13.5"x9.5" main

magazine pouch (5? Mags) lower front

Falcon II 1520 cu inches $110

18.o"x4.5"x4.8" main

16.0"x8.0"x3.0" second

4.0"x7"0"x2.5" upper front

10"x7.0"x2.5" lower front

post-3095-1220902855_thumb.jpg

post-3095-1220903218_thumb.jpg

Edited by rwmagnus

Hi everyone, I have used every range bag type configuration etc. But I have found something that I truly love. I am using a cart from first strike products. It is a chair with wheels has a range bag, cooler, can be configured for three gun or high power. They are expensive but I tell you what they are worth every dime I spent.

Now I can store all the stuff in my range bag in my cart.

The most I have had in there is as follows:

600 rounds of 40

mag brush, 6 mags, soft cover for gun, rain cover for cart, cooler with gallon of water and lunch, tool kit.

Now some hills if it is raining are a little difficult but with cleats I have not fallen yet.

And the great thing if it rains I don't care five seconds and the whole thing is covered with the rain trap including me if needed and everything is well off the ground. Best thing I don't have to carry a bag and chair.

Only down side is that everyone else wants to use it as well... :unsure:

Any way it is worth the $ and I am attaching the link for you all.

http://www.first-strike-products.com/

AikiDale what model bag was Gen Chang using? Maxpedition qualitiy doesn't get any better than this. I like extra compartments rather than just one big one. It's easier to keep things organized.

Falcon II 1520 cu inches $110

18.o"x4.5"x4.8" main

16.0"x8.0"x3.0" second

4.0"x7"0"x2.5" upper front

10"x7.0"x2.5" lower front

I didn't ask but I believe it was the Falcon II.

Hello: I looked at the Maxpedition packs and they look good. The Pygmy Falcon II and the Lunada Gearslinger look good. The Gearslinger is setup inside to hold some stuff but it is a shoulder bag not a backpack which is alright as well. There stuff looks really well made and thought out. I'll keep looking and you guys do the same but make it a little less creepy--OK :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Have you check out the Beretta Trident Range Pack? Its $65 (ableammo lists it for $45). It might fit your needs.

JA104A_TridentRangeBag_L.jpg

I wish I could provide a review, but I don't have one. I have given it some thought since the price seems right.

Michael

Hello: Update. Well I just could not wait any longer. I broke down and ordered a Maxpedition Lunada Gearslinger. It has the pockets and places to put stuff. It also has places to install all sorts of holders and pockets. The other Maxpedition packs I was looking at are the Pygmy Falcon II and the Colossus. My original idea is for a smaller type range backpack. I will see how the Lunada will work for me. Other packs I looked at were the Oakley Skate,Surf,AP 3.0 and the Panel. I also looked at the Adidas Randall sport pack and Copa Edge. The Under Armour Trainer,Men's Cage2 and Option. The one thing I noticed about the regular type backpacks was the material was not as strong as even our standard range bags. The one problem I noticed about looking at backpacks is that the pics really don't show you everything very well. I did do a search and found alot of info about Maxpedition and even a video or 2. Once the pack comes in I will let everyone know what I think of it good or bag :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Hello: Update. Well I just could not wait any longer. I broke down and ordered a Maxpedition Lunada Gearslinger. It has the pockets and places to put stuff. It also has places to install all sorts of holders and pockets. The other Maxpedition packs I was looking at are the Pygmy Falcon II and the Colossus. My original idea is for a smaller type range backpack. I will see how the Lunada will work for me. Other packs I looked at were the Oakley Skate,Surf,AP 3.0 and the Panel. I also looked at the Adidas Randall sport pack and Copa Edge. The Under Armour Trainer,Men's Cage2 and Option. The one thing I noticed about the regular type backpacks was the material was not as strong as even our standard range bags. The one problem I noticed about looking at backpacks is that the pics really don't show you everything very well. I did do a search and found alot of info about Maxpedition and even a video or 2. Once the pack comes in I will let everyone know what I think of it good or bag :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I personally think the Lunada is too small. I have the Malaga and find it barely big enough to carry minimally what I need to a local pistol match but your mileage may vary. Maxpedition is rock solid gear. I have several of their packs and love their quality,construction versatility.